SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Are you old enough to remember?

1/22/23 @ 7:45 PM
INITIAL POST
rufflefeather
PRO MEMBER User since 10/23/20

in the 1980s you needed to apply for doe tags. were we hunted in black river falls we would get a doe tag every other year most of the time. I was a kid and would have to pass on so many does every year it was ridiculous. Sometimes several dozen just on opening weekend .. Now you might see 1 opening weekend, if your lucky.  But you could have a pocket full of doe tags ... 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts
3/3/23 @ 10:41 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13
The arm band was a visual identification that authorized the shooting of a doe.  Any person of the four applicants could shoot the doe, as long as they were wearing the arm band at the time of shooting.  Although it was a quite common practice that any of the four would shoot the deer and then give the shooter the arm band. 
Back in those days,  Wardens were few and violations were plentiful. Hunting violations and fines were not that serious like they are now. 
3/3/23 @ 10:19 AM
clueless
User since 10/24/04
I started hunting at age 12 in 1978. We had a party permit that year. My brother is 3 years older and had not shot a deer yet and he got to wear the arm band. I believe it was 1980 when you started applying for a hunter choice tag. This allowed you to shoot a deer of either sex in a specific game managment unit. Tag was only good for gun season. We’ll back then archery tag was either or.
3/3/23 @ 1:06 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08
Old hunter I think you’re absolutely right. I didn’t remember the arm band but believe that. Actually I kind of do......My first year hunting at the age of 12 was 1963. We had a party of about 8 guys, all but my dad and I went home to work the short work week prior to Thanksgiving. When they returned ....they said JFK had been shot.....we hovered around the only radio we had available  which was in a guys car and no hunting was done that day. Those are my earliest recollections of my hunting 
3/2/23 @ 8:22 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12
Oldhunter, party permits were still going in the mid 70's, maybe even a few years after.  Was no such thing as letting the kids shoot, the old guys usually filled the tag before I got a chance.  Still happy to have that chance though.
3/2/23 @ 11:06 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13
With the party permits, if my cloudy memory is correct, when you purchased a deer license, there was a tear off stub that was a application for the party permit.  It had all your info on it and such.  I'm positive that only one person, as long as they had all four stubs could get the permit. No need for all for to be present.  Where my memory is a little foggy is if you had to go to the county courthouse or if you  could send in mail. 

If you were  able to get a party permit, you received a identified metal leg tag and a colored arm band tag that had to be worn around the arm of the authorized doe shooter . Anybody of the four hunters could shoot the doe as long as they had the arm band and deer tag. Usually most party permit groups would select a young beginning hunter  to shoot the doe. Another well used term for the permit was " Camp Meat " 

The party permits were discontinued shortly after I began hunting. Maybe some where's around the late sixties. 

Those were the  days, when hunting was hunting.
3/1/23 @ 11:41 PM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08
I remember when my dad went to the courthouse in Neilsville WI prior to the season and wait in line to “possibly” get what was known as a party permit. It covered 4 guys. They didn’t give out many so you had to be in line early! what I can’t remember is if all 4 people had to be there? There were no computers, no texting, there were still party lines on the phone systems. Not easy for them to get personal information like now-a-days.
i also remember being in Holubs tavern in Humbird Wi with my dad at a very early age and this tall, thin, very tanned guy comes in. He’s got a western style pistol in a holster on his hip. I asked my dad who was he and why did he have that gun? A guy next to my dad overheard me and said.  “Musky Fisherman......when he hooks one and gets it near the boat he shoots them”    Quite a bit different than today, eh?  
sorry for the boring stories
2/2/23 @ 7:30 PM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

goju, We have a few picks of bears before my time in the photo albums from gun seasons.

2/2/23 @ 5:24 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

Luv2Hunt,  your memory is correct.  The deer license was really a big game license and it was legal to shoot a bear.  I remember the party tags also being called camp meat tags.  When I started hunting, the group I was with did not - absolutely NOT - shoot does.  I used to sell my application tag to my shop teacher.  

Course, I'm old enough to remember a friend earning money trapping and used some of it to order a .22 revolver from the Sears catalog.  He was 12 or 13 at the time.  He sent them a check and they sent him the gun.  

I also remember hunting dinosaurs.

2/2/23 @ 5:55 AM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

Eenie meanie miny mo was a legitimate means of picking teams or rendering decisions in general.

Boy, try that nowadays . . . . .

Looking to dig into more data?

Step up and unlock historical postings by upgrading to Lake-Link Pro for as little as $2.99!

More Info

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE