LOGIN
Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Aging deer using tooth sample

3/19/20 @ 8:23 AM
ORIGNAL POST
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

My brother in law shot a giant this year and I told him I'd drop the jaw bone off at the DNR station to have it aged. He texted me inquiring about it last night, so I thanked him for the reminder and took it out of my freezer lol.

Out of curiosity for those who know what they're looking for, can you tell just by looking at the teeth? Or does one need to get pulled for a different view? The first pic is a side by side with mine from 2013. And pics of the deer because, well...just because     It seems like they would be the same age, but I have no true idea. And if I had to guess, I'd say 3 1/2.  The bodies on both were not huge...maybe 150-180 lbs, so I don't think they would be any older, but those would probably be some pretty big 2 1/2 year olds...based on my expert opinion lol. 

Hope they're open today...it's my last day working in the office for the foreseeable future and it's right across the street. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/21/20 @ 3:56 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

What are these elderly deer using the tooth samples for?

3/20/20 @ 1:37 PM
CWScoach
User since 6/7/18

Aging deer by tooth wear has proven to be a fair way to check the age of a deer but often very unreliable.  General populations believe all deer are the same but they are no different than people.  Some have good teeth, some have bad.  Some eat food with a lot of dirt and some are dainty.  The most accurate way is to send a tooth in to a lab like this.....https://deerage.com/

The website has logic to explain the reasoning behind the inaccuracies of just looking at a jaw.  The WI DNR does it for bear, bobcats, fishers and otters every year.

3/20/20 @ 9:08 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Thanks for sharing! I'll give them a look and compare to the pics to see what we're looking at. 

3/20/20 @ 4:42 AM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

This one is the best after a short search.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0755.pdf

3/19/20 @ 3:50 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

There are several informational sites online with pictures and descriptions of wear. Just google aging deer by tooth wear.

3/19/20 @ 12:32 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Both of these were farmland deer so they were definitely well fed, but yeah, probably need to have someone who knows what they're doing provide an answer instead of a guess. As far as aging deer on the hoof, that I can see being pretty accurate if you have enough angles and good pictures. Heard it has a lot to do with the belly sag. Obviously a lot of factors to consider like environment, genetics, nutritional sources, etc.  

3/19/20 @ 11:40 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

I am no expert but I think people need to see the side profile of the teeth to see the wear pattern. I have shot several 4.5+ bucks in northern Wisconsin big woods and i don't think i have broke the 200# mark yet. Having years of history with many different bucks I would say its VERY rare for one to have the mass of the buck you posted with the big brows and only be 3.5. But every deer is different and food, genetics and winter severity play a giant roll too. I laugh when guys post pictures of deer on the hoof asking people to age them. Its super hard to give an educated guess on a deer that doesn't live in the area you hunt. Deer behind my house have bigger bodies than deer in the area I spend most of my time hunting which is only a half hour from my house. Probably doesn't help at all other than my first sentence. Thats my $0.02 though. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.