Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

A chance to do something about the wolf problem

1/8/15 @ 7:49 AM
ORIGNAL POST
land man
User since 9/12/06
Most of us here are upset about the judge's decision to relist wolves as endangered species. Montana and Idaho had a similar problem in 2012 and their legislators were able to attach an amendment to a budget bill that removed wolves from the endangered species list for their states. Our legislators could do the same thing and solve this problem.

As sportsmen, we should be contacting Ron Johnson, Tammy Baldwin and whomever your congressman is, depending upon your district. This is a federal problem and cannot be solved on a state level. The latest congressional session started on January 6, and them must pass some spending bills or else we will have another shutdown, which both parties want to avoid.

I have already contacted both senators and Sean Duffy, since I live in the 7th district. I hope you all will do the same to end this wolf mess once and for all. We have a great opportunity now. Just google search their offices and send them an e-mail. It will take about 5 minutes of your time and cost you nothing.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/14/15 @ 1:44 PM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
User since 8/31/11
No more Elk in WI please. Clam Lake herd was a fail, and the most recent attempt to relocate 20 animals in the flambeau river state forest was a complete waste of money. They built a 10 acre enclosed holding pen 10' feet high wrapped in tarp so nobody could see in. How much do you think that cost to build? As of opening weekend of rifle 10 of the 20 released were already dead. Hunting dollars hard at work, better hire 4 more elk biologists.

1/14/15 @ 12:13 PM
duxup
MEMBER since 8/5/05
I think most hunters agree that the wolf can have a place in the WI ecosystem, just not one that in unregulated. Their population needs to be controlled otherwise that is an unknown variable in the management equation. It's hard enough to get a handle on when we are managing it and having it be unchecked is simply unacceptable. Too bad the anti's don't understand that.

Duxup

1/14/15 @ 10:54 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01
"weeeding out the sick,the lame and the old there by actually helping the herd become stronger by ensuring only the best genes are past forward."

This statement is false. Do you realize that wolves can take down moose and elk? Do you honestly think that there is a whitetail deer alive in Wisconsin today that the wolves couldn't kill? Christ, in Clam Lake they appeared to figure out how to hunt down prime breeding age cow elk as they cut from the herd to give birth. Those weren't sick, lame, or old. You need to take a look at the physical capabilities of the wolf before making a statement like that. It would be like me saying that you could toss Clay Matthews on the field of a pee-wee footbal game and it would be competitive and that only the best players would survive. He would murder them, all. He is physically capable of sticking it to 320# offensive tackles. Try again.

Also, have you ever read up on the wolf moose study in Isle Royale? When wolves crossed the ice and made it to the island, the researches thought exactly that would happen. That the wolves would settle into a baseline with the moose population and that x amount of wolves would consume y amount of sick, lame, and old moose each year and it would be a balanced healthy population of both. Well, that hasn't happened much to the surprise of the experts who had been claiming that is how wolves are. No, the wolves could kill anything and would do so until the population of prey would crash. Then the moose would spike, then the wolves would spike, and it kept being cyclical. Lately, the moose have had some other issues, but you get the point.

1/14/15 @ 10:36 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01
"also this wolf re-listing demonstrates once again that politicians, both liberals and conservatives, need to stay the hell out of wildlife management. they don't have a clue what they are talking about and make fools of themselves."

No, this wolf re-listing demonstrates that the anti's will stop at nothing to derail any wolf management plan that does anything other than let wolves exist without restrictions or controls. Minnesota and Michigan aren't hardly doing anything with their wolves and after 3 years with Wisconsin's program we have started to inch towards the goal. As for politicians staying out of wildlife management, I would agree except our management has been infiltrated by people such as the politicized wolf loving Adrian Wydeven. I certainly don't trust Adrian with wolf managment. The anti's will balk at every plan that results in dead wolves. Anyone remember the anti's fighting the proposed Wisconsin dove season for a few years in the early 2000's? It is a season in which the harvest is equivalent to tossing a deck chair off the Titanic and they fought it tooth and nail for years. So, I'm comfortable with some politicians legislatively working to remove wolves from the endangered species act in the uppper midwest.

1/14/15 @ 7:36 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
Why is the wolf the problem? They are a natural part of the system and without them the herd grows unchecked which leads to over grazing and over population. As a top predator, they should have a place in the scheme of things, weeeding out the sick,the lame and the old there by actually helping the herd become stronger by ensuring only the best genes are past forward. You should not fear the wolf, rather welcome it into its rightful place in nature. Deer are food and sport, for people and wolves alike. Just my 2 cents.

1/13/15 @ 9:20 PM
NorthwoodsLabs
User since 1/7/13
i get a kick out of reading the comments of deer only hunters about wolves. ethics has been completely thrown out the window. whining about wolves has become as synonymous with deer hunting as blaze oragnge.

also this wolf re-listing demonstrates once again that politicians, both liberals and conservatives, need to stay the hell out of wildlife management. they don't have a clue what they are talking about and make fools of themselves.

1/13/15 @ 9:15 PM
NorthwoodsLabs
User since 1/7/13
to defund wolf management is just another publicity stunt by tom tiffany to appeal to the masses of hunters who hunt deer during the gun deer season and that is it.

wolf population dynamics, distributions, etc. have an impact on many species of wildlife as well as people. also you can't manage an ecosystem by just ignoring certain species. as aldo leopauld said everything is connected. tom tiffany is clueless

1/13/15 @ 8:47 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
"Why not volunteer to help with the counts to help correct the numbers? Work with the DNR to use trail cams, spotting, tracking collars and other methods to better estimate the population?"

Why? With the legislature considering to completely defund wolf management in WI, this might not even be an option anyway. Why pay to manage wolves at a state level when the EPA will not let states manage the population? I completely back defunding wolf management programs in WI, and hope the legislators pass a bill that WI wardens cannot pursue illegal wolf killing unless WI is allowed to manage wolf populations. If the EPA expects the states to protect the wolf population, let the states manage the population. We already have numbers that are WAY above the DNR wolf population goal, and for whatever reason they refused to bring wolves to goal anyway. What difference does it make if there are an estimated 600 wolves or 6,000 wolves if the DNR will not manage the numbers to predetermined population objectives? We have already seen that sound science and population estimates doesn't matter once decisions get passed to liberal judges.

As a side note, I am sick that DNR is spending money once again to bring in more elk from KY. This should help the wolf population since it will bring more food into the state. The deer population is already to a point where wolves have trouble finding deer to eat, so thanks DNR for spending money on KY grouse habitat improvements to help feed our wolves.

Puke

1/13/15 @ 8:40 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01
"The reason anti's are so successful is that they are very good at public relations, litigation and lobbying. They are organized and very efficient at what they do."

No, they are very good at judge shopping. They seem to be very good at ending up in Federal court with the initial judge picked by Carter, Clinton, or Obama. Take the latest incident for example, judge was selected by Obama. It'll get overturned at some point, but they don't mind tossing some sand in the gears for a year or two. A lot of people overlook the importance of Federal Judge and Supreme Court Justice nominations when they cast that Presidential ballot every 4 years. It realistically is much more important than their policy goals, as Congress is responsible for drafting the policy, and these nominations once confirmed have consequences that can last decades afther they have left office.

Thanks to Land Man for good advice. I have already followed through with it and recommend the same. Feel pretty good with Glenn Grothman as my new representative, as I had talked with im in the past when he was my State Senator. He is in the sportsman's corner.

1/12/15 @ 11:50 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
I would by far prefer to see this handled via legal means rather than taking the strategy of "If you don't agree with the law, break it." That path gives anti-hunting advocates free reign to denigrate hunters as a group of people shooting anything they can. It will also give them ammunition to advocate for further protections and hinder efforts to remove them from the list. The reason anti's are so successful is that they are very good at public relations, litigation and lobbying. They are organized and very efficient at what they do. They use bad/skewed data to prove points and the poaching of wolves is just another weapon they can use to "prove" that the wolves need protection. It also helps to remember that sportsmen are not just up against the anti-hunting groups but also the local tribal nations in regards to wolves.

Everyone keeps saying that the population estimates are off due to bad sampling. Why not volunteer to help with the counts to help correct the numbers? Work with the DNR to use trail cams, spotting, tracking collars and other methods to better estimate the population? And once you have an accurate population estimate then pursue a rider/amendment to get wolves removed and open up limited hunting again? Fight fire with fire and use their own tactics against them. Point and counterpoint. If you can destroy the case for protecting wolves, you can remove that protection.

I'm not a big hunter, and this has very little impact on me personally but it does affect sportsmen as a whole. Every win for the ant-hunting establishment removes rights and freedoms for all sportsmen.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.