Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Worm Hunting

4/8/15 @ 6:13 PM
ORIGNAL POST
candr1
User since 11/22/09
Who got themselves some worms this morning after the rain (Southern WI area)? Picked up about 5 dozen. Mostly angleworms out this morning - had to walk a ways to get that many good nightcrawlers. Seems the first good rain or two in the spring mostly angleworms come out. Then the big nightcrawlers start to show after that. I usually get 200-300 each spring. That lasts me most of the summer. After trying different things I can finally keep them alive about that long.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/29/15 @ 2:24 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
When I was younger I used to sell bait for some money (at 12 it allowed me to buy baseball cards and fishing stuff!). I used to use the store bought bedding and found that about 4-5 inches of bedding is all you need. Anything deeper and they won't go that deep anyway. I would imagine tupperware would work great, but I always used ice cream buckets. I would cover them with damp newspaper. I had nightcrawlers and regular garden worms and kept most of them alive throughout the winter.

And as said, always remove the dead ones ASAP.

4/25/15 @ 9:03 AM
candr1
User since 11/22/09
After a coupe years of trial and error. I have found about 100 to 150 worms in about a liter size Tupperware dish is about the right size. Keep in fridge.....tried the basement and coolers etc. but fridge is the only thing that's worked for me through the summer. The frabil worm beading is easy vs using dirt which is messy in coolers, fridge, or in the boat. Put some Big and Sassy worm food in once or twice. Change beding mid summer. Always take out dead ones at least once a week...and don't put half crawlers back in when fishing. I have been keeping them alive through sept by doing this for the past couple years.

1/21/11 @ 2:47 PM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
I've been picking my own night crawlers fir a long time also have a night crawler stand running the last few years. I've tried alot of different things. From top soil, buss bedding, leaves and newspapers. I now only use news paper. I shred it up, but not any of the Shiney ads. Get it til it's just wet enough that if squeezed hard only a few drops come out. I keep mine in a 55 gallon drum cut in half about 1/3 full of newspaper bedding. I have an old sleeping bag wrapped around it and keep it in the garage. During the hot months I'll drop a couple ice packs in there and they'll stay frozen for a few days at least. Water occasionally. I go through worms really fast so I can keep around 50 dozen at a time. But if I wanted to keep the same nightcrawlers alive for a long time I would keep more than 20 dozen at a time. The More Worms You Have The More Bedding You need. Hope this helps. O and get rid of any dead ones asap

4/13/15 @ 9:05 AM
whatsnew1978
User since 1/24/14
Any advice for keeping them alive?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.