LOGIN
Lake-Link

When can you start trapping leeches?

4/15/18 @ 6:32 PM
ORIGNAL POST
ShootCatchEat
ShootCatchEat
User since 11/4/11

Wondering when I can start trapping leeches if anyone does? Does the temp matter?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/11/18 @ 9:07 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Grandad, I do the same.  One thing don't use chlorinated water.  If you live in the cities you have chlorinated water.  I do live in hte cities, I keep them in hte fridge in a cooler, and willl purchase gallons of spring water otr bring water home from the cabin for them.

6/5/18 @ 9:12 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Temp doesn't figure into it at all.  Leeches don't have feet.

5/31/18 @ 6:17 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Why trap them Minnesota Leeches in Milwaukee sells them buy the pound! Change water every 3 days feed fish head once a month and they last 8-9 months ! Have been doing it for 20 yrs!Grandad

5/29/18 @ 3:26 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

Humphrey Bogart in "the African Queen" didn't like them either....get 'em off me.... the little buggers,... the little buggers!

5/4/18 @ 9:02 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I used to dip my youngest son in  the stagnant pools. Man, they were on him like flies on honey. After just 5 min I would pull him out and pull off a jar full! Now he won’t even go Fishin wit me any more, what the Hey?

5/3/18 @ 8:42 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

If you trap know the leeches --  beware!! Horse leech more common in wis prefers soft bottoms kind of greenish brown in color but a POOR walleye bait, I think something in them that repels fish. The black leech excellent walleye bait, prefers rocky bottoms, likely more abundant in Minnesota then Wis.

5/3/18 @ 6:22 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Leeches are my go to bait for bass, Walleye, and small ones for Perch and gills. I never get skunked with leeches.

5/2/18 @ 8:46 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

I don't know...... but from a Midwest Outdoors article I read a few years back, the water has to warm up a bit. The best ponds or lakes to try are ones that are shallow and mucky and probably froze right to the bottom killing all of the fish. Fishing leaches are predatory, catching and eating small stuff they catch wiggling in the muck. They are not the blood suckers (parasitic leeches) you see on your ankles after wading, or the ones hooked to the gills of a fish you catch. Trapping involves folded sheets of metal with bait smeared between the plates. The Minnesotans love leeches for walleyes..... not so much in Wisconsin. For some reason the leeches you buy in Minn. are huge compared to the bait shop version in our state.

4/16/18 @ 6:06 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Do you know how to do it? I don’t. But I do know they are raised in certain environmental conditions that don’t exist very much in Wisconsin. Heard most of them come from Minnesota. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.