MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Tom Boley Fishing Show on YouTube

6/25/21 @ 3:32 PM
INITIAL POST
Big Lake Hoosier
Big Lake Hoosier
User since 9/2/20

Since the Gillespie and Smith forums are active, I wanted to see who watched Tom Boley?  His guide service is listed on this site but I've really enjoyed his YouTube videos.  He is humorous and very informative, often describing at length how he's fishing the lure and how he utilizes the electronics. This year he had a Top 5 Walleye Lures for Early Spring where he wasn't even in the boat and a few weeks ago a similar episode for summer.  Highly recommend but also wonder what YOU think and what you have LEARNED from his videos.  I would also encourage you to subscribe if you like it.  Subscriptions help support him to continue to create content.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TomBoley/featured

Displaying 1 to 15 of 41 posts
7/10/22 @ 9:07 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I was watching Tom this morning and he was trying to avoid using slip bobbers.  Essentially, he said he's caught so many walleyes on slip bobbers it's kinda like fishing smallies on beds.  

It probably went over a lot guys head but I thought it was a good dig on bed fishing.

6/17/22 @ 8:28 AM
Jellymaker
Jellymaker
User since 9/15/17

I've had the app for a couple months. You pick time of year (based on water temp) then water body ( flowage, fiver or lake) . The app then shows you locations to look at,  several presentations to use for each, and how to use them. Especially useful when fishing somewhere you haven't fished. Cheap guide service.

6/14/22 @ 9:59 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

BLH said - "I’ve got WalleyeNow premium for a month, it’s good and Better than digging through his YouTube library but I wish I could get even more specific to lake size, avg/max depth, and water clarity."

I've been watching his videos for quite a while. I can't for the life of me figure out what the app even is (I don't have it). He says stuff like "if you want to know the spot get the app." What does that mean? He'll give you the GPS coordinates to the spot he's fishing? He makes it sound like it, but I doubt that's true. Is the app simply a table of contents that organizes his youtube video's? The more hints and pieces I get about the app, that seems like what it is.

Is the app kind of like a t-shirt? You can get a plain cotton one at wal-mart for 3-4 bucks, but one bought off an influencer's web-site with his logo is 30 bucks. Your supporting his persona by paying extra for his brand?  

6/3/22 @ 9:50 PM
Big Lake Hoosier
Big Lake Hoosier
User since 9/2/20

I’ve got WalleyeNow premium for a month, it’s good and Better than digging through his YouTube library but I wish I could get even more specific to lake size, avg/max depth, and water clarity.  The free videos for humminbird settings were great.

5/20/22 @ 12:54 PM
07 fatboy
User since 5/27/10

Anyone try the new walleye now app ? if so, how did you like it

4/1/22 @ 12:45 PM
gray fox
gray fox
PRO MEMBER User since 2/22/08

He is a good guy.  Very knowledgeable, YouTube videos are filled with information for the average fisherman.  Now he has a APP...."Walleye Now", with lots of information.  Wish him the best!! 

3/31/22 @ 11:24 AM
kmanster
kmanster
User since 7/5/06

My son, his buddies and I do check out his vids from time to time.  I like him and his vids.

3/31/22 @ 11:04 AM
fishnfanatic
User since 12/8/07

Another great couple videos from Tom.  He has the best show in terms of tips for electronics and up to date walleye fishing tactics.  Blessed to live in central WI and utilize his information on my own waters, or in recent videos head to Green Bay.  I avoid the Fox but once you can get out on the main water I will be heading over.  Not sure where he launched from in his most recent video, but appears some landings must be open to get out on the bay.  

Good luck all and play nice.   

2/4/22 @ 11:55 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

All you have to do is read the Gillespie and Larry Smith threads on this site.  People are asking where they were fishing very often.  Far more are thinking it and not posting on lake-link.  This site is a small handful of posters and a lot of readers.  Any time you put out a video, people are going to try and figure it out.  I assume that's what they don't like.  You'd have to be blind to not see it, it happens constantly.

2/3/22 @ 11:58 AM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14

I wouldn't say they are upset because he preaches Catch and Release, that wouldn't make much sense as that would in theory leave more for them to catch.  I think it's more about divulging information to guys that are now driving  1.5-3 hours to guide or fish that previously would have slugged it out on their local waters.  I could really care less about his record, I mean I don't agree with breaking the law but I don't know the circumstances.  As far as guides keeping a lot of fish, yes they do.  Many guides travel from lake to lake to get their 5 fish limits for clients as you are only allowed to keep 3 per lake.  But, are they really wrong?  That is probably what the people paying them want and tips probably depend on it.  I have personally watched a guide make 3 different visits to a lake in one day with different clients each time taking at least 6-9 walleyes each time while I was muskie fishing.  One of the times he only had 2 clients.  I know this because I watched them go to the exact same spot, throw out a slip bobber and a leech and take pictures all 3 times.  If that guide does that 2-3 times a week for a season that's around 500 fish kept just for that boat from one lake.  I apologize for the rant, but there used to be a time where people fished their favorite lake and either flourished or struggled but they always held true to the lake.  Now with the electronics and the ease of launching and loading boats people are venturing out more.  In my opinion we don't need the youtube videos giving lakes and how to fish them away.  Let the people find them on their own.  With the amount of money these guys are making on their videos, I don't see it going away anytime soon.

2/3/22 @ 11:20 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Thanks, I had to dig pretty deep but you're right, I found this from five years ago: "Defendant failed to appear. Court finds defendant guilty $383.50 and Guiding license is revoked for a period of 1 year, concurrent with 17FO154." 

I suspect the reason local guides don't like him is because he has evolved from his former guiding days and now promotes a catch and release ethic. He believes in taking a self limiting perspective to promote not just a sustainable fishery, but one that elevates walleye fishing to a higher level. That's the exact opposite of what guides do. They meat-hog up and gift their limit to their clients. Meat means tips. Time for guides to focus on fishing education first, they should embrace Boley's perspective, not hate him for it.

2/3/22 @ 10:50 AM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14
2/3/22 @ 10:41 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Quote: 

"His file says that his guide license was revoked.  I don't know why, it could be for fishing with unattended lines.  Not sure for how long, but I can see where not being able to obtain a guide license would be a headache for a guide"

Can you please provide information (preferably a link) on how or where his "file" can be seen, or anything that shows this as factual.

2/3/22 @ 9:50 AM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14

His file says that his guide license was revoked.  I don't know why, it could be for fishing with unattended lines.  Not sure for how long, but I can see where not being able to obtain a guide license would be a headache for a guide.

2/2/22 @ 3:12 PM
taxi-man
User since 5/10/03

Boley hasn’t guided in a few years. He does videos. Way less headaches! Unless you know what the violation was, shouldn’t talk about it. Someone mentioned LCO and all the people out there. He didn’t fish out there much this past summer, he was on a different lake. If you know the lakes in Hayward, yes, you will know where he is. Unfortunately, the lake he frequented this summer, got to be a zoo.

He does promote catch and release. Do a lot of the guides, not like him? Yes. I’ve heard stories, but I choose to make own opinions.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 41 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE