SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Tips for casting farther? (Saltwater)

10/22/19 @ 6:50 AM
INITIAL POST
ManolGomes
User since 10/22/19

Any tips or tricks you guys could give me to help cast farther would be extremely appreciated. lol. It is so frustrating casting 20 yards, when everyone else around me is able to cast 40yds+ with ease. Sometimes it isn't that big of a deal because the fish are biting closer, other times they are 30yds+ out and I am unable to reach them from shore. I primarily fish around bridges & beaches.UC Browser

Setup:

7' Ugly Stick GX2 Med-Heavy SHAREit

Penn Battle(OG) 4000 Appvn

15lb braid (KastKing)

20/30lb fluoro leader

soft plastics w/ a 1/4oz to 3/8oz jig heads or live/cut bait w/ up to a 1oz sinker

Thanks

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
6/7/21 @ 3:35 AM
Coopergetready
Coopergetready
User since 6/7/21

Hi,

Have you tried other setups to cast farther? A longer stick would be definitely better.
I had a 5 year old Penn Pursuit. And then got a Penn Pursuit 2500 with a 7' ugly stick Gx2 elite.

Jacob Cooper

Wiley Online Library> Journal of Fish Biology to do my biology homework

10/22/19 @ 8:32 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

There are a number of videos you would find informative on the Salt Strong site and here is a link to one. 

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/how-to-cast-a-spinning-reel-farther/ 

To get more distance I increased my rod length to 7' 6" medium Temple Forks and same in an Okuma. I dropped down to 10# Suffix 832 and use the same size fluoro as you joning the lines with the FG knot. A bit fussy to tie but almost no bump going thru the guides.

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/temple-fork-outfitters-gis-series-spinning-rod-review/ 

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/how-to-tie-the-fg-knot/ 

I fished out of Ft Myers in the winter for 5 yrs and until last yr Pine Island sound until red tide kill off. Now learning 10K islands. I target mostly trout but hope for snook and reds along the mangroves. The above setup has landed 3 snook over 34".

Good luck,

Grey Beard

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE