MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Things that people think are true, but maybe aren't....

7/13/20 @ 8:12 PM
ORIGNAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I'll start. When a person catches a 12 inch bass with a gash in it, I often hear, "WHOA! Something really big must have tried to eat that thing..." and they look as if they are holding a fish that just went through something pretty traumatic and that there is a HUGE fish probably in the same waters. 

Ok, maybe it's true. But......it's also possible that it's a sore, or a scratch mark, a scar from a long time ago, or something else....

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 31 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 4:15 PM
Elliott Jacobson
Elliott Jacobson
User since 1/25/17

“Suckers and rough fish and don’t taste good.” I strongly disagree with this. It takes very clean water to support sucker and their diet is much like a trout. https://youtu.be/1hLDM5MX1e0

8/4/20 @ 7:33 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
User since 12/9/08

Here are a couple more....

Many believe the biggest fish hit the hardest.  In my experience, the largest muskies I have caught often are the ones that hit the lightest.  Sometimes your bait just disappears (no weight) as it is overtaken and engulfed from behind.  If you are not on them in an instant, they are off before you even set the hook.

Another...The Musky is the Fish of 10,000 Casts.  I believe most people understand this is not reality but just a figure of speech.  Based on how I fish, I make about 50 casts/hr.  If the above statement were true, that calculates to 200 hours/fish.  If it took 200 hrs on average to catch a musky, I definitely wouldn't waste my time fishing for them.  I am a very focused and data driven fisherman.  I am fortunate that my annual rate is generally 1-2% of the above statement.

7/17/20 @ 1:00 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Here's one. 

"I'm fishing the same lure, and same spot as the other guy, and he's catching three times the fish. Makes no sense."

Well...actually, some guys (and I'm not one of them) just have that touch, that presentation awareness, the depth locked in etc...that makes all the difference in the world sometimes. It's not luck. They just have something that the most of the rest of us don't. 

On the flip side, I don't buy the whole: "This color is the only thing that works" theory.

I know it makes a difference at times. But, finding active fish to me is number 1. I'll worry about color later....

7/16/20 @ 9:34 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I agree Badger - anytime out is a good day. I used to never let the weather dictate when I went fishing, I would just go all the time. Now with the wife, kids, and work I try be more selective based on weather and water clarity/ level of the Mississippi River to go when the conditions are above average. Big cold front in winter just moved through - won't go ice fishing the next day now. Just rained 3 inches and the river is chocolate milk - won't waste my time. 

7/16/20 @ 8:08 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I seem to do great on foggy, calm mornings.  But the best fronts to fish for me are the "not at work" fronts along with the "wife lets me go" fronts.  

7/16/20 @ 7:24 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Depending on the time of year, I have most of my best days when it is flat calm out with no wind. So much so that if it is completely dead calm out I try to get out fishing that day. I found this true on rivers and a lake I fish up north. Other bodies of water, flat calm days really suck. 

7/15/20 @ 10:01 PM
nemab-man
User since 7/5/11

I think Wicasa nailed it. Barometric pressure has a good bit of impact on when fish bite. A dead calm is worse than an east wind, IMO. It's not that i can't catch fish when there is no wind but I just don't seem to do as well when it is calm, even when they are 20' down.

7/15/20 @ 9:34 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

Just has to do with where you are in relation to the center of a front.  

High front = clockwise rotation           Low front = counter clockwise rotation       

An east wind comes from both                 

7/15/20 @ 9:24 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

That saying is 100% true.  South East is totally different than northeast though.  

7/15/20 @ 7:25 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

Like I always say SM, you can’t catch a fish if you’re not on the water.  That one pretty much is true    

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 31 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.