Lake-Link

Thermocline

7/27/16 @ 9:03 AM
ORIGNAL POST
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07
jimbo55will

USER since 1/17/07

Over the years I have heard and read much about thermocline. Why it develops, its impact on fish, why some lakes have it and others don't, how deep it is, etc. Then I read other stories of fishermen down south fishing for crappies down 40 or more feet. It was always my understanding that a thermocline set up around 20-25 feet or so, maybe a little deeper on some lakes, maybe a little shallower on others. Supposedly there is very little fish activity below the thermocline due to oxygen levels but I'm wondering if anyone has other experiences that contradict these "gospel truths" or "old wives tales". On some lakes that go down to 80 feet I cannot pick up a thermocline on my graph, even with the sensitivity turned all the way up. Does anyone care to comment on this?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/28/16 @ 9:33 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

There are more comments on the "Wisconsin fishing discussion" at the top of the Forum's page.

7/27/16 @ 10:40 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01

Some fish live below the thermocline like lake trout and ciscos.  How can they do this?  I believe its because the lake is infertile or very cold.  When the lake is infertile or very cold, the bacteria activity is lower and therefore uses up less oxygen down there and there is oxygen for those fish,  But most lakes have a thermocline unless there is a good current running through it or real shallow.      

7/27/16 @ 10:44 AM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

Most anglers don't really have to worry about it as they never fish below the Thermocline. It is true that fish do not like to be below the thermocline but will go there for short lengths of time. Fish are like me why do something that is uncomfortable. The lake that I live on guide on gets a one and it is usually around 25 to 30 feet. Lots of things can affect it wind ,cloud cover. boat traffic and of course generation on power lakes.  You can usually see the thermocline on a locator by noticing the absence of fish and bait fish.  Funny this topic came up as I was just talking to a former client about it this morning.  I am no expert but this is my two cents.  This topic will be interesting as we all can learn something...

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.