MORE
General Fishing Discussion

The Crayfish Thread - The Undeadliest Catch

4/27/12 @ 12:05 PM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
A local grocery store was selling frozen packages of peeled crayfish tails last week so I picked up a couple of pounds and added them to my favorite cajun recipe given to me by my southern friend. It's called sauce picante (Troy made it with alligator on Swamp People in season 1). It was delicious and I want more! As part of the adventure of being up north this summer at the cabin, I got three crayfish traps. I have been researching good locations and bait to use which are rocky shorelines and rock piles and fresh dead fish such as perch or walleye heads and entrails. They apparently are more active at night so we're going to "set pots" after supper, check them once before we go to bed and again in the morning. It should be fun, especially for my 12 year old son. I'm headed up to get things ready for the opener tonight and plan to do a trial run. It might be a little slow yet with the water temps but I'll post the outcome next week. In the meantime, please share any experiences or tips you have on this subject, The Undeadliest Catch.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 41 posts
9/30/19 @ 7:48 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Jolly,

A regular minnow trap with a fish carcass inside works about as good as anything...

When you get done cleaning your fish, toss a few in the minnow trap - it will be full of crayfish by morning!  

9/24/19 @ 3:31 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Eating Rusties is no different than any other type.

9/24/19 @ 2:33 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Are rusty crayfish good to eat?

9/23/19 @ 8:33 PM
jollydon
User since 9/14/06

Anyone know how to make a trap for crayfish?  How many can youngest use at one time?  What seems to be the  best bait?

9/16/19 @ 12:53 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Last year we had some but this year none.  However, we went to a different spot this year but on the same river.

9/15/19 @ 9:01 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

“All rusty crayfish too”.     Does that mean that the native crayfish are gone?  CARPIO 

9/12/19 @ 12:36 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

I've been trapping them all summer in Taylor county.  On a good night, 100-125 total between 3 traps.  On a really good night, 250+.  All rusty crayfish too so I'm helping the eco-system by putting a dent in the population.

8/30/19 @ 11:48 PM
mystery fish-n-sea
mystery fish-n-sea
User since 4/10/10

Did a little crayfishing recently on the Oconto River

1/23/15 @ 1:37 AM
Tyler_91
User since 1/1/06
funny there are new post here as i thought id be reading archives lol. Im looking to give it a go this year. Any insight on spots around milwaukee area would be appreciated.
1/19/15 @ 9:46 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
I have a trap now and plan on getting started as soon as spring comes around. I loved eating these buggers years ago! Time to scope some areas out!
1/14/15 @ 9:37 AM
TheKitz
User since 1/14/15
Went out fishing on a sand/gravel hump on my lake a week or so ago historically covered with cabbage weeds. Didn't mark a single weed on the vex. Dropped down the camera and was shocked to see not a single weed. A few rotting stubs on the bottom. Looked like someone ran a lawnmower over the bed. Found the same thing on a large cabbage bed that was a go to spot. I am going on a mission this year to put a hurt on these things. Have 15 traps ready to go and enough material to make about 5 more pillow traps. Spoke to a wildlife rehab center and they said they will take any and all to feed the animals. (What I don't eat personally). I am looking forward to the eradication attempt. Will keep you guys posted on how it pans out. Evil Grin
5/18/14 @ 6:51 PM
crankbait
crankbait
User since 6/20/01
I did put out 3 traps last weekend, and forgot my usual bait of immitation crab sticks so used a hot dog and stale roll. Wound up with 1. Let her go. I don't think it's too early, just wrong bait.
5/17/14 @ 6:43 PM
outdoorbradley
User since 5/19/13
just curious.... it might be little early but did anyone attempt to trap crayfish this year lately? cannot wait for other tasty boil...
6/25/13 @ 11:42 AM
CazTrait
CazTrait
User since 6/15/01
Jzzzzzz, call The Jambalaya House in Green Bay. The owner is from LA, has fresh shrimp and other ingredients flown in daily from the south. If he can't hook you up personally he probably has some good contacts. I think he even caters if you wanted to go that route.
6/25/13 @ 7:28 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
thanks for the info
Displaying 1 to 15 of 41 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE