SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Slide Diver Lite Bite Questions and Charts

6/19/19 @ 11:14 AM
INITIAL POST
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

I added 2 Slide Diver Lite bites to my Salmon arsenal last year and had a lot of action with some fish boated.  I'm still struggling with knowing the depth they're running as well as getting fish to stay hooked.  I'm using 30 lb PP and 50' of 30 lb Fluorocarbon to slide on, with another 5' after the bead and snap swivel for my gear.

Questions: 

-    Will setting the diver tighter (harder to trip) help the hook-up ratio?  I was using brand new hooks and had my drags set just tight enough to let the lines go out on huge surges or on a strike.

-    How much affect does having the "extra" fluoro in front of the slide diver have on the depth?  ex:  I snap diver 10' up the line and then have the additional 40' dragging vertical against the current towards my rod.  Am I better just running this on the PP? 

-    Looking at setting up another 2 rigs this year with wire line.  Also considering adding the Ultimate kit.  Should I add Ultimates to all 4 rigs?  By doing this I have read that the ratio "should be" 2' out = 1' down.  Is this true for 30 lb braid as well as 30 lb wire?  To add more to this equation, by getting so "aggressive" with this presentation, wouldn't this act a lot more like a rigger then?  If so, is this a good thing?  Last year my copper lines were on F I R E every trip (and my lead cores did OK too) and I have to believe that it was because of the waving/whipping action of the line from the drag and currents of the water.

-    Are there charts available for 30 lb braid and 30 lb wire on a standard lite bite diver and then charts for the same set ups with the Ultimate kits too.  I have found the attached chart (see picture), but not sure if that is the Lite Bite, what line, etc.  I have also found other charts that have the 4 oz kits, different rings and so on...not sure why this isn't just part of the packaging when buying each part...anywho.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I have literally spent hours/day reading and watching videos trying to find these answers and there is so much contradicting and OLD information out there.  I'm hoping to get some current thoughts/advice from this group that has already helped me learn so much.  Thanks in advance!

Slide Diver Lite Bite Questions and Charts photo by fishrepellant
Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
8/19/19 @ 5:41 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

Wire rules ......

8/19/19 @ 11:55 AM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Only made it out once so far to try out the "improvements".  Can't say for sure, but thinking you guys are AMAZING!  Got rid of the crimps and tied the wire with Albright knots, increased the Power Pro size so the Slide Diver's would hold and utilized the slow-creep method to let line out and not only came home with all of my gear for once, but everything worked as expected!!!   :)   ***Bonus was that we had the most hits on the two wire-slide diver set ups and even boated 2 of the 9.  Now to figure out how to improve that closing ratio...hmmmmmm.

Thanks again Lake-Linkers; I really appreciate the truly helpful info.!  

7/25/19 @ 8:59 AM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

OK... I’m on it like a pack of dogs on a one legged cat! 

Unfortunately I will have to wait to see the results;  can’t get out for at least a week yet. 

7/25/19 @ 8:29 AM
mskyadk
PRO MEMBER User since 11/11/01

To avoid the use of wire and expense of new set ups.  I took the top of slider diver and mounted them to the bottom half of Mag dipsy.

Just for a thought. 

7/24/19 @ 10:32 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

LOL, yes ditch the crimps.  Albright knot.

7/24/19 @ 1:37 PM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

I've been looping the wire through a small swivel and then using 2 crimps with heat shrink over them as well.  When I pull in the line, the wire is broke/frayed and that's it.  I have been tying 25I appreciate the thoughts and efforts. ft of 40lb PP for the slide diver, but have yet to issues with the PP.  I have 2 of these set ups and one always breaks per trip...  Before you ask...NOPE, haven't paid attention if it's the same one.  Hmmmm.  Regardless, both combos are set up with the same poles, reels, gear, etc., so it's very confusing, frustrating and now getting quite expensive.

I do like how much deeper the divers get with the wire and from the limited use to hits ratio, can see why people use these.  I don't really want to give up just yet, but am close.  I also appreciate the thoughts and efforts...any other suggestions?

7/23/19 @ 4:09 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15
what knot are you using for attaching the wire to your leader (presumably mono or braid) that the slide diver will run on?  I use albright knot and no issues.  Presumably this knot is just before the slide diver.  I use 7 strand 30lb stainless wire.  I love it, particularly now with the fleas.
7/23/19 @ 1:09 PM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Update:  so I have been out a few times now and using the advice/techniques/new gear and found out a few things...

WIRE IS A PIA AND EXPENSIVE!  I have had a few bites with no fish landed, but mostly keep losing my gear.  I've heard that wire is very sensitive, but come on.  I barely pulled to trip the diver last time and it snapped like I was using thread for sewing.  Gone to yet another slide diver, with the Ultimate kit and all the gear behind it!!!  I have been super careful deploying, etc., so I think it's time to face the fact that I'm not a sensitive guy???  :)  IDK.  My "high" slide divers on braid however have been AWESOME!!!  Catching some fish and having many hits.  Letting them 'creep' out seems to be working.  Question:  am I really "missing" a lot by giving up on the wire?  Are there "better" wires out there that are more forgiving/stronger?

My copper and lead cores have been seeing good results too.  I will say deploying takes substantially longer than using snap weights and I'm getting a few more tangles from the long-lines, but fish seem to like it so I will continue to work with those.  Any suggestions for keeping the copper from kinking so much?  I would have to think that will have a huge impact on the drag in the water, etc.  Strength seems to be holding up OK though...

Thanks again for the help so far.  Mostly been fun (and successful) trying new things.

6/25/19 @ 2:38 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Check out all the depth charts on Eric's website - lots of different ones there.

Depth Charts

I agree, if you're using braid and floro a "snubber" is needed, very little stretch there. I only use them as high divers because they don't track well down deep on turns without the back fin. 

6/24/19 @ 10:25 PM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Thanks BigMusky12.  I think those diver set ups should work well.

migr8r - great suggestions too!  Yeah I may be getting a little too technical.  Still getting used to trolling the big lake and that being within feet is OK (unlike inches on most of the inland waters)

I've spent the last few days unspooling and spooling thousands of feet of lines (mono, copper, lead, braid...) setting up my gear; hopefully all of this additional knowledge and effort pays off this weekend!

6/24/19 @ 9:14 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Not that this really answers your question but I go by the guide on the package for depth for a general idea of how deep they’re running. When running divers and I don’t have any inkling where to start depth-wise, I’ll start one at  somewhere between 30-50’ and one at 70’, then let them slowly creep line out. I’ll note where I get hit as it creeps and lock one in at that depth, then start the other with 20’ less line out and let that one creep. If I get consistent bites with X amount of line out, I’ll leave one there and play close to that range with the other to try to dial it in more. I really couldn’t tell you exactly what depth they are at with how much ever line is out. All I’ll know is I or someone else I know had success with X amount of line out and I’ll work around that amount OR I won’t have any idea where fish are biting at and I’ll let them both creep until I figure it out.

I think you’re looking for a precise depth your divers will run at with X amount of line, unless you know exactly your set ups, speed and current speed, you won’t get a precise answer. If you want to try to figure it out, about all you can do is set up in deeper water and head to shallow water, note how much line you have out when it starts bouncing on the bottom. That still doesn’t give you anything but a general idea because boat speed and current speed is still variable. Then you have the whole 0-3 setting thing as another variable. 

6/24/19 @ 10:45 AM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Thanks for the feedback!  Regarding the snubbers:  you mentioned adding clear on braid, I'm assuming even more important to add on the wire setups...?

I like the "high" and "low" diver approach! The 2:1 is easy to figure out, but how much will changing the settings affect the depth then? Ex: Going from 0 behind the boat to a 3 to get it out to the side more?  Any charts for standard Lite Bite on braid that I could reference?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE