MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Skinzit?

12/14/14 @ 8:47 PM
INITIAL POST
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Anyone ever use one? Seems like one of those to good to be true things!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
3/18/16 @ 12:37 AM
fishingmaster1997
User since 4/18/12
Keep in mind if it's in the bargain cave at cabelas there's a good chance it was used by someone who didn't care for it and returned in a state they can't sell as new
2/8/16 @ 11:09 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I have seen them in use, but me being a tightwad, I have hard time paying $150 for one of them. If you can find them in the bargain cave for 1/2 price, I might spend that amount of money. They do however look interesting.
2/7/16 @ 6:03 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11
On bluegills/crappies/perch I leave the skin on, better tasting. Only other fish I keep are generally walleyes and catfish which are both easy to fillet. With this you have to first fillet them with your knife, then plug in this Skinzit and do the ribs/skin. Then you have two knives/contraptions to wash instead of one and takes more time. Just my thoughts.
2/4/16 @ 4:43 PM
candofish
User since 4/2/13
I have used mine for over a year. It works very well on perch and walleye. Both of these have tougher scales and the skin comes off just like the video. The rib bones come out of all the species of fish I have cleaned. which include giils. crappies, perch, walleye, northerns, and an occasional bass in the winter. It leaves more belly meat on the fillet than when using a traditional fillet knife and is much quicker. Crappies are the worst for the scales gumming up the metal wheel. When the metal wheel gets full of scales I use a q tip to clean it out. It took a little time to get used to it, but I use it every time I clean fish.
2/4/16 @ 12:45 PM
LotusNMo
User since 9/21/08
Excellent review. I debated getting one before. Ice season since cleaning 25 panfish at 10pm on sun night isn't that fun. Glad I passed on it tho. To many mixed reviews on other sites as we'll.
2/4/16 @ 12:29 PM
Bork
User since 8/1/01
I got the Skinz-it as a Christmas present and was finally able to try it out. I will say this. It definitely does not work like they show it on TV. There are a few issues with it.Do not try using it on any Panfish under 10inches. If you have smaller fish you are better off just cleaning by hand. If you try running the smaller fish through it you will wind up ruining a few fillets. I tried running a few smaller fish through, and it caused nothing but heartache and frustration. Also, you need to keep the metal wheel completely clean. If you start getting fish junk built up in the grooves, its effectiveness goes away as well. After 8-10 fish it gets scales, and other fish by-products built up on it and you have to clean it off. IF you have one and are having problems with it, you must go slow when you are doing the skin removal step. You must watch underneath and let go of the trigger just right other wise it will suck your skinned fillet back through the wheel, and since it does not have a reverse function, you are pretty much screwed if this happens and the fillet is lost. Right now, School is still out on weather we return it or not. As of now, I am not impressed with it. To be honest the other night I was wanting to kick Ted Takasaki in the sack because I was so pissed at the thing. LOL
12/22/14 @ 10:11 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
nice idea for the price its never gonna be used by me
12/15/14 @ 8:25 PM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Ya I saw it on Midwest outdoors too, looked very interesting!
12/15/14 @ 7:36 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
They showcased this product on Midwest Outdoors this past weekend. Looks slick but I agree, at $150, you better be cleaning a lot of fish. I do a pretty good job at not wasting meat so I have better things to spend my money on. But, it looks like a quality product that would benefit a guide, lodge, or someone who processes a lot of fillets.
12/15/14 @ 6:25 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03
Nothing new, a manual version has been around forever. Google up Townsend fish skinner, a heck alot cheaper. I've seen them priced between 34 and 59 dollars.
12/15/14 @ 5:31 PM
klobros
klobros
User since 12/12/13
My brother just gave me one since I clean all the fish we catch he thought I needed one, but haven't used yet. I never seen one before so I went on there web site to see how this thing works. If it works like they show it might be worth it, but for 150 bucks you got to clean a lot of fish. The web site is www.fishskinner.com if you guys want to see it.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE