LOGIN
Lake-Link

Set lines/Trotlines

4/15/15 @ 4:14 PM
ORIGNAL POST
NRAguy
NRAguy
User since 6/17/01
Bought my set line license/tag for the first time. Lot's of regulations on equipment and where you can use them. Always wanted to give it a shot. I plan on trying it out starting in mid-May on the Fox near Omro/Eureka and the Fox between Puckaway and Princeton targeting channel cats. Any catfish setline stories or advice appreciated.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/26/15 @ 2:51 PM
NRAguy
NRAguy
User since 6/17/01
Follow up: Turned out to be a blast. Ran lines on the 'bago system mostly near Winneconne. I agree with woodturner--the anticipation when you go to pull the line is fun as heck. Denesox says it's more fun "cattin'" with rod and reel than trotlining...Now that I've done both--equally as fun IMO. Never caught a turtle! Did well on channels. Only incidental-besides some sheep- was a huge sturgeon (over 5ft) which pulled the boat for a while. Got it boatside and released it unharmed. Learned a lot. Had to adjust equipment. Great practice-- Plan on doing it again on the St. Croix River where a guy can use 400 hooks (8 lines w/ 50 hooks). Maybe have a small business selling my smoked catfish fillets or fresh catfish fillets to local restaurants (which is legal w/the license) Smile Picture is my home-made marker buoy (made with those swimming noodle tubes). Worked well. Give it a try!

4/28/15 @ 6:07 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Its WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more fun to catch them on a line, especially the bigger ones. Wink

4/28/15 @ 6:06 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
I agree woodturner. I'm not a fan of them because of the high numbers of turtles you end up with.

I always thought trotlines were not legal here in WI....I don't/won't do it so I never really dug into it....I learned it down south, where they seem to care a lot less about the incidentals killed by the technique. Tried jugging down south as well...same result...lots of turtles, it just switched from snappers to painters.

4/26/15 @ 9:01 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I have thought about doing it, for flatheads only though. The biggest obstacle is bait. Catching bait from the river I like to fish is tough. They eat a lot of sheepshead, but the ones I catch are just too big most of the time. I am not spending 4-5 bucks a crack on big suckers. I watch youtube videos of guys pulling up giants, which they almost always release. I like to keep the flatties between 5-10 lbs, releasing the big females.

4/25/15 @ 11:58 AM
woodturner
User since 2/12/04
Tried doing that on the Mississippi some years back, always caught more leatherback and snapping turtles than cat's. It was fun and lots of anticipation when we went and pulled lines!

4/25/15 @ 7:41 AM
cootpatrol
User since 2/10/08
I really like light wire circle hooks, I think eagle claw L198 or 197 is the model I like. Memphis net and twine has good quality twine and they have swivels and hooks at a good price if you make your own trotlines.

4/15/15 @ 10:00 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
User since 9/16/01
I used to watch a guy set jugs on the Fox in Illinois and catch some big cats. He always stunk, from the bait I think. There's also a TV show on cable where the guys in the bayou use trot lines. Good Luck.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.