SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Reelfoot Lake, Tennessee

9/9/21 @ 2:37 PM
INITIAL POST
xlesox
User since 3/13/09

I live in north-central Wisconsin and have fished much of northern Wisconsin and the Arrowhead of Minnesota.  I have long considered adding a trip to Reelfoot Lake, quite likely in spring to early summer.  Does anybody have any experience or advice on visiting and fishing Reelfoot?  I am most interested in the bluegills and crappies.  I appreciate any insight into the fishing, places to stay, etc.  Thank you in advance!

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
9/21/21 @ 7:20 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

Xl, I havent fished any of the smaller lakes.  I get wanting to avoid the hustle and bustle of KY and Barkley, those lakes can get crazy but during the week things slow down.   And at that time of year you could pretty much focus on fishing in a major tributary creek/bay and never get out on the main lake.    If you search KY Afield its local outdoor show produced by KY Fish and Wildlife, I think they did an episode on crappie fishing at Reelfoot, might get some pointers.   Regardless of what lake your on, if its a crappie lake in the south your going to see a ton of guys with 8-10 rods out spider rigging for crappies.   

9/20/21 @ 6:32 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

My buddy went there years ago. He said the fishing for panfish and bass was really good.  He won’t go back.  Said he saw numerous cottonmouth snakes near the landing.  He was advised to be careful not to go under overhanging trees or leave anything dangling in the water. Was told the cottonmouths can climb into the boat.  If it were not for the cottonmouth snakes, he would have gone back.

9/10/21 @ 11:41 AM
xlesox
User since 3/13/09

Graceonpoint,

Did you fish any of the smaller lakes, or just Kentucky and/or Barkley?  I am much more comfortable and interested in fishing the smaller lakes.  They generally take less time to figure out, and for me, I just prefer the peaceful environment on the smaller lakes.

9/10/21 @ 10:19 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

I have not fished Reelfoot Lake, but have fished the LBL lakes in Western KY.  Reelfoot should warm up quicker I think it would be hard to go wrong the last week of March through mid-April, for crappie, and bluegill bite should get hot a 2-3 weeks later.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE