LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Photo sharing etiquette as the viewer of the photo.

6/4/20 @ 7:10 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

We had this discussion a year or two ago. Want to see where everyone stands now. When you see a photo of a nice fish that someone shows you or sends you-Do you ask them where they caught it? On one hand, I guess if someone shares a photo, that’s a fair question since they share the photo. On the other hand, if the person wanted to share where they caught it, maybe they would tell you in the first place. What’s your take?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
6/6/20 @ 12:28 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I figure if a guy/gal shows a picture of a fish they are doing so cause they are excited and want to talk about it. I usually answer with a “oh that’s a nice one, where did you get it”?  If they answer with “It’s a secret, up north, in Minnesota, Lake Winnebago or exact gps coordinates” it doesn’t matter much to me. I’m not gonna run out and fish a certain lake cause someone caught a nice fish, there are nice fish all over the state. If they want to be vague or very detailed that’s their business. 

6/5/20 @ 5:58 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08

I see no reason why it would be inappropriate to ask. The worst thing they can say is "not telling." I personally don't post many photos these days because I feel bad saying No. Personally all I ask in regards to location is inland vs great lakes or Mississippi vs any other river lol!

6/5/20 @ 2:25 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Personally I don't ask where the fish was caught, I know how much time/effort goes into finding quality fish so I don't feel like that info is something that needs sharing unless they offer the info. With that being said, I get asked for the location of fish I catch fairly often. I usually give a general area or county instead of a specific lake as the lakes I fish tend to be small and not popular. Side note - I stopped posting pictures for the most part on LL and stick to instagram for that. People are vultures for info on this site and most are just looking for info and not interested in sharing (key word - most, met some great people on LL as well). Instagram people are far more willing to share locations and information. 

6/5/20 @ 11:54 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

That's a good point. A lake vs. a spot are two different things. 

I tend to not ask where the photo is taken. However, sometimes I might take a peek up at the top of the screen and a lake name might appear. LOL. 

I also don't think it's rude if someone refuses to name a spot. 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE