LOGIN
Lake-Link

Perch situation on Lake Michigan

8/26/12 @ 3:02 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
I will actually start this thread because it takes one guy to whine about it on the reports...

Well? Where are they, whats the problem, whats being done to help??? Its been 0ver 10 years that Ive seen any decent action on perch. Last year at the boils I had some luck. Ive basically heard nothing this year from anyone anywhere. Milwaukee down to Racine at least. What do you guys think.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,773 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/5/19 @ 12:42 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
7/10/19 @ 6:08 PM
jcc
User since 4/6/14

Got 5 limit at McKinley marina.Fished from 9:30am to 11,wife was at long dentist appointment.There's perch around just have to hunt them.There really scattered right now.I really feel bad for shore trout and salmon guy's zero fish around.

7/10/19 @ 6:25 AM
Bigsv
User since 2/18/08

Grew up 3 blocks from the lake right by the filtration plant “metro”

We spent our summers fishing for salmon, trout, and yes perch. We lived down there the entire summer. Everything has changed and in my opinion for the worse. Everyone wants to blame someone or something for the decline but it is mighty hard to find an answer that will stick for Lake Michigan. I have fiends who still catch plenty of perch but I have given up. 

I will blame the decline on the wolves but it’s more than likely related to something else. 

6/30/19 @ 7:05 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
User since 3/26/15

If I remember correctly what I read it was something along the lines of the zebra mussels improving the clarity of the Mississippi which somehow makes for better perch habitat.  All I know is that in the last 10 years the perch have just exploded on the river. 

6/30/19 @ 6:46 PM
jcc
User since 4/6/14

I've personally seen perch eating zebra mussels in Lake Michigan.Was about a decade ago on a breakwall.Perch live in Europe and Asia along with zebra and quagga mussels.

6/30/19 @ 3:42 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
User since 3/26/15

Then people say that zebra mussels being in the Mississippi is what caused the perch to boom here. So which is it?

6/27/19 @ 11:29 AM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Billions of emerald shiners were available in the harbors in the 60s.  There had to be plenty of food for them until the alewife infestation in the mid 60s.  After that a slow and steady decline.    CARPIO 

6/27/19 @ 8:19 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

Zebra mussels combined with people taking ridiculous amounts of fish is probably what did it. When you have people harvesting insane amounts of fish and the fish cannot survive as fry due to the lack of phytoplankton, it will crash the population

6/27/19 @ 5:43 AM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

No limit on perch in 50s , 60s.    CARPIO 

6/16/19 @ 7:43 AM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

Zebra Mussels had an impact on the perch also by filtering out the plankton the perch fry needed.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,773 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.