Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Old line still good?

9/14/20 @ 11:39 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Wdroste
User since 7/8/09

Hi, my dad passed on a while back, and has alot of fishing line that was hardly used, still on the spools.  They have been stored in a dark, heated basement.  Would the Trilene XL, XT and Stren Extra Strength still be usable or would 15 years make them junk? Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/15/20 @ 5:23 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

Good question. I too, got some old reels with line on them and just started using it ,and then I found out. The 8# line was strong enough still, but it seemed to get kinks and snarls way too easy for my tastes. Spinning it out behind my boat and slowly reeling it back in to get the twist out works for me most of the time, but it didn't seem to help in this case. Fishlovme mentioned having a 3000ft. spool of line. I scored close to 3000feet of some 8 pound test at Scheel's from the bargain bin and started using that up and was very pleased with it. Having some quality new line on my reels was great! If the old stuff doesn't work, just change it.

9/15/20 @ 11:44 AM
ice-it
MEMBER since 12/27/04

The mono on my old swish fishing rods is over 25 years old and it has not broken yet. Use it on Mendota every year.

9/14/20 @ 11:15 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I have some old monofilament line I got on large spools from Gander Mountain when they discontinued their line about 15 years ago.  I mainly use it as a filler on the spool, but the 6 pound line I use on a lot of my panfish rods all summer.  I can change it as often as I want or as little as I want, which is great.  That 3,000 yard spool will last me probably the rest of my life.  Smaller spools, as Phat suggested, might have more memory issues than the large spools.

9/14/20 @ 5:34 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

I sure wouldn't take a chance on 15 year old mono line. 

Take some out and give it a tug, see if its brittle

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.