SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Old fishing shows

2/8/18 @ 12:50 PM
INITIAL POST
bass2403
User since 10/15/03

What old fishing shows did everyone watch ,like or dislike.

I  remember watching Billy Westmoreland's fishing diary, Tony Dean and bunch of other shows.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 53 posts
4/8/20 @ 11:45 PM
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
User since 4/23/15

Yep, think the Lucky 13 Fishing Show had place winner's down to 3rd place in each fish category. Also they'd show picture's of the Angler's catch available and where the fish was caught. Think Jim Crandal if I remember right was the Weatherman on WEAU 13 New's who hosted the show.

4/8/20 @ 2:13 PM
beelzebob
User since 9/24/01

I remember Lucky 13, I lived in Altoona for 1 year in '75, I recall it being on Sunday night after the news (long time ago, I could be wrong).  They would have a segment with photos of locals, can't remember if they won anything.  I still recall a Virgil Ward episode where he was floating the White River in Arkansas, slaying browns - something that is still on my bucket list.

One fella on here mentioned Bill Dance and his staged falls in the water. I recall 1x when he walked around the back of the truck and shinned the ball hitch. Having had this pleasure myself, I did appreciate that at least somebody else had to learn this lesson (you'll never do it again).

4/8/20 @ 12:25 PM
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
User since 4/23/15

beezlebob, I was wondering when someone was going to mention Virgil Ward and his show(don't forget his son Jim!). In Eau Claire back in the day, WEAU 13 use to have the Lucky 13 Fishing Show(Contest) on Sunday night's. Jim Crandal was the host and would announce weekly fish category winner's. When the show was no longer broadcast some year's later Dave Carlson hosted a new show on WEAU 13, which his show later went to our Channel 18(ABC). 

John Gillespie, while his show continue's to be broadcast on FSN and YouTube I still find him annoying to listen too, lol.

4/8/20 @ 8:18 AM
beelzebob
User since 9/24/01

"From the lakes of northern Canada, to the Gulf of Mexico,

wherever fish are bitin', that's where he's gonna go....."

Virgil, American sportsman, Fishing w/ Earl.  Then in the late 80s I liked J. Gillespie because the guy was fishing spots I knew.  I used to live on the Milwaukee River between the North Ave bridge and the dam, one morning I looked out and there's a couple of guys fishing out of a little boat below the dam - it was Gillespie after salmon, the show was on like a week or 2 later.  I ended up as a weekly winner on his show a couple times with fish I caught down there - the prize was a very ugly t-shirt and a case of Pabst.  Kind of like when you picked door number 2 and got a wheelbarrow with a box of Rice a Roni in it.

4/7/20 @ 12:44 PM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

Rod And Reel Streamside with Don Meissner on PBS.  I loved that show, I wish it was still on.  That guy could catch anything on a hair jig.  I also enjoyed Bill Saiff II's show as well on PBS.  Then there was also Bob Mehsikomer catching smallies and ski's.  The gold old days for sure.

4/7/20 @ 12:25 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Bob Thomas.  He used to plug God”s Lake Resort.  In the 60s? CARPIO 

3/24/20 @ 4:29 PM
walleyeralph
User since 6/20/01

Gadabout Gaddis.Dam iam old.

3/23/20 @ 9:48 PM
HodakaD
User since 4/28/08

Monkeymaster..I remember Rick Geisler. His was one of the first shows I remember. I grew up in Iowa and as a kid met him once at a sports show. Somewhere at my folks house I have an autographed picture of him. He had a heart attack when he was 41 after loading his boat on his vehicle in 1987 from what found.

3/15/20 @ 10:11 PM
FIN4LIVIN
User since 6/4/19

Yep Big Shane!

You must be around my age. Back in the late ‘80s earl ‘90s Saturdays were the best! Early morning if you were lucky enough to have cable and a 26” Quazar tv in your room... you’d start with ESPN and all of the fishing shows that the great Jerry Mckinnis would introduce and which one of them was his own. Then midday ish you’d change the channel to TNN and watch mostly hunting shows(Buckmasters with Jackie Bushman was the best) with Bill Dance’s show mixed in there. About 4:00 you’d tune into your local ABC channel to watch In-Fisherman and Babe Winkleman whose autograph I got when I was 13 years old at Perkins restaurant in Madison while he was eating breakfast with his wife Chris. Maaaaan I was so stoked for that! ?? Then at 5:00 it was on to TBS for Olando Wilson, Jimmy Houston, Roland Martin and a very young Hank Parker. Because of most of those guys my childhood dream was to have a Bass Tracker boat. ?? Ended up with a Smokercraft.. Of course after those shows were done it was some of greatest wrestling ever! I can still hear the theme songs for those shows.. Some of the best memories I guy can have! Sure do miss what someone my age can call the good ol’ days??

3/15/20 @ 6:15 PM
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
User since 4/23/15

InFisherman back in the day when it was a hour long show, Cable TV might of not even been yet.

3/15/20 @ 3:51 PM
coach4life
PRO MEMBER User since 7/8/11

The original.... Stan Bran "outdoors calling." Longest continuous running show in U.S.  Sponsored by Rav-O-Vac and good old Huber Beer!! Had a "mystery photo" contest every week with nice lanterns from Ray - O- Vac as prizes. Used to have a guy on with poisonous snakes all the time. Honestly think someone might have been bitten on air! Wild! and I'm too old.

3/15/20 @ 10:20 AM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

Anyone else remember Tony Dean, his show was in he 90's very down to earth fisherman. His main sponsor was Stren line.

3/15/20 @ 8:42 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

The original "Earl Goes Fishing" specials with Earl Gillespie.

Bill Dance back in the early '80's, not the farm pond stuff of today.  When my brother was getting his Masters in Fish Biology at TN, one of his Professors took him fishing for a day with Bill Dance.  He said Bill was a first class guy, fun to spend time with in the boat.  Couldn't say enough good things about him.

Orlando Wilson was good to watch in my college years.

3/14/20 @ 6:09 AM
4GILL
4GILL
User since 3/1/15

In the early 1990's I had an opportunity to go see Babe Winkleman at a seminar that he was giving at a sports show in Chicago.  -Still have the little flashlight that he was giving away (he was sponsored in part by by Rayovac).  

He opened the seminar by posing the question- "Who is the most successful fisherman in the world?"  After a couple of well known names were thrown out by the audience he responded by saying- "The most successful fisherman...is whomever enjoys it the most."   

This simple observation was actually quite deep and insightful and a concept that is lost on most people.  Of all the things I have taken in at sports shows through the years, Winkleman's statement has stuck with me the longest. 

Good luck fishing, 

Gill 

3/13/20 @ 2:50 PM
Eye'Sassin
User since 1/27/10

Long overdue clarification but Lucky 13 was out of Eau Claire.  Find myself whistling the theme song today on Friday the 13th!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 53 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE