Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Night fishing on the Boat

8/16/19 @ 7:51 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Thevdim
User since 6/9/15
New to boating! For those that fish during the night time off the boat, I am wondering what are the rules/regulation of boating and night fishing in the Winnebago lake. I'm looking at possibly starting around midnight to 4/5am. Any successful tips? Baits? Lures? Stationary or trolling? Probably targeting species- bass, walleyes, panfish.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 12:59 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

have multiple task light sources...head lamp, phone flashlight, other plug in light sources, etc.     If you go dark out there, it is really annoying and the navigation light will probably not be sufficient....however the LED ones are much brighter now.

9/18/19 @ 5:12 AM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

Great tips by chaw. Use a GPS to get to your destination and follow your GPS plotted trail back to launch.  On Winnebago you should be able to see shoreline lights but you don’t want to run into a shallow reef or island.

I would use braid for live bait fishing as it is difficult to sense bites in the dark.  You can’t see your rod tip so you have to depend upon your sense of feel. 

Slip bobbering, casting, or trolling would be my method of night fishing for walleye.  If you are casting plastics or cranks use a straight steady retrieve rather than an erratic retrieve to get more hookups.  Also use braid and a length of fluoro tied with a uni knot.  You will feel the knot go through the eyes of the rod and you can slow your retrieve and are less likely to reel the lure into the eye of the rod.

9/17/19 @ 8:06 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

We don't fish Winnebago but we use blacklights when we troll at night.

9/17/19 @ 6:13 PM
chaw
User since 9/11/02

During the day I don’t mind a little clutter on the deck. At night it’s a great idea to keep the deck as clean as possible. Know exactly where safety gear is located and know where your release tools are. It’s a real pain to try to find pliers in the dark.

Make sure you know exactly how to get back to the launch safely. Exploring new water at night is iffy. Find those spots during the day and visit productive areas at night. 

Good luck out there!

8/26/19 @ 7:00 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Pay attention to the moon phase. At times, this will give you natural lighting. When it’s pitch dark, make sure you have navigation assistance such as Navionics or the others. This will keep you off the shore line and shallow spots. Most important, be familiar with the lake you are night fishing. Your “Bearings” can get rattled out there in the dark if you’re not prepared. Good luck my friend

8/24/19 @ 7:33 AM
emceemc
User since 9/18/01

Definitely yellow lighting. I had a battery powered white light lantern out there once. It seemed like a great idea, but it, and the boat, and me, were all covered with bugs in just a few minutes. 

You only need light for a few things anyway, and the headlamp serves the purpose perfectly.

8/19/19 @ 7:38 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Use yellow lighting inside boat as they do not attract bugs.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.