LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

My Tackle Box is Getting Lighter and that's a good thing!

6/23/20 @ 12:31 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Sold a bunch of lures on a local garage sale site. Now, when in the canoe or even in a  motor boat,  I often carry just a shopping bag that consists of pliers, tape measure, jaw spreaders, a few lures and plastics, extra hooks, a band aid, a few split shots and bug spray. I found that 95 percent of the time I was just using four or five lures, so why bring a whole tackle box to fish? 

Anyone else traveling light these days? Let's hear what are your "must have basics" and what you leave behind.  Never thought I'd say it, but less tackle sure makes fishing more enjoyable in most cases for me. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
7/11/20 @ 10:37 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Canoe fishing in Quetico, I tied my rod in the canoe for portages and had a tackle box that slipped into the pocket in my fishing life jacket. We all tried to pack light so we could make hauling the canoe and packs in one trip. I had so much tackle jammed in that box my friends were afraid if the canoe tipped I'd be dragged to the bottom by the weight of it with my PFD still on. Reminds me of the "tons of stuff" a previous poster mentioned.

6/28/20 @ 11:35 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

There are local yardsale type online sites where posting a group of lures and setting a price can be a very effective way of selling some of your overflow. Especially if it's a various type starter set. People don't have to travel far to get a bargain and usually like this type of option to purchase a little of this and a little of that in a lot.

6/27/20 @ 10:56 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Since I fish from a kayak now 80% of the time, I've whittled it down to 2 or 3 rods a trip and a small backpack full of everything I need. I calculated that there's over $500 worth of lures in the pack. If I cant catch fish with that, I should just give it up. Have one medium action rod that I've caught everything from walleye to Musky, and have a crappie rod along for panfish.  Sometimes I'll have a 3rd rod along with a slip bobber set up, but that's it.

6/24/20 @ 8:37 PM
crobar
User since 6/19/01

I also downsized. I have stuff I bought that looked neat that I never used. My nephew last year up north showed me his small bag he brings, and I did the same. Leave big box in cabin then just take out whats needed . As others posted now its what to do with the rest I don't use.....garage sales...arrrgh

6/24/20 @ 4:31 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I have alot of stuff, but compared to others its probably not too bad. I would like to downsize but just can't bring myself to part ways with some of the tackle. It just accumulates for me, usually I do good with one lure then I buy some more of that because I'm low, then end up using something else. I try not to buy new tackle unless I absolutely need it. I go through frogs, swim jigs and spinnerbaits the most, mainly because pike chew them up. It's a pain if I ever fish in someone else's boat because I got just enough crap where I can't bring it all so then I have to sort through and decide what boxes and bags of plastics to bring. I have 8 3700 series tackle boxes, a spinngerbait box, a small duffel bag for plastics, and small 4 tray box for pan fish, plus my other ice and fly boxes. Once my son gets older I'll either give him some for his own box or he will lose plenty of my lures :)

6/24/20 @ 3:58 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Love it. As I downsize, that's how I'm going to to do it. When I was younger and didn't have the disposable income that I am currently blessed with, I would have sold them on Ebay or by other means to buy other stuff so I totally get guys doing that. My son will someday take my guns and guitars but he has no interest in fishing. I like the idea of filling a "beginner's tackle box". You can pick up used boxes at Goodwill or rummage sales cheap.

6/24/20 @ 3:35 PM
TH98
TH98
User since 7/15/14

@projectshutout   That's what I am talking about!!!!!  That is a great idea, the best I have heard in a long time.

6/24/20 @ 2:41 PM
projectshutout
User since 3/21/07

I also have a ton of stuff.  I had an idea to put an ad on Facebook Market Place.  I put  a nice little tackle box on and stated for free for a kid who was new to fishing.  To make  along story short I ended up with a special needs child with autism show up.  My surprise was to load the kid up when they got there with a bunch of stuff.  I gave him a bunch of tackle, bobbers, fishing pole.   The look on his face was priceless and made my day.   He was so happy.

I am going to do this again soon.  Just an idea

6/24/20 @ 11:13 AM
anneyealator
User since 6/24/12

like money and women...you can never have enough!!!!

6/23/20 @ 10:50 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I still have a lot of new lures and tackle... so my tackle boxes are pretty full... but I  have a nice tackle bag that I fill with lures and things like  bobbers, knots, leader material,  snaps, swivels,  weights, hooks,...etc that I think will get me thru the day... numerous rods n reels, 1 tidy bag

6/23/20 @ 12:33 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I have pretty much put a halt to buying tackle in the past couple of years. I had a couple hundred bucks built up on my Cabelas Club card and went on a shopping spree for all of the lures that I thought that I needed for my first trip to Canada. I have hundreds of crank and stick baits, bags full of plastics and spoons/pike lures. I can't even fit them all into one tackle box. I bet I have at least 10 lbs of jigs in all shapes, colors and sizes. 

Ironically, I used an 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig 99% of the time I was there. Since then, I've been back three times and only bring one small box full of jigs, lindy rigs, a few plastics and cranks. 

I'm going fishing with my BIL and his boy this weekend. The boy is just starting to really get into fishing, especially bass fishing. I have a bag of stuff I'm likely never going to use to give to him. He should be pretty excited. 

6/23/20 @ 10:42 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I have been selling rods, reels, lures and what ever I don’t use anymore. I would Like to sell a lot more, but I don’t want to go the EBay route. I’m not sure how to go about it though. I have a lot of crank baits, jerk baits, flat sides baits, plastics, hooks, tackles boxes, drift socks. I’m getting quite old and don’t want to leave this job for my kids. Most of my tackle is related to bass and walleye fishing. I hate garage sales!

6/23/20 @ 6:47 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

n.pike, I remember when I was younger I had the biggest tackle box that I could find. I used to drag that thing back and forth to Canada every year. Now at 63 years old my tackle box is always stored in the boat and is the size of a small Cooler. After years of fishing you always seem to have your go to baits that always seem to work.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE