I took my Dad and Father in Law out with a guide as a Father's Day Gift.  We were fishing mainly for Pike and Bass on a medium size inland lake close to home.  Then when we were pounding fish the guide actually said it was time to go to another location.  We all looked at each other wondering why. We then went to 3 different spots and caught only a couple more.  The guide also kept saying what a long day he had a head of him and how tired he was and basically stared at the locator the entire time.  So by the end of the trip both my Dad and Father in Law caught their personal bests in both bass and pike and my Dad caught a 6lb LMG almost 24 inches long. They both had big smiles coming back to the launch.

So as the boat came up to the launch and the guide tied us to the pier, my Dad in his late sixties slipped a little trying to get out of the boat and came close to stepping on a couple of the fishing rods. I caught him before he fell and nothing happened.  The guide started yelling at my Dad about how he almost broke the tips off of his rods. Not one comment about if my Dad was ok.  I just looked at him in disbelief for a minute before I paid him thinking about what to tip him. I gave him 50 bucks. So as we were leaving I did ask the guide if he needed help with his trailer and he said no that he had another guide trip in 30 minutes.

Now when we were driving home on what I thought was a great fishing day and hoping my Dad and Father in Law enjoyed their gift all they talked about was what an ass the guide was and about his probably free fishing poles maybe breaking which they didn't. 

And the kicker, the trip was over at 12 noon. That evening I went fishing by myself and guess where the guide was with his new clients. Yep, the honey hole that he had us leave earlier that day.  So I have wondered if that is why he had us leave that spot earlier when we were smoking them to only catch a few other fish the rest of the trip.

And now whenever I bring up the 6lb LMB and what a monster it was, the conversation always turns into the guide being rude. A great memory ruined and isn't that what fishing is suppose to be about? or is it all about the fish you catch? Still wondering if I should have not left a tip?