Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Minnow Traps

3/4/15 @ 12:13 PM
ORIGNAL POST
fishinfool1
User since 3/14/10
I just bought a Minnow trap, the kind that the minnows can swim in but can't get out. does anybody use these, what are your comments and do you put some kind of bait in them to attract minnows.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/16/15 @ 4:02 PM
NRAguy
NRAguy
User since 6/17/01
I caught bazzillions of minnows in wire traps without any bait at all.

4/16/15 @ 11:38 AM
Pete Moss
User since 5/3/12
I have been using Glass Minnow Traps for 40 or so years. First, there are places you can use them, and places where you can't. Read the rules about your area. What works best for me is setting them in slack water near riffles. I crush up soda crackers and mix with dry oatmeal. I make a sandwich baggie full before I leave home and put a small handful in each trap, facing the traps with the funnel downstream. After a couple minnow come into it they stir the bait up to make a "trail" of food downstream from the trap. Depending on the day it takes !5 minutes to an hour to get a nice batch of minnows. Hope that helps you with Glass traps. I never used the wire ones.

3/14/15 @ 12:52 AM
Momazboy
User since 6/14/10
Trust me I see them used plenty and I will spread the word as I am sure most people using them are unaware they are illegal. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law, and thanks for the heads up.

In regards to the actual conversation pertaining to minnow traps, I find that the rectangular ones hold up much better than the circular ones.

3/11/15 @ 10:09 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
Saw a casting net on the government pier downtown once. Guy was catching alewife for bait. Figured it was ok because I used to smelt. Good thing I hook and line catch my alewife for bait! He sure had bait quick though!

3/9/15 @ 9:37 PM
Momazboy
User since 6/14/10
Wow I'm glad you brought that up because i never realized they were illegal. I bought it in Wisconsin and see them used a lot in Wisconsin. Even though they are not specifically mentioned as being illegal they are not mentioned as an approved netting method.

Doing a google search on the subject one of the first things it brought up was your 2009 lake-link article on the subject mendota.

3/9/15 @ 6:46 PM
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01
Cast nets are not legal in Wisconsin, last I heard Did this change?

3/9/15 @ 3:42 PM
Momazboy
User since 6/14/10
I have recently started using cast nets with great success, but when i used minnow traps I found that by mixing dry cat food with flour and water to make a dough it stayed in trap a lot longer especially in current. I've got some good creeks here in southern Wisconsin and my traps would be packed with red belly daces, shiners, and creek chubs all at once on some days.

3/6/15 @ 8:50 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
I just gotta find a spot to try. Just picked up a trap recently. wouldn't mind crayfish though. Yum!

3/4/15 @ 5:36 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
dog food works good. Smile

3/4/15 @ 4:12 PM
mostlyfishing
User since 6/7/13
If you talking about the one that is in 2 pieces that can fit in a 5 gallon bucket then yes i use them and I like them. For bait i just use bread.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.