MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Lunkers Love Nightcrawlers Anyone?

11/9/08 @ 6:24 AM
INITIAL POST
Marc Morrone
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
With all the new lures and techniques, just wondering if there are still any "Nightcrawlers Secrets" guys still out there? If so, have you found any new twists for this super effective technique? Have a great day! Marc
Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts
11/17/19 @ 9:06 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I still have the original book by George ( Cold Front ) Pazik and occasionally re-read it.  It’s like my fishing bible lol.  I have it almost memorized.   I might even offer it up in the classified section because I now know everything about fishing!  LOL. And yes I still condition my crawlers. Carpio

11/17/19 @ 2:05 AM
Idiotcadaver66
User since 4/12/18

Just saw this thread years later guys. Yes , absolutely use this system on a heavily pressured lake west of Chicago. I dont go through the entire conditioning process with my crawlers. I take the short cut mentioned in the book. I'll put about 2 dozen crawlers( which I order online from a couple places in Minnesota) and place em in a container with unchlorinated bottled spring water. No bedding. I put em in the fridge for a couple days. These things absorb the water and I can hardly hold em to put a hook in em when I'm in the boat. I've caught tons of bass and walleyes on them. 

6/7/16 @ 5:59 PM
Badgerloader
User since 4/10/11

Boat Fever: Google buck perry shoplifting - the book is available

6/7/16 @ 4:00 PM
Lunkersteve1
User since 10/25/09

Revisited this ancient post.  Unfortunately Fishing Facts no longer exists and Lunkers Love Nightcrawlers is out of print.  Back in its heyday Fishing Facts was the best fishing magazine on the market.

I still fish nightcrawlers this way.  I hope Midwest Outdoors will decide to republish the book at some point (if they still own the rights).  Years ago I purchased the 1988 version to give as gifts to all of my brothers and sisters and a few friends.  I still have a 1972 version and a 1988 version that I read periodically.  I pass the knowledge on to new fishermen but I do not let the books out of my possession.  I would love to give more as gifts.

In my mind it remains the single best book for learning how to fish.

4/20/13 @ 4:30 PM
Retired007
User since 4/20/13
I started having success on the Mississippi when I used the night crawler secrets Bill described. Like you said, I caught anything & everything, and I still do! Good fishing!
1/26/09 @ 8:09 AM
Marc Morrone
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
Hey BF - I avoid any water that I am not sure of for my crawlers'. The icewater method is a really quick method that you would use over-nite, or preferably same day.

We have used it by putting crawlers in it when we got started in the AM and it puffs them up in a matter of an hour or two. I actually like it better as a same day method. The water has to stay ice cold, and if it warms up over nite, you get worm soup.

The water in the bucket should be non-tap, but the cubes can be from almost anywhere and you'll have no problem. Just remeber this is a quick treatment for crawlers that are to be used.

Think Spring!

1/25/09 @ 10:43 PM
BoatFever
BoatFever
User since 10/7/07
I was thinking about trying to condition crawlers like in the "Lunkers" book. One method presented was soaking them in icewater over night. When mixing bedding, I know you're not supposed to use tap water because it can kill the crawlers. So, isn't ice you buy in the store made from tap water and wouldn't that kill them as well? I can't imagine having to make ice cubes out of rain water. Wondering

12/23/08 @ 12:37 PM
Marc Morrone
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
Hey BF - one thing to keep in your bag of tricks is going to 4# line and #8 hooks. I have had many days when scaling back to this level put fish in the boat when even 6# didn't - especially on those hot, calm days of your August fishing trips!

Conditioning crawlers these days is not as important as 30 years ago, as the crawlers at most sport shops are pretty good - where 30 years ago they were usually picked or dug by the shop owners kids, and were not always "choice". But back then the worm containers didn't have bar codes on them either - kinda miss those days!

Keep warm and think spring!

Marc

12/22/08 @ 11:08 PM
BoatFever
BoatFever
User since 10/7/07
I finished reading this book tonight. I liked it. I had never heard of "nightcrawler conditioning" so that part was kind of interesting, although it seemed a bit extreme to me. Has anyone actually tried it? If so, was it worth the extra preparation?

The book was an easy read. By today's standards, it read like a "fishing for dummies" book. Some of the stuff I read in Walleye Insider is so technical it's difficult to finish the article. Still, the chapters on structure were by far the best I've read. It expanded what I consider to be structure and gave me some ideas on how to go about fishing structure I know about.

I thought it was interesting that in my own trials and errors this past summer, I had begun to migrate to what is presented as the "nightcrawler secrets" method. I had already given up the #4 baitholder hook in favor of a #6 Aberdeen hook as well as switching to 6lb line instead of 8 or 10 lb line and had begun tying directly to the hook instead of using a snap swivel. So, the method presented in the book was very close to the way I had been discovering on my own. Except, the book filled in a lot of gaps I was missing due to lack of time on the water and lack of experience, so I feel it was worth the read and maybe saved me a few seasons of fishing trying stuff out.

If you are a finesse fisherman, I recommend this book if you have an open mind to trying new things. But some of it was like being at an Amway meeting! I kind of glossed over those chapters.

The chapter about using solunar tables was interesting. I noticed the Fishing Reports section has a graph of "best fishing times" which are partly based on those tables. It seemed hokey-pokey to me, but who knows? It would be interesting to note whether the times I've caught fish corresponded to any of the predicted times.

Now, I'd like to check out Buck Perry's "Spoonplugging" book, except it's out of stock everywhere. Sweating

-- BF

12/10/08 @ 7:50 PM
Marc Morrone
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
The thing about this tactic is once you really get in to it, you catch some of everything.

That's what I loved so much about fishing as a kid. We'd go out and end up all kinds of fish flopping in the basket. Not that I keep fish like we used to 25 years ago, but it's still fun to just go fishin'.

Plain, simple, relaxing fun - that's what it's really all about.

Keep warm all!

12/10/08 @ 1:41 PM
Party Crasher
User since 6/16/03
There is much discussed today about finesse tactics. This was the "mother of all finesse" tactics.

Another good read from the past and what I would consider a text book on fishing 101, is "Catching Fish" by Al Lindner and Chet Myers. Many public libraries still have copies of this one or watch e-bay.

12/10/08 @ 12:20 PM
BoatFever
BoatFever
User since 10/7/07
Speaking of classics, last year I bought Babe Winkelman's "Panfishing" DVD. You could make a drinking game out of every time he said "Now, THAT's a crappie!". I had to laugh at Babe, this huge guy wearing those short cut-offs.

I think one reason this nightcrawler technique clicks with me is because it was the very first "real" fishing technique I ever learned. Honest to God, the first time my girlfriend (now my wife) and I went up North to fish, I rowed out into the middle of the lake with my Zebco 404 and a clip-on bobber set to about 2 feet and cast it out with a worm on the hook. We both got bored - didn't catch a thing (surprised?). The next year, my brother in law and his wife came along and he showed me how to drag a crawler on the bottom with a split shot about 18" up the line from the hook. Caught my first walleye that way. Since then, I've bought way too much crap that I didn't need and will probably never use or work if I did use them. Now, I find myself going back to how it started, although more finely tuned and with better equipment and some basic knowledge of structure. Jig fishing, crankbaits, spoons, slip bobbers, etc will still have their place, but I think I'm ready to give this another try.

*looks at calendar and sighs*

- BF

12/10/08 @ 11:16 AM
.westsidebenny
User since 2/9/08
I'll probably end up getting this as a christmas present to self...if you guys are fans of the timeless classics no fishing library can be called complete without Buck Perry's book on Spoonplugging. Less than 10% of the book is about the lure, 90% is about structure and how to disect a lake systematically. I don't care who you are, that book will give you ideas. Also, kind of fun to read something printed in another time... "heavy stringers of limit catches" LOL. The principals did open me up to deep water pike fishing and although nothing goes on my stringer, some real lunkers were caught.

12/10/08 @ 11:12 AM
Party Crasher
User since 6/16/03
I never got into the nightcrawlers, but the system works with minnows. leeches, etc. My uncle got into the conditioned crawlers. He fed them coffee grounds, corn meal, chick starter feed, ice cream, etc. They were unbelieveable. They were like baby snakes!

There is an art to picking them too. He had a belt with containers for gathering and then one with saw dust to keep your hands dry. If your hands are dry, you don't have to grip them too hard to get them out of the ground. He had a head lamp with red celophane over the lense. He was very selective on the ones he caught.

If you want the right rod for this technique, have someone make you a spinning rod out of an 8 foot, 7 weight fly rod blank. When I first started making rods this technique was just getting popular and I must have made 50 of them for people. The old Fenglass blanks were outstanding for these Nightcrawler secrets rods.

12/10/08 @ 10:35 AM
BoatFever
BoatFever
User since 10/7/07
I bought the book and am a bit more than half through. The early part of the book seems like a series of fish stories with a tiny tidbit of information about the technique buried in the middle of a chapter. I'm well into the structure discussion, which is very interesting to me right now because the terminology and language used to describe structure fishing is different enough from the current magazines to give me a different perspective on it. I'll be looking at some spots on some lakes that I wouldn't have otherwise taken a look at.

The "supercrawler" stuff is kind of funny. I plan to do an experiment next summer. I want to take a dozen "regular" crawlers and a dozen "supercrawlers" and see what happens.

So far, I'm liking the book. The author(s) aren't making the claim of a magic bullet, but come right out and say that in order to consistently catch bigger fish, you need to do your homework and you need to put in the time to locate the fish.

So, thanks for the original post. I never knew this book existed and probably wouldn't have bought a fishing book with "Lunker" in the title, otherwise. Smile

I've learned a lot from this book so far. Can't wait to put some of my new knowledge to the test.

- BF

Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE