LOGIN
Lake-Link

Live Bait

7/7/20 @ 11:51 PM
ORIGNAL POST
betterthanwork09
betterthanwork09
User since 8/28/15

Wife was giving me a hard time at the bait shop the other day for not being able to make up my mind on what to buy; I walked out with leeches, night crawlers, crappie minnows, and fatheads. I just laughed and said you never know what's gonna do the job. 

My question is, what is your go to live bait for a good weekend on the water?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/12/20 @ 4:51 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

On the Madison Chain I never leave home without jumbo red worms.  I usually bring some crawlers too, and heck even minnows, but if I have to choose one it's large red worms.  I have caught almost everything that swims in the Madison chain on them.  Lots of bluegills and perch, which is what I fish for most often, but I've caught tons of bass and walleye on them too.

7/11/20 @ 11:19 PM
jemstone90
jemstone90
User since 7/7/15

Live bait is the best 90% of the time, but the type depends on what your fishing for. On Minnetonka for Bass medium suckers and bigger fat heads and river mix or leeches will catch fish. For Pike or Muskie BIG suckers (8-12 inch), My biggest Muskie hit on a 2-4 LB Large mouth I was reeling in that I caught on an 8 inch sucker minnow (that's when I realized I needed to use bigger bait). Crappie minnows and Fat heads catch bigger pan fish in the summer in deeper water. 

The big question is what artificial baits will catch the fish your going to target, so you know which tackle box to carry!

7/10/20 @ 4:43 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

On Green Bay it's minnows for perch ....  usually.   Crawler chunks ....occasionally.

7/10/20 @ 1:42 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Now that is tough, depends on the lake, and time of the year.  Sometimes I buy crawlers by the flat, leeches by the pound, and minnows by the quart or gallon.

7/8/20 @ 6:06 PM
nemab-man
User since 7/5/11

A 4"to 5" live bluegill with a 5/0 circle hook in it's back. 

In the early summer I'll use a float. When it's hot like now I just freeline them deep, 15' down or more. If you put the bluegill bait deep where little bluegills don't belong, sooner or later something will eat it.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.