MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Live Bait

7/7/20 @ 11:51 PM
INITIAL POST
betterthanwork09
betterthanwork09
User since 8/28/15

Wife was giving me a hard time at the bait shop the other day for not being able to make up my mind on what to buy; I walked out with leeches, night crawlers, crappie minnows, and fatheads. I just laughed and said you never know what's gonna do the job. 

My question is, what is your go to live bait for a good weekend on the water?

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
4/11/21 @ 7:55 AM
walleyeralph
User since 6/20/01

Picked 18 dozen worms last night,u might say I fish alot.Enjoying retirement in the boat. 

11/10/20 @ 7:54 AM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

Big Ken, be sure to check the bedding from time to time as it may dry out.

11/9/20 @ 11:32 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Store them in a cool, dry place.  Usually the basement floor is a good place, long as your basement floor doesn't get wet.

11/9/20 @ 10:50 PM
big ken
User since 6/3/06

I am in need of some help. There are all sorts of ideas on this subject, but I could use info I could trust. 

In August I bought a flat of worms. Due to a number of unrelated events, randomly strung together, I still about half of them left.

What would be the best way to store them for the winter?  

Any details or thoughts would be helpful. 

BK

7/12/20 @ 4:51 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

On the Madison Chain I never leave home without jumbo red worms.  I usually bring some crawlers too, and heck even minnows, but if I have to choose one it's large red worms.  I have caught almost everything that swims in the Madison chain on them.  Lots of bluegills and perch, which is what I fish for most often, but I've caught tons of bass and walleye on them too.

7/11/20 @ 11:19 PM
jemstone90
jemstone90
User since 7/7/15

Live bait is the best 90% of the time, but the type depends on what your fishing for. On Minnetonka for Bass medium suckers and bigger fat heads and river mix or leeches will catch fish. For Pike or Muskie BIG suckers (8-12 inch), My biggest Muskie hit on a 2-4 LB Large mouth I was reeling in that I caught on an 8 inch sucker minnow (that's when I realized I needed to use bigger bait). Crappie minnows and Fat heads catch bigger pan fish in the summer in deeper water. 

The big question is what artificial baits will catch the fish your going to target, so you know which tackle box to carry!

7/10/20 @ 4:43 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

On Green Bay it's minnows for perch ....  usually.   Crawler chunks ....occasionally.

7/10/20 @ 1:42 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Now that is tough, depends on the lake, and time of the year.  Sometimes I buy crawlers by the flat, leeches by the pound, and minnows by the quart or gallon.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE