SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Line snapping randomly

6/15/21 @ 6:35 PM
INITIAL POST
FishinFool817
User since 4/10/16

I have a ugly stik carbon rod with a kast king baitcast reel with 12lb mono line and it snapped two lures  off mid cast (no backlash) the first time using it, so i switched to 20lb braid and did it again for the 3rd time since ive owned it brand new, any thoughts as to whats causing this? The line guides look fine with no obvious nicks

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
6/17/21 @ 3:17 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

As mentioned, take a Q-tip and rub it around the inside of the guides. A very overlooked place is the line guide on the reel itself...the reason you have to use Q-tips is often the abrasion is so small, you may not see it with your naked eye. The cotton fibers will find it and show you though! Also, some monofilament lines are more brittle than others. Berkley Big Game mono used to be THE WORST...if you had a minor backlash or the line looped over a guide, etc...kiss whatever bait you had tied on goodbye! It sounded like someone cracked a bullwhip and you got to watch your bait sail off into the sunset! Didn't matter if it was 10#, 12#, 17#, etc...it was just plain brittle! I have found that 'abrasion resistant' monofilament lines are more prone to this than 'easy casting'...Trilene XL was probably the best mono I've ever used, but I use primarily braid with a fluorocarbon leader on most rods now. Panfish I still use mono and it is 4# Trilene XL or 4# Zebco OmniFlex. It is either your guides, reel or old/crappy line. 

6/16/21 @ 10:26 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Any issues on the reel?  I haven't had issues on baitcast reels, but I did have a spinning reel where a crack appeared near where the line guide was and it would catch in that crack.

6/16/21 @ 9:23 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I use Ugly sticks for my trolling rods. Be careful that you don't wind up your leads so that the swivel gets dragged through the end tip. That will cause a crack/crease that will snap your line. Happened more than once!  Mrt.

6/16/21 @ 8:30 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

migr8tr has a great tip... also, check your line... if you're fishing lakes with zebra mussels, they tend to nick and cut line also

6/15/21 @ 11:16 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I’d bet it’s a hairline crack in the tip or other guide. Spin a q-tip in each guide and see if any cotton catches in them. 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE