Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Larry Smith Fishing show

4/18/16 @ 5:56 AM
ORIGNAL POST
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I've watched this show a couple times now, and think it's a pretty good show. He seems down to earth. What do you guys think?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 318 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/19/20 @ 6:22 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

First fish you get on a fly you made yourself is a serious rush!

3/19/20 @ 5:42 PM
Cat Man J.J.
User since 5/9/03

Crawdaddy is right you don't need a $500 fly rod to get into fly fishing and welder you will probably be surprised how fast you get the hang of it.

I have a steelhead on the wall of my office at work that I caught on a fly rod with a fly I tied, that was a great day.

3/19/20 @ 1:25 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

Welder... I start by teaching the basic rhythm of the cast in a wide open area.  No hook.  Then when ready to try live... go in a boat and make sure nothing is behind boat to get line tangled.  Also want to avoid winds over 10 mph... at least at first. Seems scary or hard... but when you hook up?  That rush is pretty awesome.  See a fish hit on 90% of casts?  Well, that just becomes pure angling bliss... I am about 2-3 weeks away from days like that.... virus is not stopping me.  Usually the only trailer at the landing anyway.... 

3/19/20 @ 9:33 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

There is no such thing as overboard in terms of equipment.  Now if you have lots of equipment and are good at fishing, you hit utopia.

I have boxes of crankbaits that don't touch the water anymore because something new and shiny came out.  Almost like investing in gold.  I think some of those rapalas were $2.00 when I bought them, tripled in price now.

3/19/20 @ 9:13 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10
I’ve always wanted to try using a fly rod but never have. I feel like I’d have that line wrapped up in all the trees behind me. Lol

3/19/20 @ 8:27 AM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

Afford has nothing to do with it.  I have a nicely balanced 8.5’ 7wt fly rod and reel I bought at Fleet Farm in 1990.  It is a pflueger.  I’ve caught north of 10,000 bluegills , 100’s of carp, some smallmouth, a few crappies, dozens of trout, and even a perch or two with it. Amazing piece of fishing equipment. Cost? $39!  Oh, and a few pike too, well pike that smacked a bluegill on way to boat anyway. I teach a person or three how to use a fly rod most years.  It’s easier than most think and having a big day sight fishing with top water / dry flies?  More fun than should be legally allowed.

3/19/20 @ 7:46 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Cat Man, I must be an Angler then. I’ve got plenty of equipment. Now, what’s the definition of Angler equipment supply? Are you Overboard, Well equipped, Just right, or can’t afford squat? 

3/18/20 @ 3:44 PM
beer bum
User since 1/9/19

Reading this discussion is making my eyes bleed.....

3/17/20 @ 9:13 PM
Cat Man J.J.
User since 5/9/03

Relax Big_Shane you've made it to angler, possibly master angler in you future.

The number of tackle boxes and rods wasn't some kind of measuring between avid fishermen or someone that likes to go fishing once in a while. You can't be a great angler just by buying fishing equipment, the most successful fisherman are the ones that enjoy the sport the most.

If you really want to look close at the words fisherman and angler there's one thing that stands out to me is that the would fisherman is gender specific and a female angler could be offended by that word or even worse fisherwoman lol. I think the proper term to use is angler.

JJ

3/17/20 @ 8:50 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Once u reach 30 rods a statue should be put up in your honor!! U can’t see it but I’ve removed my hat and am taking a knee!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 318 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.