LOGIN
Lake-Link

Larry Smith Fishing show

4/18/16 @ 4:56 AM
ORIGNAL POST
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I've watched this show a couple times now, and think it's a pretty good show. He seems down to earth. What do you guys think?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 284 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 2:15 PM
perch_master
perch_master
User since 7/7/06

Probably has too many dates and doesn't have time...or just busy with the guiding??

TODAY @ 1:51 PM
hook, line&sinker
User since 4/18/07

What happened to Lance. Do not see him in Larrys show anymore.

TODAY @ 10:56 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

One more comment about this weeks show:  At 7 minutes they show a huge school of perch, when talking about the school of perch being several feet thick.  There's Eurasian Milfoil in that shot with all of those perch, so there's no chance that shot is coming from the Madison lakes, those weeds don't grow down that deep!

They're definitely fishing in Madison, I have no doubt about that based on the background and the houses Larry drives by in his auger machine, but the school of perch shot couldn't be coming from 60 foot of water when there's weeds at the bottom!

TODAY @ 10:44 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

There are two lakes in Madison with water deeper than 60 feet, BTW, and both have descent populations of perch in them.  The other two Madison area lakes (well 3 I guess, if you include Wingra) are not deeper than 36 feet.  I've caught perch on all four of the lakes.  What's neat about the two Madison lakes is sometimes the schools of perch are in 60 feet of water, but can be only 10-20 feet down!  Typically they're 10 feet of the bottom or less though, but the schools are rarely right on the bottom.  A fishing locator is a must out there to find those fish!

I saw the swish rods for sale at the fishing show a few years ago.  I'm pretty sure someone still makes them.  The show was definitely one one of the Madison Lakes (As Brian even stated "CITY OF MADISON LAKES" real clear, so he doesn't want everyone to know where they're at.  Lol, anyone local will know right where they were!  The floats that Brian has for his ATV are mounted on the front of the machine and in the back, and they have things mounted to them like rod holders and stuff, so you can hardly tell they're floats, but believe me they're on there!  Not so sure about Larry's machine though...I've been told ANY motorized vehicle requires a float permit.  That would include those ice auger machines, but maybe he checked with Dane County before riding out there to see if he would need a permit or not?  If not, we might be seeing some more of those vehicles out there very soon!  Nah, I doubt it, they cost more than just buying an old, used ATV and buying some floats for it!  

TODAY @ 10:42 AM
benuts
benuts
User since 1/19/02

Thank you

TODAY @ 2:55 AM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

Some of my good friends from high school worked for the Handishop in Tomah  and one of them was instrumental in it's design.  Great idea and it could be used as a tip up too with a flag attachment.  Large oversized reel for taking up line quickly for deep water fishing. 

if you are fishing in over 30 feet , you better plan on keeping everything as they will be dead due to pressure changes.

2/17/20 @ 5:50 PM
Coolhog
User since 10/7/18

If you are fishing deep, a switch rod will get down there faster put anything on the market today because you can set the depth and drop it down the hole....done....

2/17/20 @ 4:11 PM
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
User since 5/22/15

benuts

Mendota Rig

A "modern" Mendota sinker picture #1 (as mentioned, we used a portion of a metal hanger).

A "Swish" rod & reel.

After a little search, it looks as though somebody tried to resurrect the Swish rod company 20+ years ago, but to no avail. 

2/17/20 @ 12:22 PM
benuts
benuts
User since 1/19/02

Missed it.  What is a Mendota rig & want does it do?

Thanks

2/17/20 @ 12:09 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

kind of a boring show, best part was showing a healthy perch population.... weirdest part was the fart noises added when the guide was in a "compromising position" ....

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 284 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.