MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Kenai, Alaska fishing in June. What do I need to know

5/18/22 @ 4:38 PM
INITIAL POST
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie
PRO MEMBER User since 4/12/21

I'll be flying into Anchorage and staying the night to get up and drive to stay off Kenai river for a 7 nights (2 days fishing for halibut in the Cook inlet, 3 days fishing for Kinds and Sockeye in the Kenai river and one day off to mess about on our own, and no fishing the day we get there I guess)

We booked with Rod N Real Alaska https://www.rodnreal.com/ 

This will be my 1st trip there. Anyone have experience with theses guys? 

Any questions besides the obvious I should ask them before leaving? 

I'm not traveling with any gear we will use all the charters stuff (not crazy about not having one of my reel/poles I like with me) but ...

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 42 posts
8/1/22 @ 7:32 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie

Wow great pics LJ! Those cabins look pretty sweet as did the fishing!. Sorry for the delay I unexpectedly had a few weeks off line for the most part and life took a hold of me. My father has been in the hospital for a bit now and is now back home with no answers just feeling a little better but not out of the woods just yet.  Its been so long I almost forgot about this thread. wow 23,726 views! I still have day 6 to review lol sorry guys my kids and my father have taken all my time and with what was left of it I wanted to sleep. I will finish day 6 sometime this week and post the videos of whales and other imgur links with some more pics have to go through them all.  

7/20/22 @ 9:15 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
User since 9/6/13

Here some more!

Kenai, Alaska fishing in June. What do I need to know photo by LJ Walleye Master
Kenai, Alaska fishing in June. What do I need to know photo by LJ Walleye Master
7/20/22 @ 9:08 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
User since 9/6/13

What an amazing trip!  Pulling up a Halibut from 350 ft is a chore!  Really felt my age this week. 

6/25/22 @ 11:56 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie

Kenai, Alaska fishing in June. What do I need to know photo by MindLeftBowie
6/25/22 @ 11:55 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie

6/25/22 @ 11:54 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie

6/25/22 @ 11:52 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie

6/25/22 @ 11:51 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie

6/25/22 @ 11:48 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie

Day 5 and 6 we were scheduled floss the Kenai due to the Kings being closed to drift so we we able to switch one day to to the Kasilof River another glacier-fed river that stretches for 17-miles. While booking this trip we found out that Kings were closing on this river and it was to be the last day of Kings on the Kasilof and we had a shot at one. 

This was a drift boat fishing with the guide rowing against the current back trolling and sometimes anchored. The Kasilof has some different views than the Kenai. For starters the water it self is an aqua blue and much clearer and not many buildings on the shore. 

We met the guide at the park boat ramp and got to it. Once we got out there and he was demonstrating how were going to drift (with the two front seats out 50' and the two middle seats out 40')Boom my rod goes down but not down as far as it should be for a king. lol Sockeye hits it and got him in the boat. The rest of the half day trip was slow but eventful with views tons of golden eagles and balds. We did have two hits on my brothers rod but nothing else in the boat that day. Boats right around us were taking kings but it just wasn't our day. It's almost like Alaska was giving me a reason to have to come back. Though I'd be lying about that reason because in my head I was already scheming a way to get back on day 2. 

The river was really low and the way you get out was comical. There is a guy that owns this piece of land on the river and has pallets going all way down the muddy river embankment with a cable that pulls the boat up by attaching the cable to your trailer. there is this ramp at top that pulls the boat right onto the trailer. There is another cable and they run that down and have you pull the next guy out while pulling off lol. This guy charges per boat and has probably 100+ boats a day and is the only game in town for these guides at the moment. I guess the state is building a ramp and will put this guy out of business with his gouging prices. 

Musky for Nothing, 

MLB

pics to come. Can I post Imgur video links? 

6/23/22 @ 9:14 PM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie

Been crazy at work and baseball playoffs and championship with my kids little league will finish the trip reports this weekend. And post some more pics

6/20/22 @ 8:46 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

I worked in Kenai back in '92; Not sure if you're still up there but there was a little restaurant called "Little Skimo" that had AWESOME food.  If it's still there, give it a try.

6/20/22 @ 6:14 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

MLB... thanks for sharing, great report and pics!

6/19/22 @ 5:20 PM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie

Happy Fathers Day

6/19/22 @ 5:05 PM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie

6/19/22 @ 5:03 PM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie

Day 4 was set to be our day off to do as we please but we met a guy in Seward, that said he would put us on the Sockeye and we would have a shot at all of our limits (6) each man. My pops was out and was just as happy hanging out at the Caribou cabin at Rod n Real Alaska watching the nice selections of “CVD’s as he called them. Lol  it was a bit of a walk out into the bay at low tide. Its either one of the largest tide or the largest tide drops in the world and he would have had a hard time or surely fell in the water  

After reaching the small gravel parking lot overflowing with trucks and guys and families in waders and natives in T shirts and jeans. It was pretty cold and I wished I brought my wool hunting socks. 

On every Rod n Real Alaskan fishing trip the guides or Capt’s all had Avet reels minus Dave on the Kenai river had behemoth fly reels for the flossing  

Autumn at the lodge was taking care of the day to day operations bc the owner and his wife were having a baby  this week and we couldn’t be happier witn our trip and the accommodations.  We wanted to make some changes to our schedule and Autumn was very helpful at making that happen  in addition to lending us rods and reels and boot waders to take 2 hrs away for the day  luckily they didnt have any other river trips planned so it worked out for us  

We meet our buddy in the parking lot and head out to the beach access spot and once we get out of the small trail it opens io to long strip of fishermen flossing for sockeye  its a bit bit of a walk to get out to them and beyond the small pools of water still holding fish from the tide going out  We got out there just at the slack end of the low tide going into high tide and stayed out there for a while until it just got a bit hairy coming back in  we didnt catch out limit each bit brought in 6 or 7   The sights are unbelievable In Seward  

My brothers dont like flossing or snagging to much one one just complained about everything and its a bit of too much physical work for my old man to do all day  my Oldest brother (56) refused to learn the new ways and just complained about snagging  Well he brought his ultra light out there and out buddy took one look at him and said what are you planning on doing with that? Mind you he has 4lb test on it and the “snagging hook alone could surely break this rod/line  He refused and pushed on and set it up All our buddy could do was say goodbye to his $4 hook 1st cast the line broke before the hook hit the water  i was laughing so hard I had to walk away or surly there would have been a fight  im still laughing just as hard this day was awesome  

Reach out if you want to know where the salmon spot is in Seward.  I don’t want to just post the spot  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 42 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE