LOGIN
Lake-Link

Kenai, Alaska fishing in June. What do I need to know

5/18/22 @ 4:38 PM
ORIGINAL POST
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie
MEMBER SINCE 4/12/21

I'll be flying into Anchorage and staying the night to get up and drive to stay off Kenai river for a 7 nights (2 days fishing for halibut in the Cook inlet, 3 days fishing for Kinds and Sockeye in the Kenai river and one day off to mess about on our own, and no fishing the day we get there I guess)

We booked with Rod N Real Alaska https://www.rodnreal.com/ 

This will be my 1st trip there. Anyone have experience with theses guys? 

Any questions besides the obvious I should ask them before leaving? 

I'm not traveling with any gear we will use all the charters stuff (not crazy about not having one of my reel/poles I like with me) but ...

Thank you in advance for any replies.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 39 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

6/25/22 @ 11:56 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie
MEMBER SINCE 4/12/21

6/25/22 @ 11:55 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie
MEMBER SINCE 4/12/21

6/25/22 @ 11:54 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie
MEMBER SINCE 4/12/21

6/25/22 @ 11:52 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie
MEMBER SINCE 4/12/21

6/25/22 @ 11:51 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie
MEMBER SINCE 4/12/21

6/25/22 @ 11:48 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie
MEMBER SINCE 4/12/21

Day 5 and 6 we were scheduled floss the Kenai due to the Kings being closed to drift so we we able to switch one day to to the Kasilof River another glacier-fed river that stretches for 17-miles. While booking this trip we found out that Kings were closing on this river and it was to be the last day of Kings on the Kasilof and we had a shot at one. 

This was a drift boat fishing with the guide rowing against the current back trolling and sometimes anchored. The Kasilof has some different views than the Kenai. For starters the water it self is an aqua blue and much clearer and not many buildings on the shore. 

We met the guide at the park boat ramp and got to it. Once we got out there and he was demonstrating how were going to drift (with the two front seats out 50' and the two middle seats out 40')Boom my rod goes down but not down as far as it should be for a king. lol Sockeye hits it and got him in the boat. The rest of the half day trip was slow but eventful with views tons of golden eagles and balds. We did have two hits on my brothers rod but nothing else in the boat that day. Boats right around us were taking kings but it just wasn't our day. It's almost like Alaska was giving me a reason to have to come back. Though I'd be lying about that reason because in my head I was already scheming a way to get back on day 2. 

The river was really low and the way you get out was comical. There is a guy that owns this piece of land on the river and has pallets going all way down the muddy river embankment with a cable that pulls the boat up by attaching the cable to your trailer. there is this ramp at top that pulls the boat right onto the trailer. There is another cable and they run that down and have you pull the next guy out while pulling off lol. This guy charges per boat and has probably 100+ boats a day and is the only game in town for these guides at the moment. I guess the state is building a ramp and will put this guy out of business with his gouging prices. 

Musky for Nothing, 

MLB

pics to come. Can I post Imgur video links? 

6/23/22 @ 9:14 PM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie
MEMBER SINCE 4/12/21

Been crazy at work and baseball playoffs and championship with my kids little league will finish the trip reports this weekend. And post some more pics

6/20/22 @ 8:46 PM
Igor
USER SINCE 6/20/01

I worked in Kenai back in '92; Not sure if you're still up there but there was a little restaurant called "Little Skimo" that had AWESOME food.  If it's still there, give it a try.

6/20/22 @ 6:14 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

MLB... thanks for sharing, great report and pics!

6/19/22 @ 5:20 PM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie
MEMBER SINCE 4/12/21

Happy Fathers Day

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 39 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.