User since 7/23/03

john has a great show...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 5,304 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 7:21 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

... how do you know they don't sort out the 10lb crappies in the final, big prize drawing... it's a prize giveaway, not a true contest

TODAY @ 2:27 AM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
User since 3/26/15

I just got done reading all this jargon and to say I crapped my pants would be an understatement. 

8/21/19 @ 9:09 PM
beer bum
User since 1/9/19

I don't disagree with you nihsif - except the claptrap about twisted undies.  I watch the show every week.  Other than some of the over the top antics, I like the show a lot. 

Not sure why you think that the concern about the contest cheaters isn't valid.  Badger makes the main point - that if you are going to give away expensive prizes, it behooves you to make some effort to ensure that the winners are legit.  

8/21/19 @ 9:20 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

My Grandaughter and I BOTH Won Gillispies fishing contest with 2 23in. Smallies, both ACCURATELY measured and photographed 2 completely different fish caught 45 minutes appart.Caught 7 that morning between 21 and 23in. Fish the Bay and you MIGHT get one even bigger! Grandad

8/21/19 @ 9:10 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I completely understand.  I just limited out on 17 inch crappies last week so I know where all these contest entrants are coming from.  I also had a limit of 32 inch walleyes but let them grow up a little more.  

Seriously though I love the show, love the local spots, and Johns personality doesn't bother me.  I also love brats. and talking up advertisers is part of having funds to do a show so that doesn't bother me either.  It's just they should weed out the obvious embellished photos if they're giving away big prizes for it.  Unless everyone submitting photos have giant hands lol.

8/21/19 @ 12:10 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

beer bum, fighter for truth , justice and the American way... hahaha

never seen so many full grown men get their panties in a twist over a promotional gimmick.. I suppose JG and/or FF should invest in a team of fact finders to weed out any contest entrants that have pictures that are not acceptable and hunt them down!! lol

criticize the show all you want, hey, John can be annoying... it's part of what he sells to advertisers, and he's been VERY successful at it, at least the sponsors think so... I've been known to hit the mute button from time to time myself ... but it' a local fishing show, John is very family orientated, even if he's not perfect, it's a great legacy for his family and tribute to his father Earl

naturally , opinions vary! my favorite line ...

8/20/19 @ 10:21 PM
beer bum
User since 1/9/19

About brat cooking and pants filling?  Pass.  

8/20/19 @ 6:10 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Big Shane may be able to shed some light on this subject to put all your minds at ease. 

8/19/19 @ 9:47 PM
beer bum
User since 1/9/19

Lot of blasphemy being posted here.  Criticizing the show?   How dare you!!  

Seriously though, I get all the promoting sponsors and all that.  But in regards to the fishing contest, the weekly winners get thrown into the end of the year contest.  Winners there get some pretty darn nice (and expensive) prizes.  The rules should be tightened up.  Legit fish can lose out to cheaters - and that’s not right.  

8/18/19 @ 10:18 AM
shorepatrol
MEMBER since 10/12/03

Someone has to call this.  On last week's show John was up on Green Bay with Brett Jolly.  At the start of the show John said they were using Hyper-Rattle lures and every fish caught jigging on that show came in on a Shiver Minnow.  This week up in the Apostle Islands with Josh Tiegen they were jigging 1 oz.  Mr. Champs and a 6" Kalin's grub on a jig head.  Looked like every lure I saw catch a fish was some sort of blade bait like a Vibratto.  So he's not showing us "what their using and how their using it". Just saying.  Very entertaining though, just lost some credibility from my family.  I know, guides gotta have their trade secrets.

Tight Lines

Chris

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 5,304 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.