bubba the catfish
USER SINCE 7/23/03

john has a great show...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 5,619 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

TODAY @ 7:06 AM
Timmothy A
USER SINCE 5/17/09

John and Blake usually do a few solo trips every summer, trips to Big Cedar come to mind.  I watch more for the guides than John or Blake, they are the vehicles that get us to see the guides.  John does have a deadly crisp jigging cadence that I can only dream of.  (I'm not a jigging guy) 

6/15/21 @ 8:39 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER SINCE 12/19/10

I record Gillespie every week but it’s getting pretty tough to watch. I felt awkward watching the last one for sure, the guy wouldn’t talk even when asked a question and when the lady caught a fish Josh jumps in front of her holding her fish and all you see is the top of her head. I can appreciate having new or upcoming guides on the show to promote them but Maina, Manthei, Tiegan and others are pretty well established guides so can’t John fish on his own? It seems after 40+ years he doesn’t have a ton of fishing knowledge. I still watch but usually zip through the episode pretty quick. 

6/15/21 @ 8:20 AM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
USER SINCE 4/20/07

Gillespie's show is all about plugging his sponsors while they are fishing.  Granted, it's the sponsors that pay him, but I think it gets a little excessive and obvious while they are fishing.  Other shows I have watched will take a break maybe in a different segment and explain the equipment, line, and lures they are using, which is their time for plugging the sponsors.  It's true Gillespie uses the same lures/plastics in every show.  It would be nice if they tried different lures and explain their use/success, but it's only about the sponsor.

Maybe they should hold a screen test for their winners before they appear on their show,   .

6/15/21 @ 7:29 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

I didn't like how they filmed the 'winners'.  I had a hard time telling they were there most of the time.  One of the fish that the woman caught was held up by Josh and they completely blocked her face and just talked to Josh.  Feel like we watch Josh catch fish every other week.  Let the woman have some camera time, we spent how long watching Blake learn to fish.  That woman was about as good as she was at the beginning.  I agree the guy didn't want to talk much, hard to work with that.

For a difference, I started watching Superior Angling on youtube because I plan to do some lake trout fishing.  That show is a night and day difference.  He even has an episode about the equipment he uses and how he uses it.  Rods, line, baits, etc.  Very informative show.  I can actually say I learned a few things, I can't say that I learn anything from Gillespie's show.  Just use the same plastics every show.

I'll still watch Gillespie though, don't get me wrong.  Its all entertainment, good or bad. 

6/14/21 @ 1:47 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

tough call. some guests are simply not made for tv.... the guy might have been nervous or something about being filmed, but getting a word or two out of him looked like pulling teeth, at least the gal was trying to have fun... yeah, obviously inexperienced, but she was having fun and participated in the show...

...one thing for sure, they raked in some dang nice prizes... !!

6/14/21 @ 11:03 AM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
USER SINCE 4/20/07

Wasn't to happy about this week's show. You have two winners fishing with them and the entire show was about John, Josh and Blake catching fish. Heck the woman on the show obviously wasn't a fisherman and they didn't even have the decency to show her how to hold the rod, to control it better.  If your going to have guests on the show that could use a little coaching, do it, just don't let them fend for themselves. Getting a little tired of the same old same old.

6/7/21 @ 10:42 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

wasn't his boat, maybe he has a first aid kit on his boat... I do, made one up with a tupperware'ish case to keep dry

6/7/21 @ 9:02 AM
gardenerjohn
USER SINCE 10/4/13

Noticed John said he couldn't talk and watch his bobber at the same time...maybe he should do LESS talkin

6/6/21 @ 4:18 PM
bass2403
USER SINCE 10/15/03

If he's on blood thinners wouldn't it be good to carry band aids or gauze?

6/6/21 @ 8:47 AM
skarbo1
USER SINCE 2/3/05

You must have missed him being on blood thinners..... Been there done that

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 5,619 POSTS
Advertise here
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
The Deadeye Custom Series rods are all custom technique specific walleye jigging rods designed for the tournament walleye angler. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Dead Eye Custom Series Rods
Lithium Ion batteries provide a consistent speed and torque from fillet to fillet, without reduced power or slow down as battery power wanes. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala R12 Fillet Knife Kit
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.