MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Inflatable Life Vest ?

1/9/16 @ 8:40 AM
INITIAL POST
Go-Fish
Go-Fish
PRO MEMBER User since 3/17/02
Anybody wear an inflatable life vest while fishing? Like most people that I see on the water, I haven't put a life jacket on in over 50 years. They are too bulky and hot, but now that I have a titanium shoulder, I am pretty sure my swimming ability will not be what it once was. I hear "Auto Inflate" life jackets inflate by themselves in hot weather or while in a hot storage compartment. "Manual Inflate" units solve that problem but if I am going to spend the bucks and I am wearing it for "Safety" I feel I should get one with all available "Safety" features. Anybody using either of these ? Can anyone recommend a good one? Mike
Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts
9/26/20 @ 3:28 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Used my inflatable life vest for the first time today.  Barely noticed it was on.  Way more comfortable than a standard life vest!  Glad I went with the self-inflating one.  I can also be string-pulled or manually inflated by mouth.  I'm sure that's standard for all of the self-inflating ones.

9/24/20 @ 3:33 PM
Symmetre
User since 5/11/20

I've also worn them for years. Mine is the Mustang with the auto-inflate function, so if I get bonked on the head going over the side, I know at least I'll wake up facing the right way up with my head high and dry. 

The first one I had saved my life on Erie about 8 years ago when we got caught in a bad storm and stuffed the boat into a wave at about 40 mph. I won't even leave the dock without one now. They're really light and comfortable, you don't even know you're wearing it.

9/24/20 @ 2:23 PM
mlures
PRO MEMBER User since 4/19/10

Been wearing one for years. Doesn't do much good to store them. We don't even know we have them on. One of the best investments I made.

9/24/20 @ 10:55 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Picked up my self-inflating life vest at Cabela's last night.  Tried it on, it fits! Read thru the instructions.  It said to "test" it out first before inserting the cartridge by manually inflating the vest.  So after finally figuring out how to get to the manual inflator (didn't realize the vest was velcroed all the way around) I inflated it.  No leaks this morning.  Now how to figure out how to get it back into the velcroed "package"!
9/23/20 @ 8:40 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I see a lot of the replies have bent towards wearing float suits.  I wear on on cold weather on water an ice, but they are not a life jacket.  I do however wear an inflatable all the time.  I've had inflatables that have the little aspirin that gets wet and inflates.  Yep had them inflate in compartments too, that stinks.  My new ones (I have 3) are made by Mustang.  I don't recall they might be called hydrostatic, not positive, but they inflate based on water pressure, not the aspirin that gets we and melts away.  Never had these accidently inflate.  They are spendy but worth it.

9/22/20 @ 3:29 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Actually inflatables are not a good option for really cold water <40*. When the water is that cold a conventional vest is your best protection. A permanently mounted boarding ladder is the best option of surviving an overboard fall. This is especially true if you are a senior citizen.

9/22/20 @ 9:38 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Let's talk about safety. Fishing in water in the low 40's, if you go overboard and can't climb up your motor and get back in the boat you have close to a half hour before you get so cold you pass out from exposure, (same thing when breaking thru ice fishing). Inflatables are a great warm weather option. I rarely fish alone but many do and it makes safety sense to have and wear a PFD of some kind. Having a throwable on board is a good idea even if one isn't required in smaller boats. Last summer a family friend goosed the throttle on his new motor and flipped himself out the back if his new outboard. The boat slowly idled in a big circle and he grabbed it and dragged himself back into the boat. No small feat for a seventy plus year old guy not wearing a life jacket.

9/19/20 @ 11:49 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Edge- You are 100% correct.

It’s like the people who put their life-jacket over the seat back and buckle it up. Do they think when they go overboard they will have the opportunity to get back in the boat and put it on before drowning?

9/19/20 @ 11:26 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Wouldn't a manual inflate be useless if you get thrown in the water and knocked unconscious?

9/19/20 @ 10:25 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

things to know... WI law on lifejackets:

• All vessels (including canoes, kayaks, and paddleboards) must have at least one USCG-approved Wearable life jacket for each person on board.   
  • All vessels 16 feet or more in length must have one USCG-approved Throwable personal flotation device on board that is immediately accessible.   
  • Every person on board a personal watercraft must wear a USCG-approved life jacket
  • Sailboards and windsurfers are exempt from life jacket requirement, but are highly encouraged to wear one.   
  • Federal law requires children under the age of 13 to wear a USCG-approved life jacket while underway in an open vessel on federally controlled waters.

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/Topic/Boat/LifeJackets

9/19/20 @ 9:19 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I purchased some boat junk from West Marine, so one day I get a mailer ad for 2 inflatables for 99 dollars. They were pull cord models and I bought them. Like Fish Hound said, they need to be worn to be legal if you get checked. Interesting story about the guy who almost suffocated because he had it on under a rain jacket when it went off. I checked mine by inflating it manually (yes, I read the directions), and I duct taped the floppy little pull handle out of the way to prevent a 25 dollar accidental inflation so I'm good to go. My fishing bud promptly bought the other one.

9/19/20 @ 9:17 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

One thing you must do when you buy an inflatable life jacket

Go try them on you're going to be wearing them all day

The most expensive one might be the most uncomfortable one to wear

I don't look at the price tag 

will I wear this all the time 

And not hanging on the back of my boat seat

9/18/20 @ 8:40 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

I purchased two from Bass Pro about five years ago. They were on sale for 80 bucks. I shopped all the brands including Mustang. I could not justify buying Mustang. I have been happy with my purchase. No problem wearing them even in hot weather. You hardly know you have them on. Fortunately, I have not experienced in inflation caused by being in the water. However, my son-in-law was wearing one and accidentally caused inflation. One of the choices you have to make is the pull cord. On mine, it hangs out the bottom. I'm sure it would be very available if you were in the water. On the other hand, it is easy to accidentally get hooked on something causing an inflation. I chose to add a piece of Velcro which keeps it inside. Yes I would have to struggle a little bit more to reach it if an accident occurred, but I think I could deliberately inflate when necessary. Remember to buy an adjustable one. The size you need while wearing a T-shirt on a summer day is very different than the size you need while wearing a lot of clothing.

9/17/20 @ 5:43 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

Eyson Slim PFD Life Jacket

I wear this fishing all the time it's very comfortable

It gives me plenty of room around your arms to cast 

9/17/20 @ 4:05 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

It’s your life, spend the $250 and get a Mustang H.I.T model. There is a reason all the Game Wardens wear them.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE