Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Inflatable Life Vest ?

1/9/16 @ 8:40 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Go-Fish
MEMBER since 3/17/02
Anybody wear an inflatable life vest while fishing? Like most people that I see on the water, I haven't put a life jacket on in over 50 years. They are too bulky and hot, but now that I have a titanium shoulder, I am pretty sure my swimming ability will not be what it once was.

I hear "Auto Inflate" life jackets inflate by themselves in hot weather or while in a hot storage compartment. "Manual Inflate" units solve that problem but if I am going to spend the bucks and I am wearing it for "Safety" I feel I should get one with all available "Safety" features.

Anybody using either of these ? Can anyone recommend a good one?

Mike

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 35 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 10:55 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Picked up my self-inflating life vest at Cabela's last night.  Tried it on, it fits! Read thru the instructions.  It said to "test" it out first before inserting the cartridge by manually inflating the vest.  So after finally figuring out how to get to the manual inflator (didn't realize the vest was velcroed all the way around) I inflated it.  No leaks this morning.  Now how to figure out how to get it back into the velcroed "package"!

9/23/20 @ 8:40 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

I see a lot of the replies have bent towards wearing float suits.  I wear on on cold weather on water an ice, but they are not a life jacket.  I do however wear an inflatable all the time.  I've had inflatables that have the little aspirin that gets wet and inflates.  Yep had them inflate in compartments too, that stinks.  My new ones (I have 3) are made by Mustang.  I don't recall they might be called hydrostatic, not positive, but they inflate based on water pressure, not the aspirin that gets we and melts away.  Never had these accidently inflate.  They are spendy but worth it.

9/22/20 @ 4:31 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04
striker ice fishing suit is more of a friend then life jacket in that cold water condition. 

9/22/20 @ 3:29 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

Actually inflatables are not a good option for really cold water <40*. When the water is that cold a conventional vest is your best protection. A permanently mounted boarding ladder is the best option of surviving an overboard fall. This is especially true if you are a senior citizen.

9/22/20 @ 9:38 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

Let's talk about safety. Fishing in water in the low 40's, if you go overboard and can't climb up your motor and get back in the boat you have close to a half hour before you get so cold you pass out from exposure, (same thing when breaking thru ice fishing). Inflatables are a great warm weather option. I rarely fish alone but many do and it makes safety sense to have and wear a PFD of some kind. Having a throwable on board is a good idea even if one isn't required in smaller boats. Last summer a family friend goosed the throttle on his new motor and flipped himself out the back if his new outboard. The boat slowly idled in a big circle and he grabbed it and dragged himself back into the boat. No small feat for a seventy plus year old guy not wearing a life jacket.

9/21/20 @ 3:04 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

manual ones are good if you are trying to meet regulatory or tournament rules but not truly worried about safety.  

9/21/20 @ 10:29 AM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

I wear a approved life vest as part of my equipment when taking my inflatable out fishing... It's smart...  Just accept it, deal with it, and after a while you learn to appreciate it... Best part I found myself looking for my vest... It's like anything else, set the drag, got your net, check your line, got your pliers, and sunglasses...

I suggest we all do the same with the UV Sunblock... I think I use mosquito repellent more even though I have both, a few of each, and hardly use them... Stupid... (yes, and ignorant) 

9/19/20 @ 11:49 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

Edge- You are 100% correct.

It’s like the people who put their life-jacket over the seat back and buckle it up. Do they think when they go overboard they will have the opportunity to get back in the boat and put it on before drowning?

9/19/20 @ 11:26 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Wouldn't a manual inflate be useless if you get thrown in the water and knocked unconscious?

9/19/20 @ 10:25 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

things to know... WI law on lifejackets:

• All vessels (including canoes, kayaks, and paddleboards) must have at least one USCG-approved Wearable life jacket for each person on board.   
  • All vessels 16 feet or more in length must have one USCG-approved Throwable personal flotation device on board that is immediately accessible.   
  • Every person on board a personal watercraft must wear a USCG-approved life jacket
  • Sailboards and windsurfers are exempt from life jacket requirement, but are highly encouraged to wear one.   
  • Federal law requires children under the age of 13 to wear a USCG-approved life jacket while underway in an open vessel on federally controlled waters.

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/Topic/Boat/LifeJackets

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 35 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.