SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

I want to catch a dogfish and a gar

3/2/21 @ 8:02 PM
INITIAL POST
PJL2112
User since 4/8/10

I've never caught a gar or a dogfish. I would like to add it to the list this summer. Where would be the best place to fish for them? Northeast Wisconsin is "local" for me and I'd prefer not to travel too far, but I'm not opposed to that either. I just want to catch one of each. 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
3/4/21 @ 9:09 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

As far as NE WI, I've caught them in boat lagoons and small weedy bays off of Green Bay.  Quite a few in Little Sturgeon, but I spent most of my time in that area too.  I'd think its all the same over there.

3/3/21 @ 11:41 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Never caught one before today and I got two on tip ups lol

These were on Partridge Lake, and have to imagine some Wolf River backwaters would have them too. 

3/3/21 @ 5:02 PM
toughontrout
User since 12/21/20

Hey PJL2112, right in your own backyard! We caught numerous dogfish last summer on the Duck Creek river and garfish are  in Shawano Lake. I'm sure you could also catch dogfish on Suamico & Oconto rovers.

3/3/21 @ 4:04 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

We get dog fish while bass fishing in Spooner area. Spinner bait works best as they cut off lures quickly. DO NOT put your finger in mouth, it's  like a vice gripe!!!

3/3/21 @ 1:43 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

When I lived in Stevens Point, a friend took me to the backwaters of the SP FLowage. He told me to clean out my tackle box of all of the dud lures that I had and bring them along. The dogfish were on their beds for the spawn. All you had to do was get a lure near them and they'd attack it. Shallow weeds were the ticket and I think it was late spring/early summer. Check to see when they spawn. They are very aggressive and a blast to catch.

3/3/21 @ 12:47 PM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01

Around 35 years ago when I lived in the Wausau area I used to target dogfish on purpose in the shallows of the Eau Claire Flowage. I used Tiny Torpedos and other small floating baits that could be twitched in the open pockets of the weed flats and up in the backwaters. It was always a little creepy when you would get them up in the boat and they would start barking, but they fought like beasts and the hits were explosive.

3/3/21 @ 12:33 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

Mid-summer Mississippi River backwaters are full of Long Nose and Short Nose Gar. I hard part is getting a hook to stick in that narrow beak. A piece of cut bait, with a short section of soft nylon rope that is frayed, will work very well. The cut bait will bring them in and the rope gets tangled in their teeth, so they will not fall off.

3/3/21 @ 11:30 AM
s.s esox
User since 12/22/14

Fish one of the flowages and in Late May Early June to catch Dog fish.  Jig and Minnow just like you are targeting Walleyes. We catch them on the Willow and Nokomis during this time frame. Catching Gars is a different animal I can't help you on that. Shoot them with your bow. 

3/3/21 @ 9:45 AM
Buydontselle
User since 6/10/17

I've actually started targeting bowfin rather specifically in the last couple of summers while fishing on the Mississippi. You want a fish to wake like a musky? Blow-up on frogs and work you in shallow water? Crush buzzbaits, and other similar top-water options. Bowfin are whatchu want to fish for then... 

I almost only use top-water frogs with metal/steal leaders and 30-40# powerpro on a biatcaster setup. 

I have no idea how you'd target them up north because they seem to live in rather specific chunks of habitat on the river. I'd go with hot day, shallow water and topping out weed. Not necessarily lily-pads or spadderdock though. Don't seem to target that type of floating vegetation as often it seems. 

3/3/21 @ 9:20 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Backwaters of Mississippi in summer you will run across them pretty regularly.  To be honest, they really are kind of a buzz kill for me when I catch them.  You think you have something great on and it's just a dogfish. 

3/3/21 @ 6:50 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01

These are fish usually caught by accident or they just get in the way when panfish are biting. 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE