SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Hummingbird Side Imaging-Is Is Worth the Extra Cost

1/4/17 @ 10:50 PM
INITIAL POST
mingus
User since 8/9/02

I currentlyhave a Hummingbird Locator, model 598 GPS with Down Imaging and Side Imaging on a color five inch screen.  I want to upgrade to a unit that has more current electronics and a bigger screen.  I have not found Side Imaging to be that useful when fishing.  My small screen does not do a good job of highlighting the sonar fish echoes.  Has anyone found Side Imaging to be helpful in putting more fish in the boat?  Is it worth the extra two or three hundred dollars on some of the higher end units?  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
6/4/20 @ 12:27 PM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

Side imaging allows you to see something of interest, drop a waypoint on it, then circle around and investigate.  That alone is priceless.  I have the 9" screen.  I have an older Bird I use for depth right next to it, so the Helix 9 is on SI full screen.   It does seem to like to consume a lot of juice, sometimes I run out of juice, I have it in it's own battery.  

6/4/20 @ 8:18 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

My first thought is to say, yah, 5 inch is too small to really see much on side imaging.  But....I have run 50/50 split screen on my 10 inch model and it clearly shows weedlines, rocks...etc.  Fish are a little harder to see, but you can move the cursor over the marks and then zoom in to figure them out.  So yah, it can probably work, but you need to be creative.  And for the money, get a bigger screen if you really want to get into it.

And I now run an 80/20 split screen.  80% to side imaging.  20% to down imaging or regular sonar.  

6/2/20 @ 5:30 PM
EZ
User since 7/3/01

I find that my 7 inch screen is a bit small for the side imaging function.  Should have gotten a 9 inch.  My two cents.

6/2/20 @ 10:59 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

A little late to the conversation, but I'm looking for a new unit in my range and am considering the Helix 5.  Is getting SI for a small screen like a Helix 5 even worth it?  Or is the image that small that it's really tough to distinguish anything? I'm lucky if I get out a dozen times over the course of a year, and it's mainly Winnebago or the Wolf. 

1/9/17 @ 10:29 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

It has a lot of functions.  I use it on deeper, weedline based lakes to find the weedlines and make sure my casts are going up into them.  It can also show you rock piles within those weeds, kind of spots on spots.

But, I've found it to be more useful the shallower you are, and the less weedy.  It can really show you little contours and fish when you are scanning in sand/rock.  Kind of nuts how that works.

So yah, for the money, get it then have someone who loves it show you how to use it correctly.  

1/8/17 @ 8:38 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02

I use it all the time and yes, it helps me catch more fish. I am primarily a bass fisherman though and I'm usually using it to pick apart structure, not necessarily find fish. Open water, I don't usually even have it on the screen but say I find a stump field or a series of rock piles, then yep I'm watching closely. Whether its worth the extra money is pretty subjective and really depends on how, where and what you fish for. 

1/8/17 @ 4:08 PM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01

It can also find the boat landing,LOL.

1/8/17 @ 3:44 PM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01

Side imaging may,or may not be for you.

For me,side imaging is very important,as is sonar.

I fish Canadian shield lakes that have not been mapped out. So I find structure,I usually find fish.

I also use side Imaging to help find/keep on a break line,a transition or a weed edge.

You must understand what you are seeing.

so yes,I think it is worth it.

Hummingbird Side Imaging-Is Is Worth the Extra Cost photo by fishhook
1/7/17 @ 7:12 PM
mattg589
mattg589
User since 2/27/05
If you take the time to learn how to utilize side imagining to the most of it's ability it probably will help you catch more fish. When a lot of pros are prefishing for tournaments, I know a good majority of the time is spent scanning and just trying to find areas or structure that will hold fish. 
1/6/17 @ 10:25 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

If your fishing structure or rivers than ok. Fishing open waters I find it a waste of time. I hardly u se mine but some guys swear by it. To each is own but if your on a budget I wouldn't 

1/6/17 @ 3:39 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I have it,  I kinda agree with Cold Front as well.  I fish bago a ton,  i'd love to make it work for me but i've yet to say "that helped me fill the livewell".  

On the wolf however,  i've actually found fish in structure with it.  Walleye's and catfish.  I've marked whitebass in piers etc.  On bago however,  it's yet to help me identify fish on a contour and put more in the boat.  

If i could do it over again,  i'd buy Lowrance.  I'm not really happy with my H-bird 999.  i'd spend the xtra money on screen size next time around.  For my style of fishing and lake i fish...it's not a game changer.

Only thing on the lake itself i found helpful was finding deep rock and transition lines for perch.  Really about it.

1/6/17 @ 9:46 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I think it depends on where you fish. If you are fishing a dishpan type lake that the fish do not relate closely to structure, they are of limited value. If you are fishing structure or weed lines they are very good. I have not had much luck using one on Winnebago. Others may have different opinions but all I have used it for with any success on Winnebago is for finding the transition lines. Mrt.

1/6/17 @ 9:14 AM
stl ken
User since 2/22/10

I agree with yoder, I use mine all the time.  Had the 5" on my last boat and it worked great, just was difficult to see. Went with the 8" on my current boat and is much easier to see. Also having it mounted higher on console above steering wheel works best for me. 

1/5/17 @ 8:49 PM
yoder82
yoder82
User since 9/28/12

I have two 1199 side imaging units on my boat one at the counsel and one at the bow. Couldn't imagine fishing without them. I primarily use them when fishing deep structure or fishing in deeper water. Mine are set to see out 125 feet to the sides of the boat and it is amazing what I would miss with a normal down imaging or 2d sonar. In my eyes totally worth it. Maybe look into like the 899or 999 side imaging. Some of the helixs have side imaging also for a little cheaper.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE