MORE
General Fishing Discussion

How to keep line from getting tangled when casting a slip bobber

5/21/13 @ 1:44 PM
INITIAL POST
BoatFever
BoatFever
User since 10/7/07
This weekend I was fishing with a slip float and short casts were OK, but 95% of the time if I cast out a bit farther, the line would end up in some seemingly impossible triple overhand double backed tangled mess of a knot. It's a pretty basic setup. Above the barrel swivel is the bobber, the bead and the stop. Just under the swivel I have two split shot right next to each other. About a foot of line and then a #6 aberdeen hook. I tried casting differently to no avail. Has anyone found a solution to this? Would moving one of the sinkers closer to the hook help? Thanks, BF
Displaying 16 to 29 of 29 posts
5/23/13 @ 9:38 AM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
yes panfisher, I've used em, not a fan although they aren't bad (just not my preference), I primarily use slips on Lake Michigan, and the depths and often current I face still often require (sometimes significant) weight below the float so the bait is presented properly. If your fishing any kind of depth, weights not only get and keep you in position, but also make it easy for me to see a fish that eats and comes up with the bait or just sits there. I often use enough weight that the slip bobber is barely floating, even occasionally hovering just under the water's surface....when this is done your bobber is now super-sensitive to any and everything and the weight of that bobber is virtually undetectable to the fish (I also spread the weights out, biggest on top to smallest on bottom nearest the hook for this exact reason). There's a reason I catch as many trout and salmon on a slip bobber as I do, while I watch others who "think" they are doing the same thing as me get frustrated. Smile And I agree that a longer rod will make your presentation not only easier for you, but much more effective. Its tough to move line with a hookset with a 5'6" rod unless you're close to the fish and not casting very far.
5/23/13 @ 8:44 AM
fillet-o-carp
fillet-o-carp
User since 12/1/12
i only use a bobber with brass grommet on top and just a jig with a bead on line in between the jig and bobber . never get tangled cause the jig and bobber are touching each other and you can cast it really hard and far. here is the riggin----put on a line stop then a bead then a weighted slip with brass grommet top then another bead then jig and bait. the brass grommet top bobbers are a must as they let the line slide thru like nothing. i never have any problems . i fish in 13-20 fow on my fav reef
5/23/13 @ 8:05 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02
5'6" is a really short rod. You'll have an easier time with a 7' or 8' rod.
5/23/13 @ 8:01 AM
wipanfisher
User since 12/12/12
Denesox have you ever tryed a rocket bobber? You don't need any weight at all!! They lay flat and stand up when bit. I use little ice jigs or just a hook and minnow no weight at all. Try them and u will know.
5/22/13 @ 6:11 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Sinkers are not added to add weight so you can cast...lol Sinkers are added to counterbalance the buoyancy of the float making the float more sensitive to react, as well as making it more difficult for the fish to feel the float and keeping line vertical and in position.
5/22/13 @ 5:49 PM
wipanfisher
User since 12/12/12
Rocket bobbers they are weighted u wont need a sinker at all and can cast them a mile. You can set them up as slip bobber or stationary only bobber ill ever use anymore!
5/22/13 @ 12:20 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
Lose the barrel swivel place split shot 8-10 inches above hook you shouldn't have any issues and posted below watch it in the air and use your finger to slow the line down just before it hits the water it will cause the hook to gently swing out in a straight line in front of the bobber and a long side ARM cast helps as well
5/21/13 @ 10:45 PM
BoatFever
BoatFever
User since 10/7/07
Just to answer a few questions about my setup, I use the Thill weighted slip bobber with the brass gromet. Pretty good size bobber, which is why I put two large split shot on it to balance it properly. I like it this way because it helps it set up quickly in deeper water. The two split shot are tight up against each other, so I'm thinking the center of gravity wouldn't make it behave much different than if I just put one double-size split shot on. I could see if they were maybe six to ten inches apart, but they're both butted right up against the swivel. I'm using a 5'6" light rod with this rig and maybe this particular time I was just trying to cast it too hard because the bite seemed to be "way over there" instead of a comfortable distance where I could just lob it over. I like the idea of a jig instead of a hook because it might help "lead" the minnow instead of trailing behind. I'll have to do some experimenting. I love bobber fishing, but the long casts continue to be a pain. I will try some of the suggestions and report back.
5/21/13 @ 6:17 PM
Dean Elmer
Dean Elmer
User since 7/2/01
Little trick to tangle free is to stop the line at the rod just before the rig hits the water. This will keep it straight as it hits the water.
5/21/13 @ 3:39 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
I use slip bobbers all the time and I very rarely get tangled. Just use one split shot of the appropriate weight that you need. Depending on how deep I'm fishing I place the split shot anywhere from about 8-24 inches up the line from the hook.
5/21/13 @ 3:18 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
how long is the rod you are using? Longer rods make it a TON easier. Make sure everything is vertical at the start of the cast and lob it smoothly...the line should stay straight the entire cast....does not matter how many splits you use if you cast correctly. When I fish slips I use long ultra-light rods and many (sometimes as many as 10) splits...as many as it takes to counterbalance the float I am using. I have no problem casting as far as I want.
5/21/13 @ 2:55 PM
CazTrait
CazTrait
User since 6/15/01
Like said, go with one split shot vs. two. Maybe want to try a 1/32 or 1/64 oz jig head instead of a hook? Lob cast, like surf fishing, feather line at the spool with off hand. What type of slips are you using? I like the Thill pro series with the brass grommet. Fresh line on your reels or old, faded, twisted line? And you're using mono I presume?
5/21/13 @ 2:08 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I think I get what you mean, the worm or minnow wraps around everything when you cast. I can't say it happens to me very often, less than once a trip if I had to guess. I like to use just one split shot though, doubling them up usually causes issues for me. Not sure if that would solve the issue, but it wouldn't hurt I don't think. Then I usually give them a gentle toss. If I whip one out I further, when it hits the water I pull it in a few feet to straighten things out. In reality, when the sinker and minnow go down, they are probably all in line since the sinker is going to sink first and the minnow is being pulled along above it. I have more issues with that than the initial cast.
Displaying 16 to 29 of 29 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE