LOGIN
Lake-Link

How to keep line from getting tangled when casting a slip bobber

5/21/13 @ 1:44 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BoatFever
BoatFever
User since 10/7/07
This weekend I was fishing with a slip float and short casts were OK, but 95% of the time if I cast out a bit farther, the line would end up in some seemingly impossible triple overhand double backed tangled mess of a knot. It's a pretty basic setup. Above the barrel swivel is the bobber, the bead and the stop. Just under the swivel I have two split shot right next to each other. About a foot of line and then a #6 aberdeen hook.

I tried casting differently to no avail. Has anyone found a solution to this? Would moving one of the sinkers closer to the hook help?

Thanks, BF

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 34 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/17/20 @ 8:13 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

"Little trick to tangle free is to stop the line at the rod just before the rig hits the water. This will keep it  straight  as it hits the water."

That's from Deano, guide on the Chip... same thing my Dad taught me, and it works for throwing lures that tend to tangle as well

so stop the line just before the lure or bobber assembly lands and it all straightens out, this is about as close to 100% effective I know of

I see nemab-man says essentially the same thing

8/4/20 @ 5:33 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I’ve been thinking about this and think that the lighter your hook and bait are, the higher probability for a tangle. If it’s real light, the sinker and bobber will get ahead of it on cast. I’m not a scientist so could be way off the bobber! 

8/3/20 @ 3:44 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I think you guys just have to learn how to cast.   this is just like fly casting if you get a tailing loop, it will tangle.  You need to "swing" the rig out, not snap cast it like a stand alone jig.    I also believe that more weight and a larger float will pull the line better than a lighter setup.  So if fishing deeper water, dont be a afraid to load it up on split shot.  Key is balance with float...not overall weight.     

8/2/20 @ 11:07 PM
betterthanwork09
betterthanwork09
User since 8/28/15

Never really had a problem with tangles on my slip bobber rig before but I had been following this post for the last couple weeks trying to learn something new. Headed out this weekend confident in trying things and my darn jig head kept flipping upside down and getting caught on the line right above it, wondering what would cause it to do that?

7/31/20 @ 11:31 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

OK. Last time out, I had much fewer tangles. The only thing I did differently was to reel up more line, having the bobber just 6" or so from the rod tip when I make a cast. I don't know why, but this seems to help a lot. I probably only had 5-6 tangles in 3 hours fishing. Next, I'm gonna swap out the Aberdeen hook for a jighead. Might help even more.

7/26/20 @ 8:09 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
User since 1/12/05

I'll just chime in. I use slip bobbers for walleye fishing in deep water. Simple is best. First, I would lose the swivel unles you really think it's needed for the gills. I would also use bobbers with the bead built into the top of the bobber. On some you can glue a bead on if you have to. For a plain hook I run a tiny split about a foot above the hook and then a larger split about a foot above that. For jigs (w/leach or 1/2 crawler) I just use a tiny split about a foot above the jig. With the right size bobber, jig, and splits my bobbers are 80% under water but still visible from afar. I think the trick might be to have the rigging below the bobber outweigh the bobber itself. On a lot of my casts the baits are already pulling away from the bobber when the stuff hits the water.

7/23/20 @ 9:20 AM
fishon909
fishon909
User since 1/17/13

I take a small bullet sinker and cut it in half and put that above my swivel. So I have knot, bead, bobber, sinker, barrel swivel, leader to the jig or hook. Seems to work pretty good and I very rarely have tangles.

7/22/20 @ 10:25 AM
Sheboygan
Sheboygan
User since 5/7/05

Separate your split shots about 1 foot apart and your problem is solved. The line below the slip bobber will helicopter rather than trail your bobber when you cast.

7/21/20 @ 7:09 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I would try a heavier sinker and put it a little closer to hook than you currently do. I personally don’t have this problem but maybe every 100 casts. I use heavier sinker for longer casts and more control. I don’t catch any less fish than anyone else using lighter sinker. They may tell you this but they probably never did it any other way than how they do it now. IMO

7/21/20 @ 5:58 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

try using a shorter ultra light rod...all my slip bobber rigs (4# test) are on either 5' or 5'6" rods...my accuracy is better and never get tangled....you already have the weight of the bobber/wt. if used...really don't need a buggy whip to launch that..use the 7' or 7'6" rods for dipping and dunking in tree limbs....matter of fact my go to rod...using just a mini-mite (no extra weight) and crappie nibble is a 5' ultra light...flick of the wrist and it sails accurately....last 5 times out I took 4 rods and that one is the only one I used...but if you are vertical jigging those long rods are awesome too...fishing deep water (15-20 ft./structure/fish cribs) bait/mini-mite small split shot straight down..smallest take and those buggy whips bend.....just my opinion, everybody has one.....

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 34 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.