MORE
General Fishing Discussion

How to keep line from getting tangled when casting a slip bobber

5/21/13 @ 1:44 PM
INITIAL POST
BoatFever
BoatFever
User since 10/7/07
This weekend I was fishing with a slip float and short casts were OK, but 95% of the time if I cast out a bit farther, the line would end up in some seemingly impossible triple overhand double backed tangled mess of a knot. It's a pretty basic setup. Above the barrel swivel is the bobber, the bead and the stop. Just under the swivel I have two split shot right next to each other. About a foot of line and then a #6 aberdeen hook. I tried casting differently to no avail. Has anyone found a solution to this? Would moving one of the sinkers closer to the hook help? Thanks, BF
Displaying 1 to 15 of 29 posts
8/17/20 @ 8:13 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

"Little trick to tangle free is to stop the line at the rod just before the rig hits the water. This will keep it  straight  as it hits the water."

That's from Deano, guide on the Chip... same thing my Dad taught me, and it works for throwing lures that tend to tangle as well

so stop the line just before the lure or bobber assembly lands and it all straightens out, this is about as close to 100% effective I know of

I see nemab-man says essentially the same thing

8/2/20 @ 11:07 PM
betterthanwork09
betterthanwork09
User since 8/28/15

Never really had a problem with tangles on my slip bobber rig before but I had been following this post for the last couple weeks trying to learn something new. Headed out this weekend confident in trying things and my darn jig head kept flipping upside down and getting caught on the line right above it, wondering what would cause it to do that?

7/31/20 @ 11:31 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

OK. Last time out, I had much fewer tangles. The only thing I did differently was to reel up more line, having the bobber just 6" or so from the rod tip when I make a cast. I don't know why, but this seems to help a lot. I probably only had 5-6 tangles in 3 hours fishing. Next, I'm gonna swap out the Aberdeen hook for a jighead. Might help even more.

7/23/20 @ 9:20 AM
fishon909
fishon909
User since 1/17/13

I take a small bullet sinker and cut it in half and put that above my swivel. So I have knot, bead, bobber, sinker, barrel swivel, leader to the jig or hook. Seems to work pretty good and I very rarely have tangles.

7/22/20 @ 10:25 AM
Sheboygan
Sheboygan
User since 5/7/05

Separate your split shots about 1 foot apart and your problem is solved. The line below the slip bobber will helicopter rather than trail your bobber when you cast.

7/21/20 @ 5:58 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

try using a shorter ultra light rod...all my slip bobber rigs (4# test) are on either 5' or 5'6" rods...my accuracy is better and never get tangled....you already have the weight of the bobber/wt. if used...really don't need a buggy whip to launch that..use the 7' or 7'6" rods for dipping and dunking in tree limbs....matter of fact my go to rod...using just a mini-mite (no extra weight) and crappie nibble is a 5' ultra light...flick of the wrist and it sails accurately....last 5 times out I took 4 rods and that one is the only one I used...but if you are vertical jigging those long rods are awesome too...fishing deep water (15-20 ft./structure/fish cribs) bait/mini-mite small split shot straight down..smallest take and those buggy whips bend.....just my opinion, everybody has one.....

7/21/20 @ 10:55 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I do quite a bit of slip bobber fishing. I seldom have tangle ups, when I do it is usually wind related. When I cast out I slow the line just before it hits the water to keep the hook and slit shot away from the bobber. Once the rig hits the water the bobber will lay flat and you can see the line feeding through the slip bobber until it stands up. Stay away from weighted floats. I use Berkeley XL 4 lb or 6 lb on my slip bobber poles. 

7/21/20 @ 9:48 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

OK. I will elaborate. When I make a cast, and this happens around 3-4 out of 5 casts, the leader line (around 15") will get caught between the float bead and the float. This happens no matter how I cast, the vast majority of the time. I'm using 6# Trilene all of the way, and a 1/8 oz worm weight below the float. I also use a #6 Aberdeen hook. When the float is upright, only the top 1/3rd of the float is showing. I've tried adding extra weight to make it sit lower in the surface film, and this has absolutely no bearing at all on my casting. I use a 7' UL rod that is highly recommended for slip floats. Prior to picking up these rods, I used my St Croix Avids which are also 7' UL. Same result. Tried 4# Trilene and it got worse. I have a friend that uses the exact same set-up, and rarely gets tangled. It has to be the mechanics of my cast I would have to assume. Very frustrating to say the least. I do tend to have around 4 to 5 feet of line above the float hanging when I cast. Perhaps reeling the float up closer to the tip top would help?? Thank God the drop shot works so well or I would not catch very many gills in deeper water.

7/21/20 @ 7:56 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

If you’re having trouble with tangled line when using a slip bobber you don’t have the setup balanced correctly.

There’s a reason why they make different size and shapes of bobbers. The correct bobber will barely stay afloat when it’s balanced. You may  have to add a small weight to your line to achieve the balance. Each new presentation should be tested next to the boat or pier prior to making your first cast.

7/21/20 @ 7:40 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

Try this: When your slip bobber and tackle hit the water reel back a couple of turns to straighten the line and rigged tackle. Then it will sink without tangling.

7/21/20 @ 1:37 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

OK. I've used the weighted Thill Pro series floats (7/8 in.) on 3 trips now. I can safely say I have had more tangles than ever when casting. I am at my wits end. My last resort is to use a jig instead of the Aberdeen hook I am so fond of when pan-fishing. I am surprised there are not more people complaining about this problem.

7/9/20 @ 1:14 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Boatfever, I have the same thing happen to me when making a long cast, or casting into the wind. I use the Thill Pro series floats with the brass grommet (I add an additional brass grommet to the bottom also). I am trying the weighted floats to see if there is any difference. A friend of mine uses the weighted ones, and never gets knots. Years ago I fished this rig with no swivel, but realized that the bluegills I was catching were putting a lot of twist into my line with the corkscrewing they do on the way into the boat. I was having to replace my line constantly. I'll post back with my results on the next gill trip.

5/24/13 @ 7:58 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
For the sake of convenience I take the lid off the back of my toilet and match the jig weight to the float there (not the bowl). Sometimes I like to use small spoons with a float.
5/23/13 @ 11:04 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I agree with what denesox is saying, sounds like what I do. I was actually testing out some bobbers in a 5 gallon pail of water last night to get the proper sinker size.
5/23/13 @ 10:01 AM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
I will add, that if your float is laying on its side, its not rigged properly. A slip float should never be on its side. On its side, you are only going to be able to detect a fish that bites and runs or dives. A bite that sits motionless or rises after contact with your bait will not even cause your float to twitch...you'll never be able to detect those bites unless you can actually see the bite, and if your fishing that shallow, your bobber sensitivity is irrelevant as you are reacting to what you see the fish do, not what you see the float do.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 29 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE