Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

How many is too many?

6/26/20 @ 10:11 PM
ORIGNAL POST
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I tend to overpack when it comes to fishing equipment lol. I'd rather have and not need than need (want, anyway) and not have. Headed to Boulder Junction tomorrow and have to laugh at what I'm bringing with. 11 rods, 12 reels. For three of us. For a week lol. But I can justify every single one of them.

How many do you bring with on vacation? Or even a single outing? Just wondering if there are others like me lol

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/25/20 @ 4:28 PM
Buckman
MEMBER since 6/17/01

I usually have 9 rods in the boat. 4 baitcasters, 4 spinning, and my 10’ panfish rod. When I pond fish I bring 4-6 rods. I don’t carry a lot of tackle. Just a bottle of water and a pair of needle nose pliers. Maybe some crawlers if panfishing. I hate to retie unless necessary. I have condensed down to one large tackle bag in the last year. Mainly because I did a camping trip on Lake Powell in Arizon/Utah last year. I flew to meet my buddies in Phoenix so I only brought 4 reels and put them on their spare rods. I didn’t have a good traveling rod case and didn’t want to pay extra luggage fee. I still brought WAY to much tackle, but will likely always have more than I need!

7/9/20 @ 12:15 PM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

There is never too many.  On trips to Canada my son and I each take 2 spinning and 1 casting rig.  We had an event where trying to outrun a storm in a 16 ft rental i had the boat bouncing against 2 footers.  Looked ahead to see my 14 year old son airborne ahead of the front seat.  He came down in the front section and landed on two spinning rigs that were stretched from front bench to bow.  He broke both.  We were now down to 2 spinning rigs for 4 more days of fishing.  Needless to say we were super careful with those 2 rods.  I now bring 1 extra spinning rod (ugly stick) without reel just in case.  We usually never need to set it up but it is available.

7/9/20 @ 9:21 AM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

I used telescopic, even traveled with those, but like you I'm after larger fish, no matter what the species...

They all broke like toothpicks... (tips)

Never again...  Unless Ugly Sick comes out with one, I'll stick with a two piece and fly with that... 

7/9/20 @ 8:43 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Well, as I pretty much suspected all but one rod got used over the course of the week, and that was my musky outfit, which stands to reason as I rarely musky fish lol. Good thing too with water temps in the 80s and knowing my luck that's when I'd get my first, it'd be sub-legal, and would die. 

Did have a few times when I cursed myself for not having another couple spinning set ups to dedicate to strictly bobbers, but I took care of that the other night when I bought a couple more rods. Now it's a matter of swapping reels and getting a few more of those lol

7/4/20 @ 4:40 PM
nemab-man
User since 7/5/11

In WI you ain't allowed to have more than three baits in the water so I only carry three rods, two spinning outfits with 10# mono and a 20# "meat stick" rod built on a converted pool cue. I mostly only use two rods at a time.  One 10# spin for casting a lure, and either a 10# rod with a #8 hook and piece of worm for catching  bait, or the meat stick with a 5/0 circle hook and bait. I used to use 6# mono instead of 10# but with the zebra mussels things have changed.

7/1/20 @ 7:22 AM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

If I go to fish a certain spot locally or out of state...

Unless I'm fishing two rods, I'll bring just one and 5 extra lures in a small box or Ziploc bag (to not get stuck) an assortment of smaller lures and maybe a few larger ones... 

Trick is not to forget the important stuff... Bug spray, sun block, shades, hat, camera, (phone) license, needle nose, tape measure, stringer, basket, snaps, leaders, waders, sharpener, net, headlamp... (if night fishing)

CAR KEYS!! Lol knock on wood haha 

You know nail clippers become essential as we age, and I still cut my line with my teeth... Lol haha

There are times I had to cannibalize other lures for hooks on the fly too...

6/30/20 @ 7:37 AM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

Too many LOL!?!  You've got your musky rods, your pike/bass/walleye rods and your panfish rods.  You've got your musky tackle boxes (3), your pike/bass/walleye tackle boxes (2) and your panfish tackle box.  Plus the boat has 12 plastic trays located throughout that never come out.  Now if the sons come along, just about triple the musky tackle.  

6/29/20 @ 5:34 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Had to laugh when I first read this. The first time I went to Canada with my pops, I brought 14 rods, 3 tackle boxes and a tote with planer boards, spinner rigs, bottom bouncers, extra line, you name it, it was in there. The guys in the cabin next to us at AML grabbed a beer and a lawn chair to watch me unload the truck. In the end, dad and I used two rods and a handful of jigs. I now have a private place to go to up in NW Ontario that is owned by family. I bring two rods, one as a spare, and a small box full of 1/8 and 1/4 jigs. And maybe a bag or two of plastics.

6/29/20 @ 3:23 PM
Cat Man J.J.
User since 5/9/03

The last time I packed 12 rod and reel combos and when I was going to put the twelve one in the vehicle my then wife said if I put one more in she was filing for divorce. We've been divorced almost five years now and I can go fishing whenever I want and bring all the rods and reels with.

6/29/20 @ 1:24 PM
MONKEYZDRUNK1
User since 9/15/10

MuskyManiac5 ... that's great...so spot on. There is never such a thing as "too much" bring the whole arsenal sometimes you just have to, because of certain scenarios. I bring everything I can, when I go with my boys ...(aka..Tangle and Snagged Again) you have to have a backup and a backup to the backup. This summer has been the let's learn our new baitcasters.....so many bird nests...oh so so many... I could of opened my own Aviary but they have it down now, but you have to be ready for anything.... Gear Up!!!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.