Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

How many is too many?

6/26/20 @ 10:11 PM
ORIGNAL POST
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I tend to overpack when it comes to fishing equipment lol. I'd rather have and not need than need (want, anyway) and not have. Headed to Boulder Junction tomorrow and have to laugh at what I'm bringing with. 11 rods, 12 reels. For three of us. For a week lol. But I can justify every single one of them.

How many do you bring with on vacation? Or even a single outing? Just wondering if there are others like me lol

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/4/20 @ 4:40 PM
nemab-man
User since 7/5/11

In WI you ain't allowed to have more than three baits in the water so I only carry three rods, two spinning outfits with 10# mono and a 20# "meat stick" rod built on a converted pool cue. I mostly only use two rods at a time.  One 10# spin for casting a lure, and either a 10# rod with a #8 hook and piece of worm for catching  bait, or the meat stick with a 5/0 circle hook and bait. I used to use 6# mono instead of 10# but with the zebra mussels things have changed.

7/1/20 @ 7:22 AM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

If I go to fish a certain spot locally or out of state...

Unless I'm fishing two rods, I'll bring just one and 5 extra lures in a small box or Ziploc bag (to not get stuck) an assortment of smaller lures and maybe a few larger ones... 

Trick is not to forget the important stuff... Bug spray, sun block, shades, hat, camera, (phone) license, needle nose, tape measure, stringer, basket, snaps, leaders, waders, sharpener, net, headlamp... (if night fishing)

CAR KEYS!! Lol knock on wood haha 

You know nail clippers become essential as we age, and I still cut my line with my teeth... Lol haha

There are times I had to cannibalize other lures for hooks on the fly too...

6/30/20 @ 7:37 AM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

Too many LOL!?!  You've got your musky rods, your pike/bass/walleye rods and your panfish rods.  You've got your musky tackle boxes (3), your pike/bass/walleye tackle boxes (2) and your panfish tackle box.  Plus the boat has 12 plastic trays located throughout that never come out.  Now if the sons come along, just about triple the musky tackle.  

6/29/20 @ 5:34 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Had to laugh when I first read this. The first time I went to Canada with my pops, I brought 14 rods, 3 tackle boxes and a tote with planer boards, spinner rigs, bottom bouncers, extra line, you name it, it was in there. The guys in the cabin next to us at AML grabbed a beer and a lawn chair to watch me unload the truck. In the end, dad and I used two rods and a handful of jigs. I now have a private place to go to up in NW Ontario that is owned by family. I bring two rods, one as a spare, and a small box full of 1/8 and 1/4 jigs. And maybe a bag or two of plastics.

6/29/20 @ 3:23 PM
Cat Man J.J.
User since 5/9/03

The last time I packed 12 rod and reel combos and when I was going to put the twelve one in the vehicle my then wife said if I put one more in she was filing for divorce. We've been divorced almost five years now and I can go fishing whenever I want and bring all the rods and reels with.

6/29/20 @ 1:24 PM
MONKEYZDRUNK1
MEMBER since 9/15/10

MuskyManiac5 ... that's great...so spot on. There is never such a thing as "too much" bring the whole arsenal sometimes you just have to, because of certain scenarios. I bring everything I can, when I go with my boys ...(aka..Tangle and Snagged Again) you have to have a backup and a backup to the backup. This summer has been the let's learn our new baitcasters.....so many bird nests...oh so so many... I could of opened my own Aviary but they have it down now, but you have to be ready for anything.... Gear Up!!!

6/29/20 @ 8:17 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

if you get to point they are getting tangled and broken because they take up too much space, that is when it is too many.   if I am taking my boat with my rod lockers, I would not hesitate to bring 16 rods.  if i am going in a canadian shield rental or someone else's boat i would try and focus on 3 for the outing.  I might keep more in the cabin for other tactics, but I would have to be focused when heading out (so decide at dock if musky fishing or walleye fishing). 

6/29/20 @ 8:12 AM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
User since 4/20/07

When I go up north I bring my arsenal!  4 Musky rods, 4 spinning, 1 casting, 6 ultralights, 2 musky boxes, and my general box. Not to mention, various boxes that include jars of bait and plastics, and 3 nets.  

Oh, and my wife too.

6/29/20 @ 6:42 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

When I fish out of my boat I have 5 bait casters, 3 spinning rods, 3 ultra lights, and my 10' panfish rod for fishing downed trees. Seems like a lot but each one has its purpose. I fish the Mississippi river so the type of water I fish constantly changes and I hate re-tying different lures all the time. If I am bass fishing within a small stretch I could use all 5 baitcasters and one spinning rod because the conditions change so much. 

If I was going to northern wisconsin for a week and couldn't bring my boat I would take 2 baitcasters (one for cranks and one for musky if needed), 2 ML spinning rod (one for a jig and one for small crank or popper), 1 ultra light for panfish.

6/28/20 @ 1:45 PM
MLL24
User since 4/16/16

R+1 (where R = the number of rods/combos you currently have)

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.