MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Fort Myers Florida

8/16/15 @ 11:33 AM
INITIAL POST
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09
I will be going to Fort Myers this January to visit, but there is way too much water down there to not have a go at saltwater fishing. I was just wondering if anyone has been South and fished off shore or from the piers? I would like to set up some gear and leave it down there so I have it for future trips.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
2/4/20 @ 11:36 AM
A5¢
A5¢

When I go back to Florida, I want to do more surf fishing. I don't have a species to target, I just like fishing! I would like to learn more about Pompano fishing, as that is one that I have not tried to catch. Permit is another one.

1/19/20 @ 4:24 PM
Muskybill1
User since 6/26/01

There is a Bass Pro Shop 5 minutes from the Ft Myers airport, they can get you set up with the proper equipment and give you some fishing insights.  There are also smaller fishing stores from Naples to Ft. Myers who are very helpful.  

1/16/20 @ 11:39 AM
A5¢
A5¢

Fish oil. Just to let you know what Bokeelia looks like, go to their web cam. I use it to check wind and weather. And just to daydream!!

1/12/20 @ 1:53 PM
A5¢
A5¢

The Goofy jigs have been used infresh water for a long time. They just added the teaser for flash. I bought the mold, so I pour my own. I also tie flies, so the teasers are nothing more than a P-Nut fly, that I use for Coho Salmon. A 20# florocarbon leader is good to use. A teaser can be tied about a foot above the Goofy jig.

The Goofy jig is useless for Sheepshead. They eat crustations. Fiddler crabs, shrimp etc. A drop shot rig is a good rig. Size #1 octopus hooks. You cannot use trebles for Sheepies.

I have fished the Bokeelia pier many times. They have rods, and bait on the pier. Tell the attendant that you are new to saltwater fishing and they will help you out. Generally, the Northwest corner is best, but not always. There are"regulars" out there. Watch them closely. They will help you out, if asked nicely. 

The Gotcha plug is handy for Snook, Trout and Spanish Mackerel. There is so much to learn. If you stop at a bait shop, buy a Sibiki rig. It's only a couple of bucks, but if the fishing is tough, you can catch bait fish...Greenbacks, Pinfish, Glass minnows... 

You can pack a fillet knike in your checked bags, to clean your catch, or cut bait. Bring a couple of gallon baggies to get your catch home to cook.

I have not hired a charter, yet. But I will. I have been going to Capt' Rob's bait shop. Rob and Rich are very helpful. Rob is from Michigan.

1/12/20 @ 1:14 PM
Fishoil
User since 6/18/01

Those Goofy Jigs look like they'd be good around here in the rivers for walleyes and white bass, I'll have to bring some home with me. I spoke to the folks at Bokeelia fishing pier and it sounds like they'll be able to set me up with rods and I would assume tackle and bait. Do you know anything about them? Good place to fish? They said sheepshead and trout would be what we'd be catching. They recommended Maxed Out Charters for getting out on the water. Do you know anything about their operation or any other charters? Thanks again for the help!

1/11/20 @ 6:56 PM
A5¢
A5¢

Chrome and gold Kastmasters, the smallest I would use is 1ounce. The luresi have pictures of, are Doc's Goofy jigs. I make mine because I am cheap! Another one is called a Gotcha plug. Chrome with an orange head, up to 1 ounce.

Do NOT retrieve any of these with a straight retrieve. It's a jerky, twitchy retrieve that will get fish. Another method, with the Goofy jigs, is to put a chunk of shrimp on, cast, let sink to the bottom, and twitch it along the bottom. Shrimp down south, is like nightcrawlers up here. Everything eats it.. almost.

I call fill you in with all sorts of things. 715-570-8718

1/11/20 @ 6:35 PM
Fishoil
User since 6/18/01

I'm going to be in Cape Coral at the end of next month visiting an old friend and plan on doing as much fishing as possible. I'd like to do an offshore trip, some pier fishing, and maybe an nearshore trip. I won't be able to bring rods along so we will have to rent them at whatever pier we fish but can probably find some room in my suitcase for tackle. I know pretty much nothing about fishing down there so could use any help you can give me. Are there any charters or fishing piers you'd recommend? What tackle would you suggest I stuff in my suitcase for pier fishing? I have almost no experience saltwater fishing so I'm open to fishing for pretty much anything that swims.

1/9/20 @ 4:37 PM
A5¢
A5¢

Thank you so much for the recipe. I will give that a try the next time I get down there. I know the Red Tide made a mess of things, but they will come back. I have to recertify for shore shark fishing before I return also. 

I was on the ice after a severe cold snap and it made the Walleyes sit tight and not move at all. I only marked six fish. That's just the way it is!

12/22/19 @ 1:21 PM
A5¢
A5¢

I know! And I found out that they hit like White Bass! You just need to crank 'em in before Flipper eats it off your line. I made up a few jigs to try when I go back this spring. I used a swimming jig mold to make Doc's Goofy jigs, tied up some Coho peanut flies and colored the jigs with powder paint. I also have a few new tricks for those Sheepshead ??

12/22/19 @ 1:09 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

A5.     that there Spanish mackerel is one of the best eating fish that there is.  Much prefer it over AHI tuna which is wayyyy overated. CARPIO 

12/22/19 @ 12:31 PM
A5¢
A5¢

Well, I've made a few trips to Fort Myers and I figured out they have my favorite kind of fish. The dumb ones! I have traveled to the North to Nokomis to fish the jetties. 

Has anyone else been saltwater fishing the Gulf?

2/1/16 @ 11:17 AM
A5¢
A5¢
Well, I 'm back from my first Gulf fishing trip. The weather was not what Florida's license plates claim, but a little rain didn't stop me from fishing. I took all of the information that you folks gave, and appreciated, and put it to good use. I fished piers, one refuge and causeways. All of them coughed up some fish and a lot of learning. Of course the fun was always there. I wanted to fill a freezer for my girl friends elderly parents. I did not fill it, but had one super fish fry of Sheepshead. I bought and left tackle at their house, so the next time I will be a little better prepared. I did get one snook, but the season is closed. I got so many different fish, that I needed to look them up to I.D. them. The heavy rains from earlier dropped the saline levels and made canal fishing poor, so I left it be. I needed to learn how to rig a shrimp to keep from spoon feeding them. All in all, it was a great trip and will be back again. Thank you for all the help. It was great to be there and just catch fish!
9/15/15 @ 9:33 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06
Use to go out every year on one of the charters out of Fort Meyers Beach. Problem is the long ride to get to deeper water. Always fun and always caught fish. All day trip so take a lunch. As for closer to shore fishing, never did as well as charters that go out deep. For shore fishing, go out to Sanibel and drive thru the refuge-lots of spots.
9/14/15 @ 7:32 PM
A5¢
A5¢
Popi. Turn on your PM,please.
9/14/15 @ 2:49 PM
popi
User since 9/25/08
I go down to Marco every year late Dec. - early Jan. I don't fish the piers much but I do go offshore quite a bit.I would be happy to help but there is so much info..two entirely different methods.Maybe PM me with details on what you would be doing most or you could just buy 2 medium rods with spin casters 14 lb test steel leaders or 30 lb test leaders depending on current 1/8 to 3/4 oz jigs white with white hair tails bucket of shrimp pair of gloves needle nose for pier fishing.For off shore 2 medium heavy rods with 2 trolling reels with 20 lb test and 30-40 lb leaders 1-3 oz barrel weights larger circle hooks and cut bait with a chum bag to drag and 2 heavy rods with 30-40 lb test on trolling reals with 100 lb wire leaders 5-8 oz weights large circle hooks ,large pieces of cut bait gimbel belt life jackets gps.............Hire a charter the first time out,once in the back water by the mangroves and once in the open water, that's actually cheaper.In January the sails are over by Miami, grouper is good on the gulf.Sorry for the long wind
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE