LOGIN
Lake-Link

Florida Fishing

1/2/17 @ 6:28 PM
ORIGINAL POST
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/09

I am going to Fort Myers next week for some pier fishing. I have a small pile of gear stashed down there. The walleye gear will be fine for the most part. It seems that shrimp down there, is like crawlers up here. It the go to bait. Gulp shrimp seem to do well. A MUST is a gold Kastmaster, 1 oz. If you are going to be near Lady fish, a chrome/red Gotcha lure. 

Make sure you rinse everything down when you are done. Salt does bad things to good equipment.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 21 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

12/29/17 @ 2:04 PM
livebait wizzard
USER SINCE 11/21/09

You do know that Big Pine was ground zero for that September 2017 Hurricane?

Most if not all of the marinas and campgrounds were decimated. 

Have a buddy 5  miles to the south who says its still a war zone as of today. 

2/28/17 @ 7:59 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER SINCE 10/17/04

Very cool CDS! Glad it worked out besides the boozers...

2/24/17 @ 2:37 PM
madcelt
USER SINCE 3/13/02

Good for you Chris.  It takes a set of stones to do a trip like that.  When can I get my gator?

2/5/17 @ 6:39 PM
jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

Used to live in FL and just got back from Panama. Love the mangroves for 'Cuda fishing. Best ones have a steep drop, at least 5 to6 ft deep at the edge. I like to kayak troll along the edge just off the roots and branches. Paddle fast and throw in a pause every now and then. The Cuda come screaming out of the roots to smack the lure. Johnsons Silver Minnow works great, and easy to get the single hook out of those toothy jaws

2/2/17 @ 9:19 PM
LUV2HNT
USER SINCE 11/3/03
  • Chris,
  • Your trip sounds like an amazing adventure thought the various threads... Glad u are enjoying urself. Sounds like a bucket list adventure or turning out to be?
  • Have fun!

1/12/17 @ 6:53 AM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/09

I got these off of the Bokeelia Fishing Pier on Tuesday with shrimp. The preferred bait was Peeler Crabs, but you need to plan ahead to find them. No all bait shops have them and they run about $7 a dozen. If you have time, they can be collected near the beach.

1/11/17 @ 4:02 PM
Casedog
Casedog
USER SINCE 10/4/11

I caught some nice bass on the small lakes and ponds around Brandon which is 45 minutes southwest of Orlando and about the same distance but just east of Tampa I go down every spring and my biggest is 6lb4oz!! My brother and law who lives down there and fishes 3-5 days a week has still yet to get a 10 pounded! His biggest I believe is right around 9lbs!! PM me if interested!! This year I will be down there 2nd and 3rd week of April!! I might also do a pig hunt this year?? If I remember the pig hunt was pretty affordable? Don't quote me but I think it was $175 for me and nephew from a guy at a local pawn shop! There is plenty of fresh water with huge bluegill! FWIW!

1/11/17 @ 12:24 PM
madcelt
USER SINCE 3/13/02

Chris, can you bring me back a small alligator while you are down there.  Just a 2 or 3 footer will do.  Our department's K9 will be retiring soon and I think a gator would make a good replacement.  I need a young one though.  They are easier to train.

1/3/17 @ 7:31 AM
Mr.Seaguar
USER SINCE 2/5/05

There is a YouTube video for everything.  Florida inshore fish is no exception. Good luck.

1/2/17 @ 7:18 PM
rodmaker
USER SINCE 9/21/04

My mom lives in Ft Myers. I have LOTS of places you can beach fish for reds, sea trout etc. i would suggest, and offer to loan you a couple of 3 pc custom spin rods for the trip. Get a DECENT spin reel loaded with braid and take several pound tests of floro along and you will be all set. If you are interested in taking (2) 3 pieces customs along in a short rod tube (easy for packing) PM me. All i ask is that you return the rods and pick me up a specific kind of tshirt while you are down there. Sounds like a GREAT trip. Have fun. Buzz Butters

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 21 POSTS
Advertise here
Minn Kota Ultra: Proven in the real world. Year after year. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
Whether you’re looking to plan your next fishing trip, or just make the most of your time on the water, the Humminbird FishSmart app can help. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird FishSmart App
Lithium Ion batteries provide a consistent speed and torque from fillet to fillet, without reduced power or slow down as battery power wanes. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala R12 Fillet Knife Kit
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.