MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Fishing trip to Alaska

11/11/21 @ 9:20 PM
INITIAL POST
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
User since 9/6/13

I was just invited to go on a fishing trip next summer to Pybus Point Lodge in Alaska!! To say I am excited is an understatement!!  Anyone ever been there?  Love to hear any and all experiences.  Thanks

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
8/1/22 @ 7:39 AM
MindLeftBowie
MindLeftBowie
PRO MEMBER User since 4/12/21

Great thread LJ, Glad your trip was a success.  I am still pining to go back and cannot wait for my return to Alaska with my wife and boys. 

7/20/22 @ 10:36 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
User since 9/6/13

The trip didn’t disappoint.  The Lodge was first class and the Captain/Guide was very good on putting us on big fish. 

Weather was good first three days, then last day it turned nasty with 30/6s. 

Caught many Halibut that were too big and had to throw back  and Link Cod. 

Whales were all around us and would jump completely out of the water, it sounded like a gun going off!

11/30/21 @ 10:24 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I'd like to do more trips to Alaska but am sort of waiting for my kids to get older to make planning easier.  My wife and I went a few years ago and did a lot of the touristy stuff like glacier tours, national parks, etc.  Did one halibut trip which was fun, I got one 55lbs.  I also watched how others did it to determine how I could go cheaper if I was just doing a fishing trip.  One guy was getting his limit of salmon every morning with just waders and a rod, didn't seem like a big deal.  There was actually a ton of pink salmon in one river and no one wanted them, said they were for kids.  I laugh now when I see it for sale at Walmart like its something special.

This is my super budget plan:

Get a Delta card to earn miles and first checked bag free (saves $60 roundtrip).  Have a couple extra 'bags' be coolers with ratchet straps to keep them closed.  Bring food along in the coolers so you don't have to buy it there, much cheaper.  Then when you are headed home, pack you fish in the coolers.  Carry on a rod.  Clothes in carry on.  Ideally you'd go with another person and could share 1 bag to put your waders in.

Rent a car and stop at Goodwill.  Pick up a cheap tent, sleeping bags, small grill, etc.  Place was full of that stuff when we stopped there.  Then get a cheap campsite.  Could substitute a rental cabin or something here, but camping is the cheapest option.  Then when all done, take the stuff back to Goodwill.  Also stop at Walmart for water or whatever I didn't pack in the coolers.

Just for the heck of it I looked at a random flight in July.  I could get there for $542 round trip MSP to ANC and back.  Rent a car for say $500.  Spend $200 at Goodwill (that would be a lot...).  Go high and say $200 for gas, $200 to freeze fish.  $45 for 7 day fishing license.  Not sure if I'm missing anything, but for a super budget trip that would be around $1500.  Round up to $2000 for things I forgot or miscalculated a little.

Even if I didn't catch anything (would be hard not to), the scenery is still great.  Some of our favorite things we did were free, like hikes.

11/21/21 @ 8:14 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
User since 9/6/13

Sorry, no offense Wini, but if I’m paying 8 grand for a trip, I’m not asking somebody I don’t know to come with me. 

11/17/21 @ 9:16 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

If any of you who are planning a trip to Alaska need another person for your group, please let me know.

11/16/21 @ 10:25 AM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05

My first time in Alaska was in 1991, spent the whole summer up there.. Had a blast catching Halibut  out of Homer and doing a little Salmon fishing. I got married in 2002 and took the bride to Alaska for our honeymoon. She had so much fun catching Halibut she still talks about it. Everyone should do Alaska at least once if they possibly can. Even beside the fishing there is so much more.

11/15/21 @ 5:25 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Been to Alaska twice. Once in June and once in early September. Both times in the Kodiak Islands at the same lodge (Raspberry Island Remote Lodge). I discovered that place when it was on a 2 part show with Larry Csonka. The sockeye were in the rivers during the spring trip and the tanner crab were around. We'd use the salmon carcasses in the crab pots for bait. I think we could keep 7 a day per person. Late summer trip was supposed to be during the silver run. It was unusually hot and dry so the rivers were low and still packed full of pinks that were well past their prime. We only caught a handful. That was disappointing but we did really well out in the strait for several species of rockfish, ling cod and halibut. I got my first halibut over 100 lbs on that trip. We brought home over 150 lbs of fish/seafood both trips to share with family and friends. The lodge workers cleaned, packaged, froze and packed the freezer boxes to the return flight home. Great place to visit. So good we went back a second time. I gotta get my wife up there as there are plenty of other activities outside of the fishing. Sea kayaking was a blast. 

11/13/21 @ 10:18 AM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01

Pool8,

Yes,& no,

All included,except: AK. non-resident fishing lic.,& alcohol.

Flew into Juneau at 3pm the day before our trip,& stayed at nearby motel for the night. Went aboard the boat the next morning,& left marina for our week long trip.

Arrived back to Juneau,a week later,said our goodbyes,& took a cab back to same motel where we stayed the night,flew home the next morning.

First trip in 2014 was with captain Ted,& myself,with 3 other friends aboard Teds 57’ boat. (Ted has retired)

Second Alaskan trip I booked with, captain Tom,& Tish,of Alaska Quest Charters,a husband,& wife team who operate a 65’ boat,that made sure you had the best custom trip of a lifetime. They did!   They are fully booked for 2022,                      

so I’m looking at 2023 trip.

Fishing trip to Alaska photo by fishhook
11/12/21 @ 11:43 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Fishhook, were they all inclusive trips, and if so with who. Thanks in advance .

11/12/21 @ 10:19 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
User since 9/6/13

Those salmon filets look delicious!  Looks like you had everything figured out. Thanks for all the great ideas!!

11/12/21 @ 4:48 PM
fishhook
fishhook

Yes,I bought an insulated corrugated food shipping box in Juneau to ship 75lbs of vac sealed frozen salmon,some crab and prawns that we caught while on our trip. Took it with me to the airport and checked it. ’

I was amazed how many people were checking seafood boxes like we were. 

11/12/21 @ 4:29 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
User since 9/6/13

We’re heading up July14-18. Did you ship fish home?  I plan on eating vast amounts while up there!

11/12/21 @ 3:07 PM
fishhook
fishhook

Mid,to late July is a good time to go.

When would you go?

11/12/21 @ 3:01 PM
fishhook
fishhook

LJ,

The last trip to Alaska,we were there July 20-30,2017.

11/12/21 @ 9:32 AM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
User since 9/6/13

Those are some fantastic pictures Fishook!  I believe Pybus Point is located on Admiralty Is.  what time of the year were you there?  Thanks for sharing!!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE