MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Fishing line recommendations

12/11/19 @ 12:30 PM
INITIAL POST
MileMark_714
Big-Fish-R
User since 4/9/08

This is in regards to summer fishing line.  This past year I've had a lot of bad luck with fishing line.  A lot of tangles, etc.  I haven't had this problem before as bad.  I have tried numerous brands of mono line all with problems.  Had some luck with non mono lines, but family doesn't like as much.  I usually  use 6-10 lb test

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
12/17/19 @ 10:43 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

I have not used mono on my spinning gear for years and exclusively use Suffix 832. I've given away my Fireline and have used PP and Slick 8. 

This is a link to common causes of casting knots aka wind knots that is quite informative: https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fishing-wind-knots/ 

Grey Beard

12/17/19 @ 10:15 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

My question was does braid repel water like 4# floro I use now.

This topic covers ways to remove tangle from line that spinning reels create.

The solution was braid line.

I fish outside and do not need a reel of frozen line to deal with!

12/15/19 @ 9:07 AM
4GILL
4GILL
User since 3/1/15

For people having trouble with tangling due to the tendency of spinning reels putting a twist in line, one technique might help...   Periodically take off any lures, weights and terminal tackle from the end of your line and "troll" line behind boat at a slow speed until all of the line is out.  Slowly wind the line in while boat is still in motion.  If you do this every so often, you may find a reduction to the amount of tangles.   Good luck on the water.

12/15/19 @ 3:59 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

I will 2nd what R_C said about the Power Pro #10, I will never go back to mono...........I have some reels with 4+ year old line and it is as good as new other that the last 20 feet or so are faded. I do use a short mono 4# leader of about 2 feet connected with a tiny swivel. This is on summer rods. I tried a super braid on ice rods a few years ago and did not like it. It interfered with the Vex readings, not sure why, may be air bubbles in the line or? In the summer we troll or drift with long lines for panfish and the non-stretch braid is a real difference maker IMO............... 

12/14/19 @ 9:02 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

How is that braid out side on days like today, our tip up line froze on spools when we tried to move any distance. I imagine same with ice reels, my floro has bad days with snow getting frozen when dropping pole?

12/14/19 @ 8:01 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I think you will like that braid casts out further too.  Just know that you may need different type of knot with braid. I had to go from improved clinch knot to palomar.  Easier knot anyway.

12/14/19 @ 1:48 PM
Big-Fish-R
User since 4/9/08

I did have some lower priced reels, that could be part of problem.  I just ordered 2 plueger purist reels.  I will swap those out.  I will try power pro stuff too.

12/13/19 @ 6:31 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I had it with the tangles too so people here steered me to 10# Power Pro braided.  I will never go back to mono except to use as a 4 foot leader at the end of the braid. 

12/13/19 @ 5:06 PM
Badger1984
User since 3/23/14

You are spooling it on back wards probably 

12/13/19 @ 1:18 PM
jimdic
User since 4/16/13

Power Pro Braid.  Use a fluoro leader in clear water.

12/12/19 @ 9:30 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Is your drag set too light?   Yes, the reel could be the problem. I use Shimono. They have a system that helps prevent this type of problem. It’s called “ line management system”.i believe. CARPIO 

12/11/19 @ 9:55 PM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
User since 11/22/10

Get your line spooled on a machine.  Most places that have one do it for free.

12/11/19 @ 3:07 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I've had good luck with Suffix

12/11/19 @ 2:42 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

4# floro is normal ice line I use. Get it in winter spools, the summer ones are stiff in cold water.

The reel you are using has a lot to do with tangled line. The newer inline ones are a lot better than spinning reel ones. Or are you hand over hand fishing bobbers.

Colored line can help, not easy when line blends in.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE