MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fish You Can't Move! Your stories please.......

8/23/14 @ 6:22 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Marc711
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
I was out yesterday fishing lite tackle-finesse bass, and hooked one down about 14' deep.

When I set the hook my rod maxed out and I could not move it! Got me to remembering what a rush it is to hook a big one that maxes out your gear.

For me it's always really a rush when this happens on a big river because you really never know what you have - carp, catfish, or walleye of a lifetime!

How about you guys?

Elk River Custom Rods
(715) 339-4209
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/7/14 @ 12:40 AM
5walleyes
5walleyes
User since 3/12/10
Last summer while fishing a lake Up North I watched a guy in a nearby boat hook into a "monster". He battled the beast for several minutes, pole doubled over at a right angle, drag screaming as he reeled furiously. I could tell immediately by the way his pole wasn't moving and the "fish" wasn't moving that his whopper was a snag. After a while his buddy pulled up the anchor and they slowly gained some inches on the leviathan. He reeled the boat over to where the Moby had itself pinned to the bottom. Now he's right above it,sitting in the fighting chair, putting his back into trying to lift the beast from the depths below like he's fighting a 1000lb marlin, pole bent into the water, drag screaming as fast as he's reeling, buddy anxiously waiting with the net. The monster would not budge. He gave one last full body heave and then the unthinkable happened....SNAP!! Not only did his pole snap in half the line broke too. As I nearly peed myself trying not to laugh too loud, they sat and stared at the water in disbelief. Their world record whatever it was was gone! Hopefully the broken pole was worth the lifetime of stories he'll tell of the 100 pounder that got away. I wonder if he got a replica made of it. Big Smile

10/6/14 @ 8:04 PM
roofer
User since 6/6/04
While I've never have smoked anything,,, I believe that I'll start with whatever Casting uses. COME ON DUDE, the best stories always start " THIS IS NO SNIT'

10/2/14 @ 5:49 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Remember back when Al Lindner introduced all of us to waterdogs? My first trip using them was in late October. Had a cooler with about six of them in it, and was scared to death to touch them. Well I finally got up the nerve and put one on a Lindy rig, and lowered into a pile of big fish that my paper graph was showing me. THUMP, what a hit, as I fought this lunker, I was already visiting the taxidermist in my mind. This had to be the biggest walleye of my life. Finally, out of the depths she came up, what a fish, the biggest eelpout I'd ever seen.

What a let down!

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
9/24/14 @ 12:18 PM
Dizzy9257
User since 1/27/04
Was in a bass tourny on a river in Italy and hooked a Wels catfish that was as long as the 10ft boat I was in. Where that fish wanted to go we went, there was no controlling him or the boat. Got him up to boat twice trying to get my jerkbait back before my partner tried to grab it and it surged and broke my 65lb braid.

9/24/14 @ 1:10 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
miger8tr. Does not surprise me with a Bagley Lure. My brother lost a 50+ inch on a Bagley, the lure was broken in half, I was there. Bagley replaced it and claimed they had a bad batch of plastic. Keep your Baglies down south for the stupid bass, they don't work on toothy critters.

9/24/14 @ 12:59 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
Years ago (80's)was out on sort of a charter on L. Michigan out of Waukegan. Hooked up big time, drag screaming. Boat going one way fish going the opposite. Wannabe charter Cpt. came over and tightened the drag. After a few minutes he tightened it further, after another few the line went slack. Splash on the surface way back (300 yards)and it was gone. The single hook on the spoon was straight, what an (&^$%(^&%$.

8/29/14 @ 3:10 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
I was musky fishing I the mid 90's on a small lake that had a ridiculous amount of muskies in it. The lake wasn't a secret and received a fair amount of pressure for both it's size and it's difficult access. Most went around the edge with some sort of buck tail or shallow running lures. I knew that the fish in this lake loved to lazily follow lures they had seen several times a day and never strike. I also knew they were more prone to strike in deeper water and on a retrieve and lure they hadn't seen often.

So I was working a deeper weed flat, ripping a new out of the box large Bagley crank thru the weeds. I was in an area where I knew a large log was laying just below the surface but I was certain that I wasn't close enough to hook it. Suddenly on a rip of the lure it came to an absolute dead stop. A stop so sudden and without give I was almost positive that it was that log. That 10% of doubt I had that it just might not be the log had me keep firm pressure on it as I started the trolling motor towards it. As I moved to it I seemed to be gaining more line than I was actually moving so I stopped and pulled a little harder. Sure enough, it was coming towards me. Then past me. I knew this was a big, big fish at this point so I set the hook again and just stayed with it. There was nothing but seemingly dead weight, no head shake or anything just a steady swim towards deep water. I just stayed with it. After maybe 15 minutes and it taking me about 200 yds from where I hooked it, it just came to a stop. I pulled trying to budge it but there was just no give. And then, nothing. Gone. Reeled in the lure and it was mashed. Huge tooth marks that sunk deep in the balsa. I have no idea how big that fish was but I know it was huge.

8/28/14 @ 9:02 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11
In my experience, most fish that you can't move off the bottom are snagged.

Even with light tackle, a fish hooked in the mouth will tire.

There was one on the wisconsin river fishing for walleye that I thought for sure was a record. Battled it for probably a half an hour-wouldn't come off the bottom easily. Finally got it to the surface and was a 20lb channel cat hooked square in the back.

8/28/14 @ 3:49 PM
Marc711
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
BigMusky12 - too funny! Ain't that just musky fishing!

Elk River Custom Rods
(715) 339-4209
8/28/14 @ 12:01 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04
I dont think there has ever been a fish I hooked that I thought was a snag. There have been lots of fish that were difficult to move though.

One fish though did the exact opposite. I was setting up some suckers to fish and drifted out over 50FOW on a lake with sharp drop offs. After I got them out, I proceeded with trolling motor back to break line and started casting.

One of the suckers starting clicking, but never went under. Basically acting like a weed was on sucker. I reeled it in a little and did not feel anything, so I set it back in holder. Started moving again and it started clicking again. I pick up rod and start reeling it in slowly and could feel something was out of place. Felt like sucker was tangled side ways on hook. Float never went under or even moved.

Just kept reeling it in some more until the thing is probably 10 feet from boat and can then see a 48+ musky holding that damn sucker. It looked at me and took off and I set hook hard. Fcught fish for a little while and then it literally jumped over my outboard. I lost it.... Sad

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.