9/26/22 @ 8:21 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Try the 3$ one first.   CARPIO 

9/26/22 @ 5:08 PM
moon-glo
User since 11/6/09

Thanks all for your sharpener recommendations!

9/26/22 @ 3:21 PM
xlesox
User since 3/13/09

The Redi-Edge is pretty aggressive and the first time that you use it on a knife it may take off some pretty good shavings if the angle of the knife is different than the sharpener.  After the first time or two, it is really just cleaning up the edge.  I am pretty happy with the results, using it primarily on standard Rapala knives.

9/26/22 @ 2:30 PM
Carpio
Carpio

X.    That redi-edge does look like it would do the job but with other carbide sharpeners that I’ve tried they had a tendency to “ tear” knives with SS blades.  With high carbon blades they worked fine.    I’ve never used a “ redi - edge “ so I can’t judge its efficiency.     CARPIO 

9/26/22 @ 12:39 PM
xlesox
User since 3/13/09

My personal favorite is the Redi-Edge, a small handheld that you can order for about $25.  Does a great job of keeping and edge and if you wear it out, you can get replacement carbides.  I have been using them for about 15 years and have got many of my fishing partners sold on them, as well.

9/26/22 @ 9:32 AM
Carpio
Carpio

Wini.  I’m like you in that respect but I finally settled on this one.  3$ and it really reconditions and sharpens your beat- old knives.    It’s not the old red RAPALA sharpener that you got when you bought one of their knives. This one is gray and has a COARSE side that does an exc job of pre- sharpening.   The angle of the stones won’t allow a heavy, thick knife to reach the cutting edge but those knives aren’t really for filleting.    You can’t go wrong for 3 bucks!     CARPIO 

Filet Knife Sharpener photo by Carpio
9/26/22 @ 8:33 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

I think I have tried most sharpeners that are available. My favorite is made by Cutco. Just a small handheld sharpener. They are expensive. However they come with a lifetime guarantee. I believe I have returned for a new one about three or four times now without any additional cost. I keep one in my tackle box and another in the kitchen.

I think a lot has to do with how soft the metal is on your knife. Most filet knife's are made with relatively soft metal which requires sharpening more often. I have some soft metal paring knife's that I use in my kitchen that I sharpen every week. They are cheap knives but I find myself using them often.

9/26/22 @ 8:32 AM
CHISEL
PRO MEMBER User since 6/19/01

Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition. Picked one up this year and in a couple minutes you could shave with your knife. Takes a little practice to learn how to use it but is the best sharpener I ever owned and I've have tried a lot of them. Best part is you can buy new belts for it so it will never wear out like many sharpeners do.

9/26/22 @ 5:52 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

I HAVE ONE MADE BY IRON RIVER.  IT IS A SMALL THAT YOU CAN HOLD IN YOUR HAND WORKS VERY GOOD

9/25/22 @ 8:37 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Either of these. 

Filet Knife Sharpener photo by eyesman
Filet Knife Sharpener photo by eyesman
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE