SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Cheaters caught

10/1/22 @ 5:07 PM
INITIAL POST
bass2403
User since 10/15/03

Two anglers were caught putting weights in walleyes in a tournament on lake Erie. They were suspected of cheating in the past. There's videos on Wisconsin walleye Fanatics.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 50 posts
5/12/23 @ 7:51 PM
surf n turf
PRO MEMBER User since 1/31/07
Seems like they got off easy. I think fishing license suspended 3 years. Should have been permanent. Lost the boat but they didn't pay for it anyways. Has to be awful embarrassing though. 
5/12/23 @ 6:37 AM
Moon River
PRO MEMBER User since 12/8/22
Lake Erie cheaters sentenced yesterday! 10 days in jail. $2,500 fine. 1-1/2 years probation.
5/1/23 @ 8:18 AM
Mirroman
Mirroman
User since 3/29/22
Further proof that stupid is what stupid does...

?Cheaters caught in a sucker tournament.???
11/10/22 @ 5:36 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Sure do.

11/10/22 @ 5:35 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

It's my understanding these guys are being prosecuted under several fraud statutes.  Seems like overkill, but the tournament organizers are seeking return of monies, awards, etc.  Other organizers from past tournies are pressing for these charges sol they can recover past money and awards also.  

Tournies have been plagued in the past with allegations of cheating or unfair competition.  This is most likely an attempt to show that organizers are serious about putting on honest comepetitions. 

11/10/22 @ 4:48 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

Leechster, yeah I get that. $1 for the first fish, $2 for the biggest, etc. but I know you know what I mean.

11/10/22 @ 10:28 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Jimbo - a few years back there was a YouTube series in Texas where deer hunters actually went out and used blanks and scope cameras in a contest.  The format was actually pretty cool - there were designated hunting areas, and they had some preliminary way of determining who got to hunt where.

It was usually 3 well-known hunters in each video.  I can't recall any of the names anymore, but one of them was in his 60s, sported a mustache and glasses, and often liked to hunt deer with his pistol.

The scope cameras recorded "hits" or "misses" and they also got scored on ethical shots, maturity of the buck IIRC.

So, in that fashion "shoot and release" hunting did exist.

11/9/22 @ 5:05 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

JimBo, There are thousands of Tourneys for every hunting season between family and friends all the time. You could call them private tourneys but they are the same thing. I wonder if any cheating takes place during these tournaments? Lol

11/9/22 @ 4:28 PM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05

I don't think it worth wasting public resources (DA's, police etc) to prosecute these guys.  They will never be allowed in a tournament again and their personal brands are shot.  good enough for me.  I agree with Bowhunter.  I just don't really care what people in a tournament do or don't do.  I don't generally like tournaments but that is just me.

11/1/22 @ 4:37 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

Bowhunter Guy, I appreciate your take on these guys and second your thoughts. What is it about fish that so angers some people and brings out such virulence as seen on the video when these guys were caught cheating. You'd think these guys had just committed a major crime against mankind. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for these guys getting fined, lose their fishing licenses for a few years, and have to pay back any pasy winnings from other tournaments they were in. But wherever there is money involved in an outcome of something there is going to be cheating. I've never believed in "fishing for money". Isn't fishing supposed to be an outlet, a hobby, an avocation, a way to enjoy a fish fry once in awhile? Why aren't there duck hunting tournaments or turkey tournaments or deer hunting tournaments. There's no such thing as "shoot and release" hunting but when it comes to fishing whoa be it to the guy who posts that he caught 3 bass and he kept them. You would think that he had just shot a Bald Eagle or a Whooping Crane. Certain factions of the hunting/fishing population want to crucify those who don't play by the rules and yes, there are rules in every walk of life. So let the DNR or tournament directors enforce those rules but don't let your hatred take over your life.  Just my 2¢

11/1/22 @ 2:33 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Antler, if you re-read what I wrote I clearly never said I was okay with it. And I figured my opinion may not be popular as I’m not joining the angry mob. I believe in doing everything with integrity and cheating is not part of that program. By all means, if your heart is inherently pure please throw the first stone. My point is that people love to hate these guys, because most people probably don’t cheat in tournaments. Would you hate them as much if it was a different crime?

11/1/22 @ 11:51 AM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05

You may be fine with it Bowhunting Guy but I hope these two scumbags get prosecuted to the fullest extent. 

11/1/22 @ 11:34 AM
wallstreet
User since 9/10/15

Does cheating with someone else's wife count? I'm against tournament fishing unless the fish are measured and released immediately. 

11/1/22 @ 8:48 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

You’d think these guys were responsible for genocide with the attention they’ve gotten. People always need someone to hate. 

I’ve grown to be quite negative toward tournament fishing in general. Exploiting a public resource for financial gain just doesn’t quite pass my smell test anymore. Especially now that it’s become more of a video game with watching four 13” screens and not putting a bait in the water unless you see fish on the Live Scope. 

So if you’re ready to burn these guys at the stake, it may be a good time to self reflect. Have you ever cheated on your taxes? Your wife? Gotten a DUI? You fill in the blank. Are these guys’ sins any worse than yours? 

10/31/22 @ 9:33 AM
Bug zapper 2
User since 10/7/18

These scumbags should never be in another tournament anywhere ever again!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 50 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE