LOGIN
Lake-Link

Bowfin

6/24/16 @ 9:45 AM
ORIGNAL POST
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
User since 10/9/12

Anybody know of any lakes or rivers that are full of bowfin? They are really fun to catch and would like too catch a few.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/20/18 @ 7:13 AM
BoboJay
BoboJay
User since 1/24/15

I finally got a bowfin to add to this year's species list.

1/20/17 @ 4:42 PM
crappies ya
User since 1/15/12

Backwaters of the Wolf river .

1/20/17 @ 12:18 PM
sassy 1
User since 8/25/09

They hit like a train fight like crazy,but one things true they can destroy a spinner bait, 

1/18/17 @ 8:26 PM
MRGLAX
User since 10/20/05

The funnest fish to catch and by far the most underrated fish around.  The only fish so aggressive I almost got one to eat a dead sunfish out of my hand in 6" of water.  As was said you can find them in places you would find bass, but if you're specifically trying to find them out I would look in weedy areas that are too shallow, mucky and stagnant to hold much else.  As mentioned the backwaters around La Crosse are good, there are shallow weedy areas on both sides of the pike between La Crosse and La Crescent that would be a good place to try but I doubt you could get in there with anything other than a canoe or airboat.  They will eat spinners and buzzbaits no doubt, but they fight so hard that they will twist them up like pretzels.  I actually had one break a buzzbait pike fishing and got nothing back but my leader, still clipped.  Throwing stuff like soft rubber frogs and flukes, or hardbaits like Silver Minnows and Spooks will catch them just fine and save you money in the long run.

4/30/12 @ 10:22 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Weeds, That's a big one!!! It must have been a hella of a fight!! I always say they put up twice the fight of  a Catfish the same size!!! Wow!!!! Good one!!!

1/17/17 @ 9:43 PM
weedweesle69
User since 7/29/12

The willow flowage is full of bow fin and big ones

12/10/16 @ 2:12 AM
shadling1
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

As has been said the Mississippi River backwaters for sure. I don't think you can NOT catch one there. I lose track of how many I catch there bass fishing sometimes. I'll also get my share of them on the WI river when smallie fishing. The top baits I always seem to get them on are either a spinner bait or a shallow crankbait. 

12/10/16 @ 12:09 AM
catchinabuzz
catchinabuzz
User since 8/1/11

In mukwanago mid summer frog alley is full of them the fox is full if them

7/2/16 @ 7:00 AM
thefishingboy
User since 9/11/04
Pretty much anywhere on the Missisppi River, Black River, and Lake Onalaska around LaCrosse. You can't NOT catch one while bass fishing

6/29/16 @ 8:06 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Any of the Mississippi river backwaters, throw spinners in the shallows. The commercial guys net them to sell the roe (google bowfin caviar)

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.