MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Best rig for kids

7/30/20 @ 11:04 AM
INITIAL POST
betterthanwork09
betterthanwork09
User since 8/28/15

What is the best way to rig up a kids pole? I've tried slip bobbers, fixed bobbers, and drop shots but it's a challenge for them. Drop shots function the best but with no bobber to watch they are bored. Bobbers seem to always be snagged

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
8/7/20 @ 2:10 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

great pics... happy kids says it all

8/7/20 @ 12:58 PM
betterthanwork09
betterthanwork09
User since 8/28/15

Couple pictures of our success.

Carolina rig for the win!

8/7/20 @ 12:55 PM
betterthanwork09
betterthanwork09
User since 8/28/15

Thanks for your opinions on things. I agree with the not fishing myself and just watch and help them. All it leads to is frustration

8/5/20 @ 9:54 AM
IMhooked
User since 1/23/03
IMHO the rig is secondary to the location. Kids will become comfortable and confident in whatever they have success with (live bait, artificials, drop shot, slip bobbers, trolling). 

Get on a body of water or a location on a body of water that lends itself well to fairly quick success and get them the reps. Excitement and enthusiasm will follow!

If you can find some cribs, sit on them with a drop shot. If you have weedlines with aggressive pike, smallies or walleyes have them do some snap jigging up front while you tow a couple live bait rigs around with small and medium suckers. Isolated weedbeds or stump fields, throw some slip bobbers with half a crawler or leeches on a jig. If you're fishing a flowage find bends in the main and secondary channels and use a split shot 12-18" up the line from a plain octopus hook and live bait and drift.

8/4/20 @ 12:18 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

X2 with Jamesd, when my boys were young and I was getting them introduced to fishing I didn't fish. At 4 or 5 years old it was cane poles with a number 6 gold hook a couple of split shots and a bobber. We'd pull up to a weed edge and fish.  My job was to bait,  untangle and unhook.  I figured if I tried to fish to I'd get frustrated and I didn't want that. I just wanted them to have fun,  in turn I had a ball watching them.  Good luck and enjoy. 

8/4/20 @ 11:56 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Sounds like you have the top three best ways to get kids started going for you already. In my experience, the final ingredient is a ton patience and some experience baiting hooks and untangling lines. Even if you feel frustrated, remember, that the young people probably had a good time anyway.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE